Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Washed my bike today and went for a ride, after I got a couple miles from home I started having issues with loss of power while on the throttle. It felt like it was running out of gas. Headed home and at a stop light it went dead. Had trouble getting it to restart. Finally restarted, got home and in trying to figure out what's wring I opened the fuel module. My question is this: is it possible that moisture in the module was shorting the module out and causing it to kill the fuel supply? After waiting a while and ensuring the module was dry I took it out for a spin and had no issues.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
there has been some reporting of this before from people that have gotten the unit wet, if it continues to run right and doesn't need exchanged <they have 2 year warranties> I would suggest wrapping it in a bag and taping that bag up or somehow enclosing it so that it doesn't get soak and wet again.

I haven't had any issues, but

1. I don't wash my bike I just polish it all the time
2. the only time the FC has had a chance to get wet is if I get caught in the rain and that's happened a couple of times but I never had issues.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll prolly just put the controller in the owners manual bag that's mounted to the side cover.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Thanks, I'll prolly just put the controller in the owners manual bag that's mounted to the side cover.
That would work, BUT, don't seal it up in a bag until your certain that the innards are completely dry; blowing it out with compressed air would probably help. If you don't get it completely dry, ongoing corrosion of internal electrical components and contacts/connections could lead to ultimate and unrecoverable failure. My two-bits................

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
That would work, BUT, don't seal it up in a bag until your certain that the innards are completely dry; blowing it out with compressed air would probably help. If you don't get it completely dry, ongoing corrosion of internal electrical components and contacts/connections could lead to ultimate and unrecoverable failure. My two-bits................

Cheers
Good point, guess I assumed that he would have known that, just take a blow dryer and dry it out for a few minutes before sealing it up.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Good point, guess I assumed that he would have known that, just take a blow dryer and dry it out for a few minutes before sealing it up.
Ya, a controlled blow with a hair-dryer would do it. The ultimate, though not generally-available or easily-applied method would be a vacuum chamber; impractical in this instance, I'm afraid.

Cheers

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice, and thanks for making it ID-10-T proof :) . I am/was a jarhead after all. Got it all dryed out and ziplocked up so hopefully it won't be giving me anymore issues... I'm debating on swabbing the innards with some Lectra-Clean just to be sure. At any rate I don't think I'll be washing it again... will probably just wipe it down before/after each ride.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks for all the advice, and thanks for making it ID-10-T proof :) . I am/was a jarhead after all. Got it all dryed out and ziplocked up so hopefully it won't be giving me anymore issues... I'm debating on swabbing the innards with some Lectra-Clean just to be sure. At any rate I don't think I'll be washing it again... will probably just wipe it down before/after each ride.
Holy CRAP, why didn't I see that before? You are running the Swepts & the Big City baffles. DO TELL! How do you like it that setup? Would you get the baffles again? Any chance of putting up some crappy videos (you know...just some shaky video from a phone or whatever) for me to peruse? :D Pretty please? I won't call you a jarhead again. Well, I can't promise that...because really, we were both in the Navy. Ha!

Cheers Brother :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holy CRAP, why didn't I see that before? You are running the Swepts & the Big City baffles. DO TELL! How do you like it that setup? Would you get the baffles again? Any chance of putting up some crappy videos (you know...just some shaky video from a phone or whatever) for me to peruse? Pretty please? I won't call you a jarhead again. Well, I can't promise that...because really, we were both in the Navy. Ha!

Cheers Brother
Hehe, well if you don't call me a jarhead, then I won't call you a semen. I like the cobras with the Big City baffles, almost as much improvement in sound over the cobra baffles as going from stock exhaust to the cobras. I will try to get a video up in the next day or 2, and it will deffinately be crappy as my video camera a la iphone is not the best in the world.

FYI:
MARINE - My A$$ Rides In Navy Equipment
NAVY - Never Again Volunteer Yourself
ARMY - Ain't Ready for the Marines Yet

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hehe, well if you don't call me a jarhead, then I won't call you a semen. I like the cobras with the Big City baffles, almost as much improvement in sound over the cobra baffles as going from stock exhaust to the cobras. I will try to get a video up in the next day or 2, and it will deffinately be crappy as my video camera a la iphone is not the best in the world.

FYI:
Much appreciated.

I spent 3.5 onboard USS Wasp cuttin' gator squares in the Med and Atlantic. I worked with the deployed Radio Battalion...what a great bunch of guys. Well, there was Gunny Bellis. She was very troll-like but we loved her anyway. Tough as nails. (Gunny...tough...redundant?)

-Nate

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spent 3.5 onboard USS Wasp cuttin' gator squares in the Med and Atlantic. I worked with the deployed Radio Battalion...what a great bunch of guys.
I did 5 years based out of Beaufort, SC with VMFA(AW)-332, land based F/A-18 squadron... after school it was rare for me to even see my Navy counterparts. I got flown around quite a bit by the Air Force though (airline service or military branch... you decide).

Well, there was Gunny Bellis. She was very troll-like but we loved her anyway. Tough as nails. (Gunny...tough...redundant?)
For a WM (woman marine) to make it to Gunny "tough as nails" would be understating it... I imagine the nails now refer to it as "tough as Gunny Bellis".

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts

FYI:
I liked you until you made the Army comment lol, j/k it's all good.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I liked you until you made the Army comment lol, j/k it's all good.
I gotta give the guys from the other 2 military services (Army & Navy) a hard time. Hehe, I keep making comments like that and I'm sure I'll smoke out the Air Force & Coast Guard guys lurking around. :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm sure I'll smoke out the Air Force & Coast Guard guys lurking around. :)
I thought you said you were looking for the military guys. I think you had that covered.

Actually, the friggin coasties were out to sea a hell of a lot more than I was, and I LIVED on the damn ship.

I respect anyone that served and deployed. That counts for those crazies that wear body armor and patrol the streets of DC for minimum wage too. My heart really goes out for those guys & girls.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I respect anyone that served and deployed. That counts for those crazies that wear body armor and patrol the streets of DC for minimum wage too. My heart really goes out for those guys & girls.
Same here.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is the requested video, not sure it does it justice though.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Back on topic, it also occurred to me, belatedely, that one could rinse the F/C module out with alchohol. Alchohol readily absorbs water, and the combination will evaporate rapidly, leaving everything nice and dry. Just FWIW...............

Cheers

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good enough. I'm in. Bad ASS! Thank you sir!
It's a big improvement for sure, and at only $80 for the mod... you can't go wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
FWIW, I just rode home from Americade this weekend, 200 miles in a steady rain at 70mph... no problems from the Cobra FI unit inside the side cover.

Soaked leather through to the bone, had to stop at the Lee, MA rest area to get some NE Clam Chowder and stop shivering. Did manage a dry spell for about an hour through Lee, onto MA-20 and MA-8 to CT-8, started raining again about 30 mnutes from home.

Totally worth it, though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts