Honda Fury Forums: banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@krashDH @Kbuskill Appreciate the concern and the metallurgy discussion. We'll be good. I saw what was involved with that T-Mod and figured if I wanted a close fender I'd spend money on a lowering shock or even an air ride kit. I don't want to cut on the frame really at all moving forward.

Again in theory the next update on this thread should be the roller if I can get these forks sorted out.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
@krashDH @Kbuskill Appreciate the concern and the metallurgy discussion. We'll be good. I saw what was involved with that T-Mod and figured if I wanted a close fender I'd spend money on a lowering shock or even an air ride kit. I don't want to cut on the frame really at all moving forward.

Again in theory the next update on this thread should be the roller if I can get these forks sorted out.
All good man, but working professionally in the engineering industry and seeing what I have with metals, no way I'd trust my safety and life with that. I'd be cutting that neck tube off and welding on another.

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Update! The eBay frame is back from powder and the part I've unwrapped so far looks amazing. I will post a full roller pic once I get to that point. The upper and lower steering bearing races are in. The old races were actually still in the ebay frame and when I removed them they were in perfect shape so I am very pleased with it. The new All-Balls races got frozen for half a day and then installed quickly. I wound up welding the old race to a 1/ 1/2in galvanized pipe and the used that to get the perfect strike point to install the lower. I am a terrible welder so I wont be showing that. 😬
This is the bearing sitting in the race. It spins freely and doesn't have any catch points. Same with the lower.

I am waiting on parts for the steering stem and of course the fork saga continues. Also I noticed finding tires for this bike is not easy.
The only decent ones I found were Bridgestones at Dennis Kirk.

·
Registered
2011 Fury
424 Posts
Update! The eBay frame is back from powder and the part I've unwrapped so far looks amazing. I will post a full roller pic once I get to that point. The upper and lower steering bearing races are in. The old races were actually still in the ebay frame and when I removed them they were in perfect shape so I am very pleased with it. The new All-Balls races got frozen for half a day and then installed quickly. I wound up welding the old race to a 1/ 1/2in galvanized pipe and the used that to get the perfect strike point to install the lower. I am a terrible welder so I wont be showing that. 😬
This is the bearing sitting in the race. It spins freely and doesn't have any catch points. Same with the lower.

View attachment 240106

I am waiting on parts for the steering stem and of course the fork saga continues. Also I noticed finding tires for this bike is not easy.
The only decent ones I found were Bridgestones at Dennis Kirk.
Poke around for the pirelli night dragons, have them on my - excellent tire package and performs flawlessly for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Update! Disassembly went very smoothly. Credit to the Honda engineers there are so many details that "make sense" from a production standpoint it was really impressive. There wasn't anything that gave me a hard time really. Here we are with everything off except for the main harness and fuel pump assembly.

We cut the old frame with a Sawzall to get the motor out of the original frame. The only thing I plan on keeping is the necktube with the VIN. The rest is trash.

A buddy came over and assisted with installation. We contemplated how to get the thing in there as it was a tight fit despite appearances.

A combination of laying over the motor and placing the frame over it seemed to work fine. I didn't want to crack cases and covers so we took as much care as possible. We tried to avoid scratching the new powedercoat as much as possible as well.

Once you get the motor lined up and the single frame bolt trough it lines itself up nicely. The 4 bolts in the motor bracket in the front lined up fine.

And we're back on the lift. Commence reassembly!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Update! I re-did the rear main seal because there was quite a bit of old grease and new oil in the bottom lip of the housing. My neck bearing smasher came in handy again!

Here is the rear end ready for the swingarm. My favorite part of the bike so far is the swing arm bracket, its so clever. My least favorite part is that breather hose from the top of the engine all the way down to the case. (in front of the oil filter there. Annoying, hard to move, and I've taken it off and on 3 times.)

At this point I am considering ripping the ECU back out and having it re-flashed but I do have the Cobra Fj900 on there or whatever so I figure I'll get it running first then tune it up.

Here's the electrical all tidied up. All connectors got shot of electrical cleaner and brush up for solid contact. Main terminal ground got some heat shrink and both neg and positivie got a good clean up brushing. The side-stand went on shortly after, that spring was a bear but was able to secure it into position. I def had my safety glasses on for that. I'm attacking the rear brake assembly/lines now as I figure it may be easier with everything out of the way before the swingarm goes on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Quick Update! I forgot to get a pic with the swingarm installed on its own. The rear wheel is on and the swingarm, hub, and that stabilizer bar on the left side got painted a gloss black.

The exhaust hanger was in rough shape but I got the rust off and mounted up fine. Brake caliper and hoses running to the distribution block is in and secure. I'm going to fill and bleed the rear brake now with the exhaust off.

The rear brake pedal had took it in the face during the wreck, but I was able to heat it up and bend it back into shape somewhat. The caps that go over the footpegs were both trashed so I just left them off. I plan on replacing those with something more my speed anyway.

The rear brake res got cleaned up and painted as well. The springs and brake lever action all seem to be in order.

The radiator is installed and went in fine which was a milestone for me because it was the first thing that came off during disassembly. I scrubbed forever on all those fins but looks like i need to spend even more time detailing this radiator. That lower hose is pain to get on there, its a tight squeeze again. The fins look ok, the cover got warped in the wreck but got a cleaning and a shot of paint itself. I'm leaving all the covers off for a while until I'm sure there's no leaks, bolt/nut loosening, etc.

Its starting to look like a motorcycle!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Update! I can tentatively say the fork drama is over and they are back on the bike and look pretty good. I used black appliance epoxy enamel again on this as I've done with my other bike. It stands up to chips slightly better than regular paint.

Front wheel is installed. Bearings and axle were cleaned up and re Bel-Ray'd. I can spin that thing like the Big Wheel on the Price is Right longer than the winner on College Day. 👓

I figured what the heck, I mocked these up to give myself some encouragement. 😇

Fluids are on the docket next, Oil change, hub oil change, brake fluid flush and change, coolant fill. If anyone knows any tricks to filling the radiator without disassembling everything that woudl be awesome.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
@Furi15 You inspired me to make an update! So many other non-bike projects lately.

The tank is back on! along with the Dakota Digital speedo that came with it. I'm not a huge fan of this thing but it seems to be of service. I don't know how many of the functions work but I know the neutral indicator woks. I was able to mount the right and left hand controls but the throttle cable is damaged with a kink and will need replacing. And of course a longer front brake line which I'll order up shortly after the bike is off the lift, I want to make sure I get a proper measurement and check with the forks lock-to-lock.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

The speedo is clamped on temporarily with a 1-inch bar clamp made to hold lights on an ATV. It actually works well and I can adjust the viewing angle if needed.

Motor vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

I've got my eBay special headlight mounted up. Huge ups to Bolt Depot. Their selection is awesome and the chrome spacers I ordered are top notch. If need chrome bolts etc. grab them there.
I went with the Chrome Glow fork mounted turn signals and running lights. These things are bright! From a safety standpoint I'm actually glad I have them on. They switch from running lights to amber indicators. Wiring is a snap.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle

On the original setup all of those plugs and connectors were jammed back in the headlight bucket and held down with brackets. I am going to have to punch a significant hole on the underside of Mr. eBay here and try and replicate that. This is a smaller headlight than stock so we'll see what we can do. One thing I did do was make plugs from the lollipop signals , I did not want to cut off any of the stock connectors from the factory wiring harness. I'm following this trend for the rear signals as well, I should have a post on those shortly.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
13,739 Posts
My 2010 took a hit in the front so i put a 10 over springer on it.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
@Furi15 You inspired me to make an update! So many other non-bike projects lately.

The tank is back on! along with the Dakota Digital speedo that came with it. I'm not a huge fan of this thing but it seems to be of service. I don't know how many of the functions work but I know the neutral indicator woks. I was able to mount the right and left hand controls but the throttle cable is damaged with a kink and will need replacing. And of course a longer front brake line which I'll order up shortly after the bike is off the lift, I want to make sure I get a proper measurement and check with the forks lock-to-lock.

View attachment 241366

The speedo is clamped on temporarily with a 1-inch bar clamp made to hold lights on an ATV. It actually works well and I can adjust the viewing angle if needed.

View attachment 241367

I've got my eBay special headlight mounted up. Huge ups to Bolt Depot. Their selection is awesome and the chrome spacers I ordered are top notch. If need chrome bolts etc. grab them there.
I went with the Chrome Glow fork mounted turn signals and running lights. These things are bright! From a safety standpoint I'm actually glad I have them on. They switch from running lights to amber indicators. Wiring is a snap.

View attachment 241368

On the original setup all of those plugs and connectors were jammed back in the headlight bucket and held down with brackets. I am going to have to punch a significant hole on the underside of Mr. eBay here and try and replicate that. This is a smaller headlight than stock so we'll see what we can do. One thing I did do was make plugs from the lollipop signals , I did not want to cut off any of the stock connectors from the factory wiring harness. I'm following this trend for the rear signals as well, I should have a post on those shortly.

View attachment 241369
Very cool and a great job. It's come a long way . The pin striping looks great.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts