Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has sat during winter now my clutch won't engage. When I shifted into gear, like you normally would, it died. So tried starting it in gear with the clutch, but it's acting like it's not engaging. Is it just froze up and what's the best way to get it working?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My bike has sat during winter now my clutch won't engage. When I shifted into gear, like you normally would, it died. So tried starting it in gear with the clutch, but it's acting like it's not engaging. Is it just froze up and what's the best way to get it working?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My sled did that once. My mechanic Mid cities Honda said start her up, crank on the throttle for a minute or two. you may have been starting your bike and keep her on a trickle charger but unless you get out with her idle wont circulate the fluids as well. After I did this she ran fine (2010 Fury).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don’t own a fury. Worked on many honda’s. If fury has a hydraulic operated clutch this may apply. If it is a cable just bypass this post.
This sounds like the clutch slave cylinder has leaked down. Was there an in explained drip under the bike? If this is the case you can the reservoir on left handlebar is probably low as well. This fluid (dot4) should be replaced periodically. I do mine every year. You should be able to bleed the system and temporarily restore good function to the clutch. Depending on the condition of the slave cylinder it may be good for a month or a couple of years.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is a symptom of clutch plates that have stuck together from sitting too long . . . google it for the solution, which is basically to put the bike in 2nd or 3rd gear with the engine off, and rock it back and forth several times to free up the plates. You might still find that you have to jam it in gear, but it should free up pretty quickly after this. Mine did, after having sat in the previous owner's garage for 2-1/2 years before I bought it.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
This is a symptom of clutch plates that have stuck together from sitting too long . . . google it for the solution, which is basically to put the bike in 2nd or 3rd gear with the engine off, and rock it back and forth several times to free up the plates. You might still find that you have to jam it in gear, but it should free up pretty quickly after this. Mine did, after having sat in the previous owner's garage for 2-1/2 years before I bought it.
In addition to this, if the clutch pack is stuck together and continues to stick together, the problem will never be solved unless you replace the clutch and modify the clutch basket. Symptoms will be the bike will not take off smoothly...it will "lurch" hard when it grabs when in first. Some have had luck with the above procedure (and some other black magic) but it has to be done repeatedly before every ride.

I did a big writeup on the solution on here if you go that route.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts