Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must say this is just sinking in now, WTF did I do....

Anyway I'll keep you all updated on the progress but hopefully I'll be finished in 4 days with it... Wish me luck.... lol :eek:

PPG base black before silver pearl.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
I have asked myself WTF have I done a few times during a mod mainly my MFR-mod LOL but it always has worked it self out. Good Luck!!! can't wait to see the finished product

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Done... Except for clear, I'll save that for tomorrow, I just couldn't walk away.
Sorry for the large images i just didn't have time to crop...

Silver Pearl Marble-ized... Love this trick.

Candy Apple Red, on-top of the Silver pearl... This picture doesn't do it justice, it looks hot.

Opaq White to start foundation for lightning, then Candy Violet on-top.

After Candy Violet, I then went over that really fine erratic lines to highlight the lightning.

And the final three pieces ready for clearcoat.

I think they all turned out great, I just hope I don't f*** the clear up.

Goodnight... I'm beat.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Very talented stuff right there :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
that is one sick paint job.

reminds me of probably what my arteries will look like if i continue to eat Hooters wings!, truly awesome.

btw, more 'in the shade' daylight pictures of the whole bike and detail areas.
I am very impressed...you did ths yourself, I assume?

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Lookin real good! wish I had that type of creativity and artistic ability....can't wait to see it on the bike and in better light!!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Coming along great! Did you saran wrap do do marble?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Congratulations, it is looking great! Like the others, I can't wait to see it back together!

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Coming along great! Did you saran wrap do do marble?
Busted... :D

I just finished putting the clear on, when it is dry to touch i'll take some pics outside since it's nice and sunny here today. Thanks everyone for the nice comments, I'm really stoked about it... The clear really deepened the graphics as I hoped. The pearl really stands out while the sun hits it.

I am very impressed...you did ths yourself, I assume?
I did, but props to painter for giving me that confidence boost, and some guidence.

Here's some sunny pics...

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Very nice and talent galore!!! :eek: Great job on the marble. for a DIY you should pat yourself on the back!:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Enlighten us on the saran wrap please
It's so easy to do schmud and the effect is fantastic yet looks expensive, I only use pearls though (silver works best for me), painter might have other suggestions as he's the professional...

But spray your black base (again IMO black works best) let dry fully where you can wet sand... Then spray your pearl silver I usually go somewhat heavy don't spray like you would a basecoat (light even coats), get your saran wrap and stretch over the painted silver pearl.

Now this is strictly up to you/artist, but you can leave it silver or apply some candy color over top of it, but DO NOT SAND the pearl.

I chose candy apple red as it matched the color of my fury quite nicely.

I had done test panels after test panels after test panels... to get this right, i was jumping from colors to colors with pearls and candy, infact hours before I took the plunge I changed the lighning from blue to purple on the oldlady's advice....

Honestly I just don't know how some of these guys get away with what they charge for custom work... (no offense painter if you're still in the biz)
Yes it takes a ton of man hours to prep and stuff but I had the tins done in 12hrs ready to clear, but that doesn't include sanding to bare metal.

What I painted, I was essentially quoted $1100 from a custom guy here...

I cut that in half doing it myself. I won't lie though there was plenty of aggravation abound, attempt after attempt.... screw up after screw up. But in the end I love how it turned out. I'm quite proud of it but I can see subtle mistakes I made with the clear so I'll sand and buff it tonight to try and get those out, a little orangepeely but again I'll see if i can sand that out I went heavy with the clear coats just for this reason. There are 5 coats of clear on it.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
No offense, my friend..... But.... the Pro Painter's price tag is not far off. When you hire a painter, he must correct (and be responsible for) every mistake. The hours you worked on the project is the only profit he would make! :eek:

The saran wrap trick is one of the best (and easiest) tools for marbleization. For the time you put into your work, just think about the time that could and would be spent on murals, detailed scenes or tri-coats. :eek: Spraying all those test panels, trial and errors and the time and materials to do the actual paint.

You did a GREAT JOB and I wish you all the best in future paint jobs. Remember that custom painters are doing this for a living and even though I, myself, cut prices for members and friends, I couldn't do all jobs for cost as I would be out of business.

Doing a job that turns out right the first time is great--but think about all the small boo boo's that can kill your paint job and cost you dearly. I enjoy those who will try to paint their own bike. GREAT! You did so much research and testing that anyone who would try this would have to do as well.

My compliments on a great looking job! You did your homework, sought advise from others, used quality products and made it happen! :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts