Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The beginning of the riding season I used Honda HP Coolant with a water wetter (I don't remember the brand, but I always use quality).

My question is, is there any difference between the Honda bike and Honda car coolants, besides the higher price for the bike?

Does anyone else use a water wetter? If so, is there a preferred brand or type you all use?
Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
First I've heard of Water Wetter. Thanks for that. Looks like it must include some kind of surfactant.

Interesting coolant question. Lots of info out there with differing opinions, but pretty good consensus to avoid silicates and phosphates. I'm in the camp of sticking with OEM-specified fluids, though I run HP4 oil in my Fury (arguable how exactly that follows).

From the 2010 manual, highlights added:

Your motorcycle’s liquid cooling system dissipates engine heat through the coolant jacket that surrounds the cylinder and cylinder head. Use Pro Honda HP coolant or an equivalent high quality ethylene glycol antifreeze containing corrosion protection inhibitors specifically recommended for use in aluminum engines. Check the antifreeze container label.

Maintaining the coolant will allow the cooling system to work properly and prevent freezing, overheating, and corrosion. Use only distilled water as a part of the coolant solution. Water that is high in mineral content or salt may be harmful to the aluminum engine. The factory provides a 50/50 solution of antifreeze and water in this motorcycle. This coolant solution is recommended for most operating temperatures and provides good corrosion protection.

NOTICE: Using coolant with silicate inhibitors may cause premature wear of water pump seals or blockage of radiator passages. Using tap water may cause engine damage.

Surely there are equivalent and ok-to-use ethylene glycol products that meet the description above but are labeled for cars. My $.02

·
Registered
103 Posts
The thing with WaterWetter is: it's not antifreeze.
So, if your bike goes below freezing....

I hear WaterWetter works okay, not great, but no where near better than the fan...
+1

If I read the manufacturer's site correctly, sounds like it is intended as a coolant additive, not replacement.

"Use one bottle for most passenger cars and light trucks, treats 3 to 5 gallons or 13.2 to 15.9 liters, vehicles with larger cooling systems should use two bottles, small cooling systems should use 1oz (3 to 4 capfuls) per quart"

·
Registered
2010 Sabre / Fury hybrid
92 Posts
Genuine Honda Long Life Coolant is pre-mixed 64 oz. about $ 24.00 Don't buy the Pro Honda HP Coolant Type-2 it comes in 32 oz size it is also pre-mix but is $ 13.00 it is the same thing.
I have Peak OET Asian vehicle extended life blue in mine. Saw it at advance auto damaged jug got it for $5.00.
In my opinion Evans Powersports Waterless Coolant gallon $ 28.00 plus prep fluid $ 32.00 would be the best.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!!
I am always learning and enjoy it.
You all are very knowledgeable and this forum has always been a joy to be on.

·
Super Moderator
3,018 Posts
The local Honda dealer (Don & Roy's) has Honda products at affordable prices, so I use them.

The only change is to Honda Full Synthetic oil, and I change the Final Drive oil when changing the Engine oil.

If I bought a Honda because of attention to detail & excellent engineering, makes sense to buy their fluids if they're affordably priced...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts