Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my question is...
Before I installed my new black cobra swept pipes on I wanted to remove and cut the baffles. I removed the lower one with little problems and cut it. No problems lining it up when I was re-installing it. How the hell did you guys get the upper baffle out? I sprayed WD-40 and I am using a steel hook with a handle. Its a strong hook and I think its used for removing clips on a car. I CAN NOT remove that top baffle. How do I get this out? Please help I am starting to lose patience after over a hour.
Thanks gang

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you just trying to pull it out? Try using some vise grips and a BFH.

I'd also recommend the vtx block off plates.
No I am going to cut them and leave 4" of baffle. There is no way to get vise grips in there and WTH is "BFH"? lol
After installing the pipes, pwerflo and Fi2000r I will see if I need to remove the pair valve for the popping. From what I read my set up is good to go.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I would answer this question if I could but I don't know the answer.
Try the awesome search tab (yea, right) or look for posts by Dave Maher. I do believe he posted how to do this with pics. He shows how to do it with ease.
When your done can you give an honest opinion of the sound and how much louder it is?
You could also PM him.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used a brake spring plier 90 degree hook, Vice grips (clamp to the plier and a hammer worked awsome....:)
Thats the hook I am using. I couldnt think of what it was used for lol. I am whacking it as we speak but its kind of hard with only two hands. I am sure I will get lucky on one of the swings I give it. I have like a can of wd40 sprayed into it. I am hoping it doesnt smell too bad when I install it and it burns off. the baffle is out of round and is tight on one side of the pipe and I think thats making it harder. I cant give up since I already cut and re-installed one of them already. I cant leave one long and one short can I? LOL

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I untied a wire coat hanger, looped it through the baffle and a 4x4 fencepost and yanked on the muffler section. Came out like a loose tooth. I think im the only one on here that used that method, but got it done in about two minutes flat.:D

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting thought Lester but I did get it out. Thanks for all the suggestions. What a pain in the ass that was taking it out. I wouldnt imagine what it would of been like if it was built up with carbon. The rest is easy thanks again gang!

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Interesting thought Lester but I did get it out. Thanks for all the suggestions. What a pain in the ass that was taking it out. I wouldnt imagine what it would of been like if it was built up with carbon. The rest is easy thanks again gang!
please put it back in--i have a better solution. tie a string to it and then tie the other end of the string to a door knob. Then...<forget it, you kids don't want to learn new techniques>:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When your done can you give an honest opinion of the sound and how much louder it is?
From what I understand is it would be a happy medium from with them in and with them out. I am taking the opinions of others on this call. I just hope it doesnt create problems. If it does I will have to see if I could get new baffles and leave it at that. I never even heard what they would sound like but all my bike were always loud. I went with vance heines big shots on my Harleys and that was obnoxiously loud. I will soon find out though. I hope its not a japish sound like I hear from the Yamaha riders.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Thats the hook I am using. I couldnt think of what it was used for lol. I am whacking it as we speak but its kind of hard with only two hands. I am sure I will get lucky on one of the swings I give it. I have like a can of wd40 sprayed into it. I am hoping it doesnt smell too bad when I install it and it burns off. the baffle is out of round and is tight on one side of the pipe and I think thats making it harder. I cant give up since I already cut and re-installed one of them already. I cant leave one long and one short can I? LOL
OK you are wacking as we speak can you go back to the baffles.....lol.:eek:

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
I had exactly the same experience getting my baffles out. The bottom one was a piece of cake but the upper one was a pain in the ass. I was using the special tool J.A.T.O. made and was loaning to folks to get the bottom one out, but NOTHING would work to get the top one out, until I used a slide hammer. I bought my slide hammer, but it is possible to rent them. I used it with a hook and had the top baffle out in less than 3 minutes!

Get a slide hammer...your hands will thank you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.