Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Such a blue sky afternoon, despite the fact it was only 40 degrees (before accounting for wind chill), I grabbed the bike to run a few errands... I've noticed both times it's been this cold that there was a definite increase in the popping (not to the point of actual backfiring tho'). I'd know what to do with a carb'd engine, but not sure with the FI... got a Fi2000 on it... Any suggestions gratefully received!!

·
Premium Member
13,706 Posts
Such a blue sky afternoon, despite the fact it was only 40 degrees (before accounting for wind chill), I grabbed the bike to run a few errands... I've noticed both times it's been this cold that there was a definite increase in the popping (not to the point of actual backfiring tho'). I'd know what to do with a carb'd engine, but not sure with the FI... got a Fi2000 on it... Any suggestions gratefully received!!
block off pair valves.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
he's right-block off the pair valves then ride it for awhile.
if it still pops, let us know--btw, what are your settings on the Fi2000r?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Played with the settings on the Fi2000 a fair amount. Found the least popping combined with best pick-up at 1-2-1... Have been wondering whether the cold temperature might dictate a 1-2-2 setting... I need to read the threads on blocking off the pair valve... the fact that my popping (to this point) has been relatively rare and I spoke with a couple of Honda mechanics that between them had 60yrs experience & they recommended against it sorta made me dismiss the idea, however, the last couple of rides & your suggestions bring it to the fore again.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Just because they have had 60 years of combined experience, does not make them experts at anything and especially a Fury, we have proven more than a few mechanics wrong here on these forums. Here is this QA from the FAQ:

Q: Why is my bike backfiring after I replaced the stock pipes or air intake?

A: Either your fuel to air mixture is off, correct this with a fuel controller or it can be the pair valve, you would need to remove the pair valve and install a cover from here: VTX-Parts 1300 & 1800 Honda VTX Custom Motorcycle Parts, Pair Valve Covers, Radiator Grill Covers, Exhaust System Covers, Reed Valve Covers, Polished Stainless Steel, Polished Aluminum, Chrome to fix the issue. Get the one with the "dimples". Here is the link inside the forum so you can see the results from a Fury owner here: Pair valve removed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts