Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my drive back from the dealer all put back together and ready for install. One small problem though torque bushing hole has some chrome in it so the bushing won't fit need some suggestion from anyone who has had to remove some unwanted chrome. I know RSS had to remove some from his trees. Here's a couple pics more to come

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Bad news... You ruined your final drive. The good news is that I am a nice guy and will trade you my stock one so you can get back on the road.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
that looks so sharp!! im such a sucker for chrome

·
Registered
118 Posts
looks great.

Can't address your question but how much did the dealer charge to disassemble and reassemble your final drive? The quote i got was $380 (4 hours).

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Wouldn't want to comment on the issue until I saw it up close to see what exactly your up against but I did want to comment to say how nice that looks.

Look Awesome!!

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I would PM Clueless, he would seem to know what to do, how to do it and what not to do. Final drives are expensive. It does look Purrrdy! Very, Very Purrrdy! I think RSS is going to start thinking about more chrome now. Right RED.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Yo, IMWright---what say ye to this dilemma? on Amerc.Chopper they always grind out the chrome on inside access or threaded holes.
The base metal looks like aluminum--but, I'm no metalurgist.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
This is a genuine concern of mine, having a box full of parts i want to have chromed; not the pumpkin, she is going a different route. With all the threaded holes in the parts, how do you get something dipped in nickle then chrome and not have it clog up the important ports?

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
I would PM Clueless, he would seem to know what to do, how to do it and what not to do. Final drives are expensive. It does look Purrrdy! Very, Very Purrrdy! I think RSS is going to start thinking about more chrome now. Right RED.
Yes, could possibly be doing that... ;)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Classic Components did the drive, rims and a bunch of misc. parts they charged me $85.00 for the drive and I'm extremely happy with everything they did. Took my dremel and a mild abbrassive wheel took about 30 sec to sand the hole there wasn't much chrome inside just at the edge on top. They did a great job with the bolts and keeping chrome out of the threaded areas the drive was the only thing I had to mess with. The dealership charged me $450.00 teardown and reassemble with new bearings but I would suggest getting it in writing and reading the fine print. I've got the front back together and should have the rear together tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Classic Components did the drive, rims and a bunch of misc. parts they charged me $85.00 for the drive and I'm extremely happy with everything they did. Took my dremel and a mild abbrassive wheel took about 30 sec to sand the hole there wasn't much chrome inside just at the edge on top. They did a great job with the bolts and keeping chrome out of the threaded areas the drive was the only thing I had to mess with. The dealership charged me $450.00 teardown and reassemble with new bearings but I would suggest getting it in writing and reading the fine print. I've got the front back together and should have the rear together tomorrow.
i can never tell, but did you have the rotor chromed, or is that polished?

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
Good to hear, I've been thinking of having my forks and final drive chromed along with my wheels if there won't be a ridiculous amount of cleanup involved. I figure I'll break everything down and reassemble myself, I'd rather spend $400 on a shop press than pay the dealer to install bearings and provide labor... but I'm stubborn like that.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
That looks Fantastic, can't wait to see it back together.

This is a genuine concern of mine, having a box full of parts i want to have chromed; not the pumpkin, she is going a different route. With all the threaded holes in the parts, how do you get something dipped in nickle then chrome and not have it clog up the important ports?
Get a tap and die set (doesn't have to be an expensive one, I use a 10 dollar one from Harbor Freight for this ) or a set of thread chasers to clean the holes.

Good to hear, I've been thinking of having my forks and final drive chromed along with my wheels if there won't be a ridiculous amount of cleanup involved. I figure I'll break everything down and reassemble myself, I'd rather spend $400 on a shop press than pay the dealer to install bearings and provide labor... but I'm stubborn like that.
You might give Gateway Xtreme or Stumpwerx a call, they do the teardown on VTX finals, they may be set up to do the Fury

1 - 20 of 26 Posts