Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Nothing. Internally the intake redirects the flow of air, and as such rain, away from directly hitting the filter. The filter is water resistant as long as it's kept oiled. If any moisture did manage to enter the engine it would evaporate before anything happened. People ride with these in the rain all the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing. Internally the intake redirects the flow of air, and as such rain, away from directly hitting the filter. The filter is water resistant as long as it's kept oiled. If any moisture did manage to enter the engine it would evaporate before anything happened. People ride with these in the rain all the time.
Thanks for the answer. Is oiling something I have to do or does the filter come oiled?

·
Registered
2010 Fury
846 Posts
Don't get too carried away applying oil to the filter...I did and it was showing up on the other side of the bike in the area where the dipstick is. Lasted for about 500 miles till it finally quit. :oops:
this.
a fine mist is enough. That's why the oil is red. the slightest color change and you are there. I heard that there were also non-oil washable filters from K&N. True?

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
this.
a fine mist is enough. That's why the oil is red. the slightest color change and you are there. I heard that there were also non-oil washable filters from K&N. True?
Yep, you want the filter to be pinkish color. I have learned over the years to shy away from the K&N spray oil, and instead use the non-spray oil bottle... just drag the nozzle along the ridge of the filter pleat while barely squeezing the oil out of the bottle, and let it soak down into the fold. Do this slowly along all the pleats, then let the filter sit for an hour. Visually inspect it for any areas that are still white, and apply only as needed. Wait another hour if you had to reapply...

Probably not as big of a deal on the Fury as it is on vehicles with a MAF. Filter oil on a MAF sensor makes for very bad air volume readings and will ultimately wreak havoc on the engine because the ECU cannot correctly calulate incoming airmass.

Yes, K&N does have a non-oil filter. It's their "blackhawk" series. I ran one on my truck for a while and really liked the filter, but the overall intake design still drew hot engine bay air in, so I went with a S&B instead. The Blackhawk filiter does require the use of a different cleaner when you need to clean it, as it's a special synthetic material.
I have it up for sale in the part section here if anyone is looking for a GM truck intake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts