Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new 2010 (leftover I guess you would call it since the 2011's are available) and installed the Cobra Swept Exhaust. Aside from the hose clamps being a slight pain, it was a very easy install. I LOVE the change in sound of the exhaust both at idle and while cruising AND also LOVE what it has done to the appearance of the bike. My only concern is the slight "popping" upon deceleration. I am not sure I would even call it a "backfire". Is there a solution to this? Maybe I haven't given it enough time for me to adjust to the "popping", and in fact, I am not sure if I like it or don't like it. It's just different than I am used to. With that said, I am new to the forum, so if this has been posted before, I apologize in advance.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Some times the popping is from the emissions crap. Most remove the pipeing and put on Blockoff Plates to cover the reed valves.-ones with the dimple. Simple cheap fix. Search Blockoff Plates. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some times the popping is from the emissions crap. Most remove the pipeing and put on Blockoff Plates to cover the reed valves.-ones with the dimple. Simple cheap fix. Search Blockoff Plates. :)
Thanks....I'll show this to my technician and search for the blockoff plates.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
welcome to the forum and congrats on the bike!

be aware that by removing the pair valve and putting on the block off plates doesn't always work for everyone, like Mental said it's not an expensive mod but i just wanted to throw it out there that it doesn't always stop the popping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like I said in the original post, I can't decide if I like it or if it will annoy me. Started raining here and looks like rain for the next week, so no testing for a few days. As long as the "popping" isn't hurting the bike though, I may not do anything about it. Thanks again for all of your input.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The block off plates didn't stop my popping on decel. Its not a backfire just a mild rumble of pops. I'm getting used to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The block off plates didn't stop my popping on decel. Its not a backfire just a mild rumble of pops. I'm getting used to it.
I have read so many things on "popping" in the forums that I don't know really what exactly is causing it and/or what solution will or won't work. Again, if it's not ruining the bike and I get used to it...I'll let it go.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So.. Does it hurt anything when it is popping/backfiring during deceleration? I've experienced 2 definite backfires in the last week when I'm at hwy speeds then slowing down.. Have Cobra pipes as well.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Not really, its more annoying than anything. Youre flowing more air, so your air/fuel ratio is leaner and it shows up under decel more than accel. Since Fury's are FI, you cant adjust the idle screws to compensate, so either deal with it or get a fuel computer.

·
Premium Member
6,184 Posts
There is the problem with carbon build up on the IAC valve but 460 uses seafoam to control that ;)

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
So.. Does it hurt anything when it is popping/backfiring during deceleration? I've experienced 2 definite backfires in the last week when I'm at hwy speeds then slowing down.. Have Cobra pipes as well.
Had the same thing for the longest time with my Morton Inferno's, no it's not hurting anything, reminded me of dual exhaust with glasspack mufflers and to tell the truth I liked it also, a little while back I changed exhaust to some STG pipes and when I went to switch back to my Morton's I blocked the pair valve and haven't had popping since.

You can block the hose up with a bolt or whatever else you can slide into it but just make sure that it's not something that can get sucked in.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Its all part of having aftermarket pipes
My cobra's popped but once I yanked the pair valves it stopped. I did remove the cobra baffles and replace with big city thunder cause I like to be heard before seen but the pair valve removal worked great for me. Don't quite understand why that wouldn't fix all popping on all cobras.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Mostly just annoying (not to me...) I solved mine with a cobra fuel processor... just the tri-pot one. My pipes aren't cobra, but the freedom performance sharp curve radius.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts