Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Only with a passenger

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Riding solo

Votes: 5 35.7%

Cobra swepts dragging in right hand corners

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  cypress 
#1 ·
I realize that the bike is a "chopper" but it doesn't preclude me riding hard. The Fury handles better than my '01 Shadow Sabre IMO overall. The first thing I noticed was the dragging of the pipes in hard right hand turns. Part of the issue is off-camber road surfaces but the other is the lower pipes most of the time. Has anyone else really dragged the pipes? I would expect it to happen if the springs have been lowered or otherwise dropping the rear. I've bumped the pre-load on the spring up quite a bit but still manage to drag. Anyone else?

#3 ·
I actually wrote them asking what paint to use to cover the bare metal from the scratches and they suggested the black header paint (ceramic). I also suggested they start shipping an extended peg post for the right-hand side that is long enough to indicate max cornering angle. I'm starting to wonder about fabbing a new mount extension to raise the rear of the pipes a bit but it's going to change the lines which I don't want to really do. It's not just the tips that drag either.

#5 ·
agree with all posts above. they do drag. esp if going into a turn that is uphill. like a driveway.

also have heard that extenders do the job as far as stopping the scrapping. i have the cobra slashdowns + extenders. when i ride two up and the preload is all the way out (soft) i scrape the back end near the tips.

#7 ·
The dealer scraped them the day they installed them on the test ride!
They didn't bother to tell me of course! But because someone else motioned it a long time ago I actually looked under the pipes to see and sure as shit he rubbed them.
I have also done it on a single occasion. But with the 3"extenders that come with the 8 degree trees it raises the front of the bike enough to where I don't think it will happen again.

#9 ·
Well, I guess I'm going to have to try out the 8* rake and 3 inch extender kit. I'll upgrade and stretch my brake and control lines then at the same time. You guys should get commissions each time a product helps someone out. ;)

I really don't enjoy dragging metal, especially if one day it causes me to post up on something.

#11 ·
I'd not really mind doing the 8's but I guess I could ease my wallet and myself in with the extenders and cables first... but I think my thought was, while I have it all apart might as well. ;)

#12 ·
I scrape my right foot peg first which always straightens me up so my swepts never touch the road. Seems like this would be the case for everyone unless maybe the swepts were bracketed closer to some bikes than others. Mine are so close to the rear axle bolt that they rub a little when the bike is cold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.