Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch is not fully disengaging, so when you have just shifted or when you hammer it down you can feel the clutch is still holding a little. I have adjusted it to the max and it got better but still not releasing all the way
Any ideas

·
Registered
979 Posts
Did you make adjustments at the hand lever only, or did you adjust it a the transmission mount also?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Maybe this is your issue:

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Maybe this is your issue:

That is kind of what I was wondering...

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you have 20k miles or more or if you have driven in lots of stop and go traffic...your cable may be fatigued or strands may be fraying. Try replacing the cable.

Product Rectangle Human body Font Magenta

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
If you have 20k miles or more or if you have driven in lots of stop and go traffic...your cable may be fatigued or strands may be fraying. Try replacing the cable.

View attachment 241144
One of those things that is better replaced BEFORE it fails!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

View attachment 241144

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did replace the cable and it’s at the Max on both adjustments still feels like it needs more

·
Registered
979 Posts
I did replace the cable and it’s at the Max on both adjustments still feels like it needs more
By maxed out, do you mean the nuts are at the end of the thread? If this is the case, you have the wrong cable. A new clutch cable for our bikes should have about 3 or 4 threads out of the hand lever thumb nut and at the trans mount, it should hit about center of the retainer hoop. If you pull the cable to one end, there should be only about 3.5 in. of bare cable. You described the clutch still grips when you do a hard acceleration, that means the cable is adjusted out so far that the clutch always has tension on it simulating a slip. Do this, squeeze the lever and place a dime in the opening, let the handle out to hold the dime. Back your adjustment nuts back until the dime slides out easy, then test ride it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
By maxed out, do you mean the nuts are at the end of the thread? If this is the case, you have the wrong cable. A new clutch cable for our bikes should have about 3 or 4 threads out of the hand lever thumb nut and at the trans mount, it should hit about center of the retainer hoop. If you pull the cable to one end, there should be only about 3.5 in. of bare cable. You described the clutch still grips when you do a hard acceleration, that means the cable is adjusted out so far that the clutch always has tension on it simulating a slip. Do this, squeeze the lever and place a dime in the opening, let the handle out to hold the dime. Back your adjustment nuts back until the dime slides out easy, then test ride it.
Good and easy adjustment procedure. Thanks

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
That is kind of what I was wondering...
Without much detail is a shot in the dark, but whenever I hear a clutch is sticking... Kind of makes sense.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i purchased new cable that is 22870 MFR 670 it was the exact same length as the one i pulled off. plus it was working just find for 30,000 miles it just started doing this about a week ago. it ran great before never had an issue. I starts and stops just fine and I have no issue shifting through any of the gears it just doesn't release 100 %

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i purchased new cable that is 22870 MFR 670 it was the exact same length as the one i pulled off. plus it was working just find for 30,000 miles it just started doing this about a week ago. it ran great before never had an issue. I starts and stops just fine and I have no issue shifting through any of the gears it just doesn't release 100 %
I will ty the Dime trick here today though thanks

·
Registered
416 Posts
Possible installation error??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pull the shaft out that goes through from the clutch cable to the clutch and clean and adjust it again. The shaft may be sticking.
I’m pretty sure that is the issues I’ve been spraying that down at it will work briefly
Am I just pulling those 3 bolts to remove that shaft ???

·
Registered
2011 Honda Fury
9 Posts
30k miles is more than likely MORE than the life of your clutch cable. They don’t last forever. Replace it.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Might be time to drain the oil and get in there and look at your clutch. I posted my tech write-up on this, above. My guess is your friction plates/steels are toast. Mine as well do the hub drill mod while you're in there...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts