Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Honda's typically high-level of finish is not evident in these welds.
more discussion by the editor from motorcycle.com about the welds.

Mr. Duke, did all of the welds have the same sloppiness? After looking at the photo I think Sarnali might be on to something with them doing it on purpose/faking it.
Yeah, they were that sloppy on each of the bikes I looked at. I highly doubt they were done that way on purpose - that's not Honda's way, not even this supposedly "radical" Honda.
This concerns me.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
solid welds trust me !!

I was an industrial X-ray tech ...and those welds are solid , Honda does not manually weld frames they have robots that do that ....i don't see any undercutting and their maybe a few low spots on the cap but they are not thinner than the base metal .....its an ugly weld but trust me quality is not the problem here it's the finish , they should ,could have cleaned it up specially for the debut ......

·
Registered
9 Posts
...and those welds are solid , Honda does not manually weld frames they have robots that do that ....iQUOTE]

Dead wrong. Typically bikes that roll off the Honda production line are machine welded. In the case of the Fury, for the release the bikes in the NY IMS, they where hand welded. I spoke to the Honda rep about the poor look and he satisfied any concern over the integrity of the structure because of the overall design in which the way the tubes are slid together prior to any weld and the welds themselves. The welds are sound and will withstand years of service. It's just poor judgement on quality control standards for the debut of a company targeting a particular market segment where details count on every aspect. It also gives all those Amercian made bike company diehards something so obvious to pick out which is really helping to drive the buzz. Remember mechanically they don't know snot so their ridicule needs to be on something they can identify easily and they used up the shaft drive arguments already on the VTX's. Based on overall feedback from many folks I think Honda has heard us loud and clear and will most likely take corrective action to clean up the welds. Perhaps the machine welds will be more concise and hopefully the cross-eyed guy with the welder and shakey hands can find employment again welding bumpers on low cost RVs...

·
Registered
13 Posts
...and those welds are solid , Honda does not manually weld frames they have robots that do that ....iQUOTE]

Dead wrong. Typically bikes that roll off the Honda production line are machine welded. In the case of the Fury, for the release the bikes in the NY IMS, they where hand welded. I spoke to the Honda rep about the poor look and he satisfied any concern over the integrity of the structure because of the overall design in which the way the tubes are slid together prior to any weld and the welds themselves. The welds are sound and will withstand years of service. It's just poor judgement on quality control standards for the debut of a company targeting a particular market segment where details count on every aspect. It also gives all those Amercian made bike company diehards something so obvious to pick out which is really helping to drive the buzz. Remember mechanically they don't know snot so their ridicule needs to be on something they can identify easily and they used up the shaft drive arguments already on the VTX's. Based on overall feedback from many folks I think Honda has heard us loud and clear and will most likely take corrective action to clean up the welds. Perhaps the machine welds will be more concise and hopefully the cross-eyed guy with the welder and shakey hands can find employment again welding bumpers on low cost RVs...
What a big disappointment they probably had non-coded welders welding those ...like the welders at a muffler shop ....LOL
If anything it looks like they welded those welds a little to hot..most caps don't drip down like that..they welded those vertically ..they could possible have some burn threw and some internal undercutting next to that bead ,If they welded to hot but only an x-ray can show that. but, when i get my fury i will take it to the shop to get X-ray and those negatives don't lie ..... DID they tell you what kind of weld it is tig,mig, stick hard to tell with the paint .. I hope tig its a better stronger weld if done right but most tig welders are really good at welding and they would of cleaned up better.. i bet they mig welded it ..it kinda looks like a mig weld ..the way the cap looks ...hope not stick ....but could be ? :confused::confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
it would have to be mig

Stick would blow right thru base metal that thin, but Mig on a spray setting would fill it quite nicely, however in this case it wasn't done smoothly, so it was likely a non code welder (tsk tsk)

·
Registered
30 Posts
The welds look just fine..... they are strong welds, done on PRE-PRODUCTION bikes.... they are on the BOTTOM of the fuel tank.... on a $13k bike.... get over it.
Bike looks great... welds are strong as hell.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I saw Fury at the CycleWorld IMS show. It's even more impressive in person than in photos. I didn't notice the welds. The bikes not even in the dealers yet, so I'm sure the bikes at the show were pre-production. We will have to wait til the dealers get them in and see. It's a mass production motorcycle so they won't be custom perfect. I not worried.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I would like Honda to tell us!
As you can see this thread dates back to 2009, which they were all just speculating on stuff. Of course Honda did this on purpose, they are getting ready to come out with 2013 models and all the welds have been the same and no ones EVER had trouble with any of the welds on these bikes, so no need to be concerned about that.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Its a chopper style bike, the welds are supposed to look chopped and put together.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I have seen about 9 or 10 Furys from salvage yards, some with very serious front end damage. I have not seen one where the welds broke, nor did the tripple tree. The frame upright tubes would bend, the head would bend, the lower fork tube where it attaches to the wheel would break, but not the welds. These were very serious high impack crashes. So, real world tested. Passed!

·
Premium Member
13,673 Posts
I have seen about 9 or 10 Furys from salvage yards, some with very serious front end damage. I have not seen one where the welds broke, nor did the tripple tree. The frame upright tubes would bend, the head would bend, the lower fork tube where it attaches to the wheel would break, but not the welds. These were very serious high impack crashes. So, real world tested. Passed!
I dunno Mental.What am i going to do 25 or 30 years from now and these things start coming apart? lmao

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
It's been a while...

It's been a while, but it seems like I remember reading an article about the Honda Fury Designer or Design Crew stating that the "bulky" Welds were part of the Bikes original design. It was supposed to show the "in depth" forethought that went into making the first Production Chopper from Honda. "The frame is essential to making Fury appear custom".

I'll look for that article I read in 2010...

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
I have often wondered if they are even real welds and not just beads laid around the pipe to give it the effect of two pipes put together.

·
Premium Member
6,184 Posts
I have often wondered if they are even real welds and not just beads laid around the pipe to give it the effect of two pipes put together.
Tis a very interesting thought ! Maybe LiL-MFR has an opinion on this ???

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
It's been a while, but it seems like I remember reading an article about the Honda Fury Designer or Design Crew stating that the "bulky" Welds were part of the Bikes original design. It was supposed to show the "in depth" forethought that went into making the first Production Chopper from Honda. "The frame is essential to making Fury appear custom".

I'll look for that article I read in 2010...
That's what I read, too.
They're cosmetic in nature to make the bike look custom.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I remember this thread and just shaking my head and moved on, but since its being brought up again.... All my other honda's have welds just like this they just are not out in the open and easily noticed! Even my wifes Bulivard has welds simular to this to think they put large ugly welds as part of a "costom" look is pretty far fetched!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts