Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Cold Idle

Yeppers. Cold idle; easy to stall on takeoff if you don't keep the idle up. But warms up quick when you get going.
One thing I was happy about, after just a couple hundred miles that radical idle-speed change (s) on first start up seems to have smoothed out and virtually disappeared; now as stated she runs cold at idle but without much discernable change in idle speed.
Gonna sound gorgeous with the cobra swept's or slashdown speedsters when I finally get 'em :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Got 1400 miles on mine and it dies when you first start it and then the idle fluctuates high to low revs for about 1-2 minutes before gets better. If I leave before it's warmed up it'll back fire through the intake and stuter. Honda told me no fix for it yet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have not experienced that problem. The service tech who actually loaded my bike on the trailer, told me not to rev the bike at all when i started it. If for some reason I forgot and reved it, I would posibally see some start problems with rev issues. aif this happened, disconnect the battery for at least an hour to let the ecm loose it's memory, hook the battery back up, and go as directed, no reving on start up.

There is a good chance that the service techs at your dealership could have reved the bikes up and loaded in some bad memory into the ecm. I would try the battery disconnect deal.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
I have not experienced that problem. The service tech who actually loaded my bike on the trailer, told me not to rev the bike at all when i started it. If for some reason I forgot and reved it, I would posibally see some start problems with rev issues. aif this happened, disconnect the battery for at least an hour to let the ecm loose it's memory, hook the battery back up, and go as directed, no reving on start up.

There is a good chance that the service techs at your dealership could have reved the bikes up and loaded in some bad memory into the ecm. I would try the battery disconnect deal.
The EFI on the Fury does not work like that, nor do the VTX 1800, the Goldwings do. Also I am the service tech that set up my Fury (and the 2 others), and 2 of them did it, Also I tried to reset the ECM that way, rode to work, disconnected it till lunch, hooked it back up, let it idle till the fan cycled, didn't help, this week I am going to hook up the computer and try to see if I can recycle it that way.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Hooked up the Honda test set today it said everything was fine, bike idles at 925 rpm, no fault codes or problems. I reset the ECU with the test set, let it cool off and it did the same thing at startup. I may try new plugs, altho the ones in it look fine.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Mine does it to. Just let it warm up in the driveway for a few minutes before I hit the road.

·
Registered
32 Posts
same problems with mine as stated... head mechanic at our local shop here told me that the fuel injected 1300 is still a newish concept for honda.. and theres still some aspects of it that are unfamiliar to them.. so so far no explanation for the rough idle, other than it ain't normal for an efi to run like a carb..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Cold Idle

I'm sure this is not a real problem but a misunderstanding with the way Honda's computer is designed to run the idle.

I've had three Honda cars since about 1990. Two went over 200,000 miles and my present one only has 114,000 with original brakes so I'm guessing as with their cars, all the bikes are built for the long haul as well.

All the Honda cars idled in such a way. The computer senses a cold engine and sets the idle speed higher for a certain period of time. Its made to run well without manual intervention. As it warms up the idle drops to normal.
The cars idle can be interrupted if I don't let them sit for a minute or so to allow this idle process to work. If I touch the gas or slighly rev the engine, a similar thing happens to the cars. I guess the computer is trying to adjust to something it sees as abnormal.

If you listen to most all motorcycle riders, the first thing we all do is give the throttle a crank or two soon after starting up. Must be the exhaust noise thing we like!

Also if you use 93 octane gas which most bikes use, it takes more spark to get this stuff to burn on cold startup so there might be an issue with maintaining enough power through and into the spark plugs to maintain proper firing of the high octane gas.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm sure this is not a real problem but a misunderstanding with the way Honda's computer is designed to run the idle.

If you listen to most all motorcycle riders, the first thing we all do is give the throttle a crank or two soon after starting up. Must be the exhaust noise thing we like!
few comments:
the FI unit on my Honda Blackbird uses wax to control the startup idle. Yes,
strangely there is a unit that contains wax. When the coolant is cold the
wax is hard and makes the FI run rich. When the coolant warms up the
wax melts and frees up a mechanical device which allows the FI unit
to run 'normally'. That's pretty clunky, on the other hand there are NO
cold start stalling problems because the fuel uses an external mechanical
device to control the cold idle.
Still I think I prefer a fully electronic mechanism like the Fury's, less parts
to fail. Though the Fury does stall out occasionally on me, it's not serious
enough that I'm worried about it.

On revving a cold engine: This is absolutely the WORST thing you can
do to a well maintained engine. It's stresses parts before there is
adequate lubrication to critical bearings. If you care about your engine's
service life, don't do this !
anecdote: I had a neighbor once that would start her engine and rev it
5 or 6 times immediately, every morning, without fail. Finally at 9,000 miles
the small end connection rod bearings wore out and the purr of the engine
was replaced with the loud knocking of bearings gone bad. That cold
engine revving habit finally took it's tool and she had to get the rods
rebuilt.

<edit> I take this back, the WORST thing one can do is to ride away accelerating HARD on a cold engine.. revving the cold engine is probably the 2nd worst thing one can do :)

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts

I've had three Honda cars since about 1990. Two went over 200,000 miles and my present one only has 114,000 with original brakes so I'm guessing as with their cars, all the bikes are built for the long haul as well.

All the Honda cars idled in such a way.

Also if you use 93 octane gas which most bikes use, it takes more spark to get this stuff to burn on cold startup so there might be an issue with maintaining enough power through and into the spark plugs to maintain proper firing of the high octane gas.
The throttle body EFI on the Fury is not like the cars, or the Goldwings. As I said in my other posts I uncrated and serviced my own Fury, and to be clear I started it without touching the throttle, let it run about 15 min until the fan cycled and shut it off, checked the bike over, started it and it ran fine, until it cooled, then it has this cold idle problem. After a few hundred miles, I disconnected the battery and let it set or 4 hours, reconnected the battery, idled till the fan cycled, ran fine till it cooled, then it acted up again. Did my first service, check plugs etc., still acted up. Connected the Honda HDS to the bike, ran a diagnostic, everything is good, reset the ECM with the tester, still acts up. The bike has always had nothing but 87 non ethanol fuel since I uncrated it. Honda service rep has been notified and he has been contacted by some other dealers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Cold Idle

Is it possible that the software which processes all the information being brought into it from sensors is not programmed to recognize this as an issue. Remember its only software and it will only find things which are loaded thus there might be an issue that it isn't recognizing?

So when analyzed its not showing as any problem.

Just guessing! I'm not a mechanic just a legend in my own mind.....hahaha!

Just kidding!! However I do know software and computers and I'm guessing this is a problem related to the processor or sensors and not something mechanical. You can basically throw most of what you know about carburated bikes out the window with these computerized electronic ignition and fuel injection systems.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
I am actually thinking of swapping my ECU with one from a bike that does not have the problem, that will tell me if it is a sensor or internal. The more I read about the EFI the more I think it may be the air control valve, it is not such a big deal that I am too troubled by it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Any resolution?

I was disappointed to see this thread tail off...

I picked up a used Fury with 440 miles on it. I was surprised by the cold engine characteristics--same as what's described above: has died a couple times when cold and hesitates if I try to take off too soon after starting it on cool mornings.

Everything is fine afterwards--again, as described above. But I can't say I expected an FI Honda to die on me. My damn '81 Honda CX500 wouldn't leave me in the lurch like that :)

Anyone ever figure out an actual "fix" for this?

Also, separate thread: the guy lost the manual, so I've never seen the owners manual for the Fury--anything of real note? Or is it just the typical owners manual stuff.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
mine didnt do it untill i got the 600 mile service. it doesnt happen often just hear the idle go high and low and then you hear it scream as i take off!

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
This doesn't make any sense. These engines are fuel injected, not carburated.
I agree with you, it is kind of weird...

**Here's a little rumor for everybody, supposedly Honda did this on purpose to emulate other bikes rough starting characteristics in the cold. Don't know, but could be translated back to the 1980's lawsuit from Harley, when another company imitated their "unique sound" in their bike.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts