Honda Fury Forums: banner

Cobra swepts

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  skappiris 
#1 ·
To the lucky ones that have the Black swepts. I was extremely careful when I was installing my pipes the other day. The pipes were installed with ease then now the heat shields. I put gloves on and brought them outside with me. I barely touched them together and they scratched. I have 2 spots that scratched and is really bothering me thinking what they would look like after a season of riding. My friend who is in the architectural metal and glass business told me they are cheap ceramic coating. Does anyone else have an issue with this? If this is going to be a problem I will have them powder coated if I could do that.
Talk to me on this please. $600 buck and they are scratched by barely touching them together.

#2 ·
They all scratch very easily, even after heated up. Just be careful with them whenever removing them/anything around them. I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere on here that powder coating will not hold up to the heat. I'm probably wrong. They could have been referring to single walled pipes which will be tons hotter than the heat shields we have :confused:

#7 ·
I took of the little tiny screw on the end of the ISO grips to let the air out when I was sliding it on and droped it on the black pipe. Took that black coating right off! There was a little light colored spot so I put a black Sharpe on it and now I don't see it. Also the dealer scraped the bottom of the pipes when he rode it after install. He had to ride it because I got fowards, intake, Power commander, exhaust all at once.
Anyways, put a black Sharpe on that too and it is much better. Took 5 or 6 times of putting it on. You gotta put it on, let the marker dry, put it on again, ect.
Plus the marker has held up to the heat.
Why pay to get the little scratches fixed when your just going to scratch it again.
Use a Sharpe marker. Or something like it. JMO.

#10 ·
If it was me with a scratch on the fender, I would check with the dealer and see if he had a touch up paint marker or order one from colorite.com, I think they were like $15.

#13 · (Edited)
I'm not too sure about this guy's suggestion to lightly sand the pipes prior to the primer. a good heat resistant primer for metalic surfaces should be fine

The ceramic coating paint sounds awesome.
Get a good primer (heat resistant) and remove the pipes completely.
Amateurs should not even consider painting them any other way but off the bike.

Spray more light coats vs fewer heavy coats of primer and paint.
Lightly sanding with 600 grit between middle coats is a good idea. To get a smooth finish you have to lightly 'even out the texture' by sanding. Then clean off the grit you created with a damp cloth.let dry and add more light coats.

Not sure if a heat resistant top or clear coat is available--but, it will keep the chipping and scrapes from being too serious--

good idea re: cleaning the pipes and heat shields--remove the shields and paint separately--you'll def. need those shields if you're carrying black pipes. Those stop lights will be quite an adventure!

running the engine a few minutes (15 may be too much) and then cooling down--starting up again--good idea. but that implies you would have installed the pipes and you're done painting.

so, allow plenty of time for drying and curing. don't be in a hurry to run that bike down to your local bike night--most common issue when rushed is chipping due to road debris. be patient.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.