Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would post a quick DIY on how to remove the connectors, the big white ones, that are located inside the headlight. Being able to remove and replace these easily allows the chrome braid to be slide on over the cable looms that run to the Speedo, Handlebars and the main one that disappears under the tank.

Pictures speak a thousand words so here they are;

First slide the door open with a small flat screwdriver as shown in the following 3 pictures ...

Now take a small flat jewelers screwdriver and press it into the hole as shown, you will feel a small click when the tab bends back, you only have to press it in about 1mm. Sometimes it is easier if you have somebody wobble and tug on the wire as you press the tab in.

Here you see the wire and its pin removed from the connector. The tab fits in the square hole and locks it in place.

Okay, here we have a cable that has had the braid slid over the remaining small connectors. To do this easily tape all the connectors and wires up in electrical tape, and most importantly they must be located individually along the cable as shown below. If you don't separate the plugs etc you will never fit the braid over them. Take you time with the braid as it is a bit fiddly, you have to push it on, pulling only makes it tighter. When on the cable fully you can then pull it to shrink it back to be a firm fit on the cable and trim off the excess. Tape or use the heat shrink provided to terminate the ends.

IMPORTANT: Photograph and draw a picture of where all the wires go in each plug before removing.

The pins simply push back into the housing and snap into place when all the braid has been fitted.

Here is the link to the braid that I used - cost around $25

CHROME BRAID

or search " BRAIDED CABLE/HOSE/WIRE/LINE Stainless Steel LOOK Cover " on eBay.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Very nice write up! After seeing your pic earlier, I went out and switched my SS clutch cable behind the tree for more clearance due to my risers. Never thought of it before. Thats what I like about this forum, New IDEAS, not the BS back and fourth on stupid sh*t!
Braided hoses next. Thx

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thinkin I just want to do the wires coming off the handlebars and wondering how difficult it is to undo the wires from the grip control areas?? Anyone ever get into that those connections??

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Fishman, yeah those wires aren't so easy as they are all soldered onto the switches. The switches all come out easy but would be to big to get the braid over from memory.

With the braid the accelerator side is easy to do as there are minimal connectors in the headlight. The clutch side has a few more along with the speedo, but still much easier than having to solder all the wires.

Cheers
GUY

1 - 6 of 6 Posts