Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2020 Fury with 300 miles, bought new. At about mile 295, I started hearing a very loud clunking sound on acceleration. Only when I accelerate quickly. At slower acceleration, you don't really hear it. Doesn't seem to affect ride performance. I did take to the dealer, who's informed me they can't fix it, as it's normal. I find that hard to believe being that it just started. I've checked the torque arm bar, and bushings, and all is as it should be. I'm wondering if it could be faulty u-joints or pinion gear? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
That's definitely not normal. However, it's hard to make a guess without hearing it. Clunking is hard to diagnose. Does it lurch when it happens? What other things happen when it clunks?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's definitely not normal. However, it's hard to make a guess without hearing it. Clunking is hard to diagnose. Does it lurch when it happens? What other things happen when it clunks?
No lurching just VERY a very loud clunk. It doesn't appear to effect performance but doesn't seem to be normal to me

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Check the gear oil level. Does the clunking sound like aluminum or steel. That could help narrow it down. Check the clevis bolts at the top of the shock and the mounting point at the swingarm. If they are loose, the clunking could be originating up there but travel through the frame. If those are tight, check the pinch bolt on the swingarm at the axle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check the gear oil level. Does the clunking sound like aluminum or steel. That could help narrow it down. Check the clevis bolts at the top of the shock and the mounting point at the swingarm. If they are loose, the clunking could be originating up there but travel through the frame. If those are tight, check the pinch bolt on the swingarm at the axle.
Thanks, will do. I just picked it up from the dealer today so I plan on going through it during the holidays so I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for the help!!

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Thanks, will do. I just picked it up from the dealer today so I plan on going through it during the holidays so I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for the help!!
Did you find the source of the noise?

Agree with you and others that this is NOT normal. The dealership should be able to tell you what is causing that sound if it truly WAS normal. My gut says that they simply don't want to do the work to either locate/identify what the noise is, or they KNOW and they don't want to have to be the ones to fix it (i.e., they assembled the bike incorrectly and know that Honda won't cover this as warranty)...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you find the source of the noise?

Agree with you and others that this is NOT normal. The dealership should be able to tell you what is causing that sound if it truly WAS normal. My gut says that they simply don't want to do the work to either locate/identify what the noise is, or they KNOW and they don't want to have to be the ones to fix it (i.e., they assembled the bike incorrectly and know that Honda won't cover this as warranty)...
Believe it or not, the torsion axle nut was loose was all. I tightened it when I got it home and zero noise since.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Believe it or not, the torsion axle nut was loose was all. I tightened it when I got it home and zero noise since.
Good to hear that you found and fixed it!!!

You should be sure to remind your dealership about this and ask if it's 'normal' for nuts and bolts to be loose. The fact that they brushed you off on this as "it's normal" and was unwilling to do anything means they don't give a rat's ass about actually helping you as a customer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to hear that you found and fixed it!!!

You should be sure to remind your dealership about this and ask if it's 'normal' for nuts and bolts to be loose. The fact that they brushed you off on this as "it's normal" and was unwilling to do anything means they don't give a rat's ass about actually helping you as a customer.
I put a call into Honda Corp and opened a case with them. That bolt should have been torqued to 70 ft lbs and it was less than 40. I def let them all know my disappointment in their service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts