Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding street bikes for 25 years, and dirt bikes for 10 years more. I have been hit by 2 cars, and hit 1 car myself which we won't discuss. But what I am about to tell you has never happened to me, nor have I ever expected it.

I woke up at 430 am and just out of complete bordom, took the Fury to the beach to watch the sunrise. Pretty cool and relaxing. On the way home, I decided to take some alternate routes as I am trying to accumalate milage to get my first service job done. I ended up on a road heavy with tractor trailers. I was behind a bobtail tractor, a tractor with no trailer hooked to it, and since the road had two good groves from the trucks, I chose to ride the middle ridge. We were sitting at a stop light, in the left turn lane, and some guy pulls up beside me and starts yelling at me to fill him in on what type of bike I had and the normal wow, I did not thank that was a Honda. I saw his eys get big as silver dollars and he started honking his horn. I looked ahead and that bobtail had decided not to turn left at the light, but go straight, and was backing up to get behind the guy I was talking to. Problem is, he did not see me back there. I started back pedeling as fast as I could move that thing, but that truck was gaining on me. I am zig zaggingn in and out of the low spots of the lane trying to get myself in his mirrors but the gullies kept me off balance enough that I had no real control of where the bike was going.

I am a professional pilot, been part of a formation flying team, and have been to test pilot school. You have to know when to pull the ejection handle. I was thinking that as I was back pedeling, "How close am I going to let that truck get before I bail off this thing?" As that truck entered my 10 foot zone, I said F'it, I'm out of here. Just as I was getting ready to bail, I heard the air brakes set on the truck and it jerked to a stop. I stopped myself and barley kept the bike from hitting the ground.

The guy I was talking to got out of his car and jumped up on the passenger running board of the truck and told him what was going on. The driver got out and was visably shaken by the ordeal as was the guy I was talking to. I explained to the driver that I did not have any hard feelings and that we should both be thanking the other guy who voluntarily stepped in and saved us both from having a bad day.

After all the commotion, the truck stopped 4'7" from its rear crossmember to my front tire. Total distance of back pedeling, 75' +/-.

I took the guy that saved my ass and bike to the waffle house for breakfast. As we were leaving, he said, "That is a cool looking bike, and that means a lot coming from me.", as he whipped out his HOG life membership card. I told him, "This might just be the best bike dollar for dollar I have ever owned, and that shoud mean a lot coming from me.", as I whipped out my HOG life membership card. As I shaked his hand good bye, he said he was going to have to go home and talk to the wife about buying himself one of those Honda motorcycles.

It has taken me longer to type this than the whole deal itself, including the waffle house.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really just got chills down my body.

Can you tell me anything you think you could have done different? Not saying you did anything wrong, just so I could stay alert (stay alive) next time I ride.

BTW, are you a commericial Pilot, private Pilot, Military Pilot?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow, what a great post. I agree with an above poster. Can you give us any tips that may keep us out of this situation in the future? I am a new rider and enjoy soaking up as much information from experienced riders that I can.

I'm glad it ended well for you.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Wow, what a great post. I agree with an above poster. Can you give us any tips that may keep us out of this situation in the future? I am a new rider and enjoy soaking up as much information from experienced riders that I can.

I'm glad it ended well for you.
Well, one thing I do is stay in the view of the drivers mirror when I'm stopped, that way he knows someone is back there. This is part of a BRC cirriculum.

I can understand Stan's situation though, as he didn't want to ride in the ruts of the road that the trucks caused.

I'm glad you had a fast acting commuter with you that morning or else this would have been a much worse situation! Also glad you didn't have to ditch the bike!!! :eek:

·
Registered
125 Posts
MAN, just goes to show we have to stay alart even when we are stopped!! Thanks for the story. Glad you and your fury are ok!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Wow!

Yeah, we need to remember the take-away lesson: try to stay in within view of the big rigs' mirrors.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wow, same thing happend to my pop 20 something years ago. His bike was destroyed as he bailed off of it!! You just brought me back!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
As one post implied, gives me chills as well. I havent rode since High School and have had my Fury a month or so now. Approaching 1000 miles. I am amazed at what I see everyday. I am much more alert even while riding in a 3/4 ton dodge 4x4 Power Wagon Quad Cab truck. I pay attention to the road condition, other dirvers, etc...alot more now.
Ive had two close calls so far with people pulling out in front of me. Locked it up a few days ago to avoid some kid on a cell phone crossing 4 lanes of traffic. Not trying to hijack the thread.

Im glad it worked out for you. How terrible would it have been to stand there and watch that truck roll over the bike...wow.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow. Glad you made it out of that one OK.

The mutual Lifetime HOG membership card ownership is a nice twist too.
Last year, after more than 20 years of thinking about it, I finally bought my dream Harley Softail. I thought it was the last new bike I was ever going to buy. Then I saw the picture of the Fury... So I can relate.

Glad you kept your head on straight during that incident and didn't have to 'pull the eject lever', but were ready to if you had to to save yourself !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great lesson there, thanks for sharing, glad everything ended okay.

I've not had a bike in ten years and am working towards getting a Fury in a few weeks. I am going to need to make sure I am cautious even stopped and stay within sight of the mirrors of those in front.

Thanks for the heads up/reminder.

Dave

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lesson Learned

I really just got chills down my body.

Can you tell me anything you think you could have done different? Not saying you did anything wrong, just so I could stay alert (stay alive) next time I ride.

BTW, are you a commericial Pilot, private Pilot, Military Pilot?
Stay in the mirrors of big rigs no matter the condition of th pavement you are on.

I am ATP rated, and the Director of Training for the Gulfstream Large Cabin corporate jets / Type Rating Examiner both FAA and JAA. I fly for a US company and an overseas individual on the side.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
75 FEET!!!!!!Can I assume you weren't going up hill?
Had there been any incline at all, it would have ended totally different. If any incline, maybe a slight downhill but not enough to help really. I feel it in my legs today, and I work out on a very regular basis. Used muscles I did not know I had or know how to exercise except by pushing the bike backwards around the block every week.

I am on my first day of vaction today in Myrtle Beach and me and my girlfriend went to get a message. I told the sexiest message woman I have ever seen what happend and that my upper inner thighs really needed attention. She looked at my girlfriend, smiled, and said sure she could take care of them but would have to go in through my ass to do it. Second thought, they did not really heart that bad.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts