Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone! Just wanted to drop in and say I've been lurking for a while after picking up this Fury from a Copart auction. I've learned a lot about these bikes and they really have a passionate following.

This example is a 2011 Fury that someone really took care of. It had a ton of custom parts including aftermarket Cobra pipes, PowrFlo Air Intake System, digital display, Cobra FI2000R, I think a custom seat with passenger backrest, and hand painted pinstripes.

It looks like this bike went directly straight into something and then fell over on its side. The engine cases weren't even scratched, just a bent rear brake lever on one side. The main issue is the neck tube and down tubes. Obviously the neck-tube will need to be repaired along with bearings, but the down-tubes may wind up staying like that. I've checked the bike over and damn if I can't see any cracks or even a flaw in the paint on the factory welds. Geometry is going to be off a bit but this thing really took it in the face. The wheel wasn't even bent.

I've started the engine once so far and it sounds insane. I'd be glad to update this thread with progress. This is coming back form the auction, and current progress on the lift. (This is a Pro Cycle DT lift, I highly recommend if this kind of thing is your bag).

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I would recommend not using that frame. Being that mangled in the front, if not fixed correctly (ahem downtubes) is going to plague you with steering issues which will lead to a lot more issues (like odd tire wear). Just because you visually can't see and paint flaws or cracks doesn't mean they are there. I'd be willing to bed that there are tiny stress cracks all over that frame. Once it reaches yield the strength of the tubing drops dramatically...it doesn't take much from there to push the material into ultimate failure.

Honestly, source yourself a frame that's straight and then go from there. Much less of a headache. Also, that headtube is toast. Don't even try to repair it. Cut it off and weld a new one on (if you have to...but see paragraph above). That is one of the places that takes the most stress concentration. With it being a thin wall part and blown out like it is, there is no way to fix that correctly, maintain the tight tolerances needed for headtube bearings, and keep the structural strength needed for safety of the rider(s)

·
Registered
2011 Fury -Burgundy Lightening is a non-abs American bike-
84 Posts
Hello Everyone! Just wanted to drop in and say I've been lurking for a while after picking up this Fury from a Copart auction. I've learned a lot about these bikes and they really have a passionate following.

This example is a 2011 Fury that someone really took care of. It had a ton of custom parts including aftermarket Cobra pipes, PowrFlo Air Intake System, digital display, Cobra FI2000R, I think a custom seat with passenger backrest, and hand painted pinstripes.

It looks like this bike went directly straight into something and then fell over on its side. The engine cases weren't even scratched, just a bent rear brake lever on one side. The main issue is the neck tube and down tubes. Obviously the neck-tube will need to be repaired along with bearings, but the down-tubes may wind up staying like that. I've checked the bike over and damn if I can't see any cracks or even a flaw in the paint on the factory welds. Geometry is going to be off a bit but this thing really took it in the face. The wheel wasn't even bent.

I've started the engine once so far and it sounds insane. I'd be glad to update this thread with progress. This is coming back form the auction, and current progress on the lift. (This is a Pro Cycle DT lift, I highly recommend if this kind of thing is your bag).

View attachment 239747

View attachment 239748

View attachment 239749

View attachment 239750

View attachment 239751
Think how bad the damage would have been without that guardian bell. Worth the $

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Hivemaster Hey, it fell on the other side so you might be right ;)
Update: New frame is on the way! Its orange so I might have to paint it or else I'll have a KTM Fury at the end of this. I'll update this thread as I go along.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Update: New frame is on the way! Its orange so I might have to paint it or else I'll have a KTM Fury at the end of this. I'll update this thread as I go along.
Yeah keep this build thread going!

·
Registered
6,420 Posts

View attachment 239747

View attachment 239748

View attachment 239749

View attachment 239750

View attachment 239751
Dang, see what I miss when I'm not on here for a few hours.

I'm not sure what you paid for that frame but I have a good frame that is the correct color black for your bike. It came from my 2011 pearl white Fury.

I am in N.E. Florida... not sure where you are located.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Cancel that ebay sale and buy @Kbuskill s frame!!!

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Does @Kbuskill's development of an air suspension system negate the T-Mod? I'm on the fender already...

--
I forgot to put the seat belt on my five-year-old boy this morning and as we were leaving the trailer park, somebody shouted, "You're an irresponsible father!"
I shot back, “Who the f~(# said that?! Stop the car son!"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Status update:

Good news: Doing the fork seals on both forks. I actually have 2 right side lowers now as parts are hard to come by.

Bad news: Upon dismantling and doing the seals on the damaged fork it looks like there's a small dent in the fork tube catching on the upper bushing not allowing it to slide easily. I think this is the problem anyway. I've assembled and and now am disassembling the fork tube to try and see if that's the issue. I am on the fence on even doing the other side as it looks ok. If anyone has an extra fork let me know left tor right I am shaving these eventually and don't plan on running a fender.

Good news: The new new frame is at the powdercoater and I should have it back soon. Went gloss black.

Bad news: Frame showed up damaged in transit in the neck tube again of course, I didn't notice until I signed for it and the seller and transit company told me "Tough shit". I was able to heat it up and beat it back into shape. It looks ok where the race sits so it should be fine.

I have the parts of the steering head so I am just waiting for the frame to back from powder so I can do the bearings and get the triples on.
I plan on getting to a rolling chassis hopefully by mid month.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Status update:
View attachment 239996
Good news: Doing the fork seals on both forks. I actually have 2 right side lowers now as parts are hard to come by.

View attachment 239997
Bad news: Upon dismantling and doing the seals on the damaged fork it looks like there's a small dent in the fork tube catching on the upper bushing not allowing it to slide easily. I think this is the problem anyway. I've assembled and and now am disassembling the fork tube to try and see if that's the issue. I am on the fence on even doing the other side as it looks ok. If anyone has an extra fork let me know left tor right I am shaving these eventually and don't plan on running a fender.

Good news: The new new frame is at the powdercoater and I should have it back soon. Went gloss black.

Bad news: Frame showed up damaged in transit in the neck tube again of course, I didn't notice until I signed for it and the seller and transit company told me "Tough shit". I was able to heat it up and beat it back into shape. It looks ok where the race sits so it should be fine.

View attachment 239998

I have the parts of the steering head so I am just waiting for the frame to back from powder so I can do the bearings and get the triples on.
I plan on getting to a rolling chassis hopefully by mid month.
Man I hate to say, but that's sketch. I'd be filing a complaint with my credit card co if they are telling you tough shit. You didn't pay hard earned money for a damaged frame. Beating the head tube back into shape is not the way to do it... But since it's done now, you def can't return. Might be worth your while to take it to a frame or machine shop that can ream the bearing tolerances back out to spec because that is critical. The fact that you cold worked the material weakened it in the most critical area on the bike. I know you heated it, but that tempered the steel and changed the grain structure, then forced it into shape...not good for metallurgy and ultimate/yield strengths.

Me personally, I wouldn't move forward with building a frame like that...for safety concerns...but it's your build.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
The neck on these bikes are cast steel so they are hard to do anything with. To properly cut, weld, etc. on them they have to be heated and cooled in a controlled manner so as not to make them brittle.

It would probably be better at this point to cut the neck off the bike and weld on a HD style neck tube, which would also open up a lot more options for frontends as well.

My 2 bits, YMMV.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
The neck on these bikes are cast steel so they are hard to do anything with. To properly cut, weld, etc. on them they have to be heated and cooled in a controlled manner so as not to make them brittle.

It would probably be better at this point to cut the neck off the bike and weld on a HD style neck tube, which would also open up a lot more options for frontends as well.

My 2 bits, YMMV.
Cast steel for a head tube? That seems REALLY sketch. Pretty sure it's just DOM tube... That would be a terrible engineering material choice to choose cast for the head tube with the rest of the frame being mild steel tubing. Cast wouldn't bend like that either.

As well, seems as though that wouldn't make sense for manufacturing... Would need a completely different welding process than the rest of the frame.

But then again, I question engineering judgement on a lot of vehicle and motorcycle design.

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Cast steel for a head tube? That seems REALLY sketch. Pretty sure it's just DOM tube... That would be a terrible engineering material choice to choose cast for the head tube with the rest of the frame being mild steel tubing. Cast wouldn't bend like that either.

As well, seems as though that wouldn't make sense for manufacturing... Would need a completely different welding process than the rest of the frame.

But then again, I question engineering judgement on a lot of vehicle and motorcycle design.
Well I am neither an engineer nor a metallurgy expert but if you look at the neck tube "assembly" or saddle, for lack of a better term, you will see where the back bone and down tubes slip into the neck tube assembly and are welded.

It looks cast to me and others have made the same assertion including a welder that I was talking to about possibly racking the neck of my bike in a different manner than what others on here have done (cutting and shortening the backbone).

So again, I'm no expert, and I agree it doesn't make any sense, but it definitely appears to be cast from something.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Well I am neither an engineer nor a metallurgy expert but if you look at the neck tube "assembly" or saddle, for lack of a better term, you will see where the back bone and down tubes slip into the neck tube assembly and are welded.

It looks cast to me and others have made the same assertion including a welder that I was taking to about possibly racking the neck of my bike in a different manner than what others on here have done (cutting and shortening the backbone).

So again, I'm no expert, and I agree it doesn't make any sense, but it definitely appears to be cast from something.

View attachment 239999
Yeah I didn't look close enough when I had mine all apart (wasn't looking for it either). Hard to tell without seeing the raw material.

Reactions: Gizmo
1 - 20 of 43 Posts