Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit thinking about buying new wheels or having the oems chromed/polished. But preferably would I get new rims, for instance like those on the fury of the month november.

Does anyone know if there are any problems or things to consider when buying a new chrome set of wheels on an abs bike?

For instance does the abs sensor ring need special mounting holes?

Any help/advice is welcome here :D

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
I'm a bit thinking about buying new wheels or having the oems chromed/polished. But preferably would I get new rims, for instance like those on the fury of the month november.

Does anyone know if there are any problems or things to consider when buying a new chrome set of wheels on an abs bike?

For instance does the abs sensor ring need special mounting holes?

Any help/advice is welcome here :D
Yes. The rear wheel on a non ABS has the bosses, but they are not drilled/tapped. The front wheel does not have any boss. The wheels for the ABS have a differant P/N than the non ABS. I have not seen an ABS to get a good look, but it appears in the manual and parts listings that the non ABS could be drilled and tapped to accept the pulser rings.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Clueless thanks for the explanation!

Sometimes it looks like every existing mod doesn't work on the abs model..Sigh :(

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts

Sometimes it looks like every existing mod doesn't work on the abs model..Sigh :(
There may be other machining differances in them, the ABS wheels are about $200 more (each, MSRP) than the non ABS.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
It's all the little differences that make the difference between things working right on an ABS bike or not as I have said before. I am planning to get my wheels chromed late Jan early Feb next year while I am on vacation.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

I've had the same thought. Many mods are more involved and more expensive. Sometimes I wish I had saved the money and bought the model with the regular brakes. That is, until I see a post like imwright1985's this morninng Locking the wheels. I've tried hard to lock up my ABS brakes and I can't do it. The braking power on my bike is awesome and I take comfort in that. At least, that's what i keep telling myself while I shell out more cash for mods that cost the non-ABS folks alot less.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Glad clueess got this one right because I was just gonna guess and say NO lol since I thought the difference was those cog looking things and sensors on the rotor. I didn't think the rim itself had any difference on it. Thanks clueless for the info.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
wow, yeah, Clue, thanks. Never thought there was a difference. makes sense, now that you explained it.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
I was thinking about this last night, as I said I don't have an ABS to look at, but I think the inner centers of the wheels need to be machined to 1. provide a flat surface to mount the ring and 2. provide the proper gap to the pick up

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well perhaps there is still some light at the end of the abs tunnel ;)

Had an e-mail conversation with Adam from Custom Motorcycle Wheels, Exhaust, Frames and Accessories - RC Components
With his approval:

Thank you for your interest in our products. Our wheels will work with the ABS model, it will require stock rotors though. The wheels run $1195.00 in the front, any design. The rear is $1325.00, in the rear any design.
Hello Adam,

If I understand correctly, I will only need to unscrew the original rotors
with the sensor ring from my stock wheels and then mount them onto the new
wheel. I don't need to drill or modify anything on the new wheel?
And his reply:

Yes, the stock equipment (abs and rotors/) will bolt directly up to our
wheel and hub. You may post this information.

Adam Trent
Sales Representative
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
888-721-6495 ext 131
Hmm so for +- 2500,- you've got some insane looking rims.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was thinking about this last night, as I said I don't have an ABS to look at, but I think the inner centers of the wheels need to be machined to 1. provide a flat surface to mount the ring and 2. provide the proper gap to the pick up
This is true, we just finished up the abs hub prototype for our weel designs,
front hubs are done and right rear will in production done next week. the only downside is it will only be for stock rotors, no custom rotors for this app.
our front wheel is the same price and if the rear is more it isn't going to be by much, maybe $50, maybe nothing.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So that would make in total $3416.90 for the rear + 900,- for the front wheel?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Somehow I get the feeling there are some additional costs? :)

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
One other thing to check if you're looking after market wheels and that is the size of the rear wheel. With the exception of the Sumo kits, all the other "Fury rear wheels" were adapted from HD designs which meant that the rear was either to skinny or to fat. From memory our rear is 6.25 inches wide and the standard HD style rims are 5.5 and 8.5 inches or thereabouts. Chroming the stock rims looks better every day! LOL:D

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info, didn't know that. But must indeed say that chroming the stock wheel does have its advantages.

But somehow I would rather go all the way then just half way. Only the steep cost is holding me back.

Considering the fact that I will have to pay import taxes and mounting the stuff by a dealership, the price will most likely be euro=dollars. So that would mean 2500euro for 2 chrome rims...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts