Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw this question on another post so I thought I would do a write up

Disconnect the top and bottom of the clutch cable, clean both ends

Cut a hole in the corner of a sandwich baggy roughly the size of the clutch cable sheathing, run the top part of the clutch cable through the hole in the baggy and wrap a rubber band around the baggy and the sheathing to keep any oil from draining out from the sides of the baggy/sheathing

Place a rag/cup etc at the bottom of the cable to catch the oil, add a small amount of motor oil to the baggy (30W oil is what I use), sit back and let gravity do it's work (this may take overnight, varies from cable to cable)

Once the oil starts coming out of the bottom, remove the baggy, wait for rest of the oil to come out, clean up the ends again and add Lubriplate grease to the ends (other brands of grease/powder can be used, your results may vary)

The cable ends need new grease much more often than the cable needs oil

Same procedure for throttle cables

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks! I've been tempting fate by not doing this, and it'll make for a good weekend project. I watched a couple Youtube videos on how to lube the cables, but I trust y'all more than the random internet folks over there.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I've been tempting fate by not doing this, and it'll make for a good weekend project. I watched a couple Youtube videos on how to lube the cables, but I trust y'all more than the random internet folks over there.
Running oil down your cables is not something that has to been done every year, some bikes will never need it but if your cable lives near the ocean, sees a lot of water, is getting hard to pull some 30W oil will help
Replacing your cable is sometimes the best option

Now cleaning/greasing your cable ends on a regular schedule is a good idea

1 - 5 of 5 Posts