Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im making my decision between the Thundr MFG and LM adapters in chrome for my new filter. I like the looks of the LM and how it covers more but im a little apprehensive about chromed fiberglass. To be honest i didn't even know that you could chrome fiberglass.

Can someone with some knowledge about this chime in about the durability of something like this?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have the black so I can't speak about the chrome but 1/2 our bikes are chromed plastic so why not fiber glass? Plus I think they gel coat the fiber glass before chroming it. The black adapters are just the black gelcoat and it is very 'plastic like'. Extremely smooth and clean surface for a chrome finish.

What intake are you mounting on the adapter?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have the chrome one from L & M it seems to be fine .Clean & polish it with mothers chrome polish with a clean micro fiber cloth.It looks awesome with the chrome air spike from Demons Cycles

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
I have both L&M adapters (intake & ignition) covers and love them. I will say the install of the air intake is very poorly thought out in design and will make you either pull your hair out or break something. After having to removing it several times for various reasons I came up with my own idea that is now much easier.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have both L&M adapters (intake & ignition) covers and love them. I will say the install of the air intake is very poorly thought out in design and will make you either pull your hair out or break something. After having to removing it several times for various reasons I came up with my own idea that is now much easier.
Hey Dave
DO TELL IT REALLY IS A PAIN IN THE ASS

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What intake are you mounting on the adapter?
Got the chrome spike from D2Moto like about half of everyone else. Way to be different huh?!

After having to removing it several times for various reasons I came up with my own idea that is now much easier.
I would like to hear any advice you have!

·
Registered
427 Posts
JATO I went with the L&M black.. I just got it today and I really like the looks of it..I had to go with the chrome spike, didnt have any black..

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
I would like to hear any advice you have![/QUOTE]

JATO, here is the link to the install for L&M intake adapter.

Honda Fury Intake adapter (Not the air cleaner)

I have the chrome version and it really looks awesome however in my opinion the install for this adapter is poorly thought out in design. I have broken many items trying to follow the directions they show and god bless any of those who have done it because they are a better man than I.
The video explains to remove your stock air cleaner and use the rubber boot from your stock air cleaner on this adapter. You are suppose to mount the boot and your spike to this adapter prior to install of adapter. Once mounted on the adapter you are suppose to put the adapter in place and some how get the rubber boot to slip in place over the throttle body. There is a small access window to look in and slip a screw driver in once its in place to tighten the clamp that holds the boot onto the throttle body.

It sounds easy enough and the video install looks great but I have yet to get it to work the way its shown. The problem is the spike is already mounted so you can't see by looking into the small window where you tighten the clamp if the boot has slipped over the throttle body properly. Even if you think you have on there correctly there is no way of telling for sure because you can't see it.

Here's what I did. I used epoxy to lock into place three 10/24 nuts to the back side of the adapter prior to mounting the spike. I then took the rubber boot and tightened it on the throttle body. I then screwed the adapter in place and because the spike is no longer mounted I was able to simply work the rubber boot into the correct position on the adapter and could see that it was in place properly. Now you can mount the spike up with three 10/24 threaded screws and remove and replace it easily.
I really love the look of the dual spikes and the chrome version adapters covers on both sides looks awesome! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JATO I went with the L&M black.. I just got it today and I really like the looks of it..I had to go with the chrome spike, didnt have any black..
Make sure you put up some good pics. Lookin fwd to checking it out.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tip Dave!

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Same way here to , Think I posted it before . One thing I did on the dual bracket was drilled threw and installed a push pin at the top and it holds it fine plus easly removed . The Instructions say epoxy or silicone , didnt like that . Painted mine silver . I Love Em .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Here's what I did. I used epoxy to lock into place three 10/24 nuts to the back side of the adapter prior to mounting the spike. I then took the rubber boot and tightened it on the throttle body. I then screwed the adapter in place and because the spike is no longer mounted I was able to simply work the rubber boot into the correct position on the adapter and could see that it was in place properly. Now you can mount the spike up with three 10/24 threaded screws and remove and replace it easily.
I really love the look of the dual spikes and the chrome version adapters covers on both sides looks awesome! Good luck!
Great tips Dave. I'll be installing mine tomorrow and this advice will be very helpful.

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Great tips Dave. I'll be installing mine tomorrow and this advice will be very helpful.
It's been so long now I almost forgot about this but I do remember tearing a few hairs out of my head with this one. Gob bless you if you are able to assembly this mod by way of the instructions and any other way than what I have suggested.
I must add ....however you get there the end result is very much worth the effort.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's been so long now I almost forgot about this but I do remember tearing a few hairs out of my head with this one. Gob bless you if you are able to assembly this mod by way of the instructions and any other way than what I have suggested.
I must add ....however you get there the end result is very much worth the effort.
I did mine by following the instructions. The video doesn't say to mount the spike first, just the elbow. You can see through the elbow to help align the boot on the throttle body and the elbow isn't in the way of tightening the clamp. IMHO.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I used quick set JB Weld on the nuts and they popped off when I went to install. My mistake was probably that the nuts are smooth and should have been roughed up. This time I'm using Loctite epoxy, I roughed up the nuts and I'm going to put enough epoxy around the nuts to pretty much encase them so they can't go anywhere.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Here's another tip that should make future removal of the LM adapter easier. I replaced the phillips screw on the rubber boot clamp with a hex head. Something like this.

With the hex head screw, no pressure is needed to loosen or tighten it so the clamp will not turn. As Dave said, the installation on this thing was not well thought out.

I also corrected my first poor attempt at epoxying the nuts into place which I did with the rubber boot still installed. I found it much easier to remove the boot so I could completely encase the nuts being careful not to touch the threads on the bolts which were there to ensure proper alignment. I used quick set Loctite epoxy and let it get just hard enough to prevent it from running off the top of the nut. Worked like a charm - that nut ain't going anywhere.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts