Honda Fury Forums: banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Update: Rear lights! These are the Paradox LEDs from Lowbrow Customs. They are extremely light and bright af. I mounted them with rubber washers on both sides of the fender after measuring 20 times. With this scheme I can remove the rear fender without cutting any wires or assing around with anything but the plugs. The connections are soldered and heat-shrink-ed and they will have the plastic auto wire slinky on them as well before being tidied up under there. Plenty of room. The lights are running / brake / and turn (yellow!) all in those little bullets.

Test connections!

Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas

Plugs wired up and installed in the rear fender

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Final plug integration. The white plug can be used for a plate light later on. I saved the old one to repeat the process if/when needed. Again, avoid cutting the factory harness.

Electrical wiring Audio equipment Electricity Cable Gas

Lights on for fun! Yes turn signals have the hyper-flash. Yes I have a flasher relay from Speed Metal. No I don't know how to wire it in yet. But everything works!

Umbrella Hat Automotive design Helmet Gas

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Project Update: Final Update!

Here are the final updates I've done on this. Everything after this I'll call a stand alone modification or maintenance.

Here are my new pegs: Lowbrow Customs retro "Mushman" MX-inspired foot pegs. These can be rotated back and adjusted via a set hex. My riding style has the balls of my feet on the pegs instead of the arch of my foot and they don't slip off like the stock pegs. I'm super happy with these.

Tire Wheel Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive lighting

Next up my side mount LP from Chrome Glow. As wacky as a business name that is I am loving their stuff. I made my own bushing that connects the outer swing arm to the retainer assembly. There's one out there that costs upwards of 70 bucks so i just made my own. The side LED lights work great, I'll hide the feed wire in the future. That reflector is from my Ducati Monster so I could pass inspection (which it did) I might just leave it on there. Now getting a LP on an ebay frame bike is a whole nother post...

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Next up is a quick view of my clutch assist from Glenn's VTX Garage. Good lord they should install this from the factory, makes the bike a joy to ride. I had a sporty with a short cable and it wore out my hand to the point of being a safety issue. Get this if you don't have it already.

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

I had to switch out the headlight to one that had a high/low beam so Im rolling with this 7inch number with integrated turn signals. These plus the chrome glow fork mounts really make the bike visible even in the daytime. So far so good, I need to order a new mount bracket as this one is still slightly bent form the wreck and is pointing to the right a considerable bit. Additionally I'm going to need new throttle cables and do some tidying up there. The Dakota Digital gauge is growing on me even though its so chrome/stabby. I'm going to shave the forks in the near future as well to clean that up. I should have done that when i had everythnig apart but I was just trying to get them to work at that point.

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tire

Dirty side shot. Hit the covers with the same appliance epoxy as the forks. That stuff has been great. It took me several hours to get this side cover on, they want stuff to go a very particular way, there's not any wriggle room for stuff. So many zip ties under there. Also I'm leaving the engine and key covers off for now, i like being able to see the machinery under there.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

3/4 View
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Clean side! There's definitely an exhaust leak somewhere up near the front outlet, I can't be mad at that these pipes, they pretty much saved the bike especially the tank.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Next mods will be on next oil change to spray the clutch and alt covers, try to de-chrome this as much as I can. Shave the forks, do the throttle cables and clean up bars. Getting the covers to line up under the seat behind the engine ther emay not be possible, i'd have to see what I can do. They are about an 1/8 inch from touching edges under there and it looks like they kind of slot together in some fashion to give a smooth panel look. Other than that That's about it!

So far riding this thing around is super fun and the bike has a ton of power and I feel there's even more to be had. There is some back popping on deceleration but I need to work with the fuel controller more. It is very easy to ride on the highway. I understand now why y'all like these bikes so much. The bars do make it tricky in tight turns but I really like the riding position along with my pegs and folks on the street always give a it thumbs up. For a bike destined to be parted out and cut up, not too shabby.

Thanks to everyone on this forum and on this thread for the assistance, props, and words of encouragement.

I've given this bike the unofficial nickname of "The Dixie Flatline" after a character in the book Neuromancer which was a person who had died while being jacked into an illegal global underground network but got his consciousness uploaded to a kind of proto-Matrix where he was a sentient being but had no concept of, or had any effect of the passage of time.

This was a fun project and I'm looking forward to putting some miles on with this. Safe riding everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
896 Posts
GREAT thread and well done! I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks.
Did you ever wire up the relay? I've got similar lights waiting for me to put on, and I'm wondering if the fast flash rate is going to be too bad.
Here in Texas, turn signals aren't required, so I just leave my lights on fast flashing. I think it makes them more obvious. That, and they're super bright to begin with...

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Here in Texas, turn signals aren't required, so I just leave my lights on fast flashing. I think it makes them more obvious. That, and they're super bright to begin with...
Same here. I bought the proper relay, and I have never put it in. I think the fast flash catches more attention.

Reactions: Vic and Gizmo

·
Super Moderator
6,146 Posts
Same here. I bought the proper relay, and I have never put it in. I think the fast flash catches more attention.
Good point about the speed of the flashing. I'm sure that would be illegal in Oz as the flashing speed would be defined in the Australian Design Rules. Even if it wasn't there would be a cop who pulls you over and gives you a ticket for flashing too fast, then you'd have to argue it in court.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Good point about the speed of the flashing. I'm sure that would be illegal in Oz as the flashing speed would be defined in the Australian Design Rules. Even if it wasn't there would be a cop who pulls you over and gives you a ticket for flashing too fast, then you'd have to argue it in court.
All that sounds exhausting. I honestly had no idea that they got so into your shit down under. I remember the whole gun thing, but lately it just seems so ridiculously over the top

·
Super Moderator
6,146 Posts
All that sounds exhausting. I honestly had no idea that they got so into your shit down under. I remember the whole gun thing, but lately it just seems so ridiculously over the top
Yeah, we are over governed and over regulated. Lately you can add over COVID policed to the list as well.

For years there was an ADR (Australian Design Rule) for the minimum distance between turn signals for motorcycles. I can't remember exactly what it was but something like 28cm. You had cops measuring the distance between the turn signals when they pulled you over for random breath testing and writing tickets if they were under the ADR, until the motorcycle manufacturers lobbied the federal government to drop that rule. Mainly because no sport bikes or scooters could meet that rule without major changes for the Australian market. Now when you get stopped by the cops for random breath testing they check the turn signals are working and have amber lenses, then they shove a steel rod up your exhaust to see if you have baffles in your pipes. I've also seen them doing roadside noise checks on bikes. The cops love random breath testing as it gives them an excuse to write people up for all kinds of things in addition to drunk driving.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Yeah, we are over governed and over regulated. Lately you can add over COVID policed to the list as well.

For years there was an ADR (Australian Design Rule) for the minimum distance between turn signals for motorcycles. I can't remember exactly what it was but something like 28cm. You had cops measuring the distance between the turn signals when they pulled you over for random breath testing and writing tickets if they were under the ADR, until the motorcycle manufacturers lobbied the federal government to drop that rule. Mainly because no sport bikes or scooters could meet that rule without major changes for the Australian market. Now when you get stopped by the cops for random breath testing they check the turn signals are working and have amber lenses, then they shove a steel rod up your exhaust to see if you have baffles in your pipes. I've also seen them doing roadside noise checks on bikes. The cops love random breath testing as it gives them an excuse to write people up for all kinds of things in addition to drunk driving.
We have at least that in common. Insurance check is their favorite...

·
Super Moderator
6,146 Posts
We have at least that in common. Insurance check is their favorite...
Don't have to have insurance here in Florida to ride, even the cagers can be found with NO INSURANCE!!
The insurance thing in the US is quite interesting from an Australian perspective. Here in Oz we have what we call a greenslip or third party personal injury insurance. This is the only compulsory insurance and you can't register a vehicle without it. The government in NSW selected six insurance companies to do this insurance so you can pick which one you like (it's the same in all states). It's not cheap though for either my car or bike. The previous left wing state government got paid off by the insurance companies and the rates went through the roof. It used to cost $320 per year for a greenslip for my Fury but after the previous left wing government changed the rules my greenslip shot up to $960 per year (interestingly a Goldwing is cheaper than a Fury to insure because it's over 1350cc). The rating even includes if the bike can carry a pillion, so a single seat bike is slightly cheaper. Anyway because the thrid party personal injury insurance is compulsory the cops don't ask to see your insurance. All other insurance is optional but most people take out what we call comprehensive insurance that covers everything else and if you are a good rider and driver you can get some good no claim discounts. I'm on the highest 65% no claim discount which brings the premium down quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
The insurance thing in the US is quite interesting from an Australian perspective. Here in Oz we have what we call a greenslip or third party personal injury insurance. This is the only compulsory insurance and you can't register a vehicle without it. The government in NSW selected six insurance companies to do this insurance so you can pick which one you like (it's the same in all states). It's not cheap though for either my car or bike. The previous left wing state government got paid off by the insurance companies and the rates went through the roof. It used to cost $320 per year for a greenslip for my Fury but after the previous left wing government changed the rules my greenslip shot up to $960 per year (interestingly a Goldwing is cheaper than a Fury to insure because it's over 1350cc). The rating even includes if the bike can carry a pillion, so a single seat bike is slightly cheaper. Anyway because the thrid party personal injury insurance is compulsory the cops don't ask to see your insurance. All other insurance is optional but most people take out what we call comprehensive insurance that covers everything else and if you are a good rider and driver you can get some good no claim discounts. I'm on the highest 65% no claim discount which brings the premium down quite a bit.
Technically insurance is compulsory here as well. You sign your registration saying you agree to carry it. But plenty of people just stop paying, or never did. Which is why 'Uninsured Motorist' coverage is always an option when you buy insurance. I'd have to look up what my insurance is, because both bikes and the truck are all on one bill.

Don't have to have insurance here in Florida to ride, even the cagers can be found with NO INSURANCE!!
That surprises the fuck out of me!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Technically insurance is compulsory here as well. You sign your registration saying you agree to carry it. But plenty of people just stop paying, or never did. Which is why 'Uninsured Motorist' coverage is always an option when you buy insurance. I'd have to look up what my insurance is, because both bikes and the truck are all on one bill.

That surprises the fuck out of me!
I ain't complaining BUT I do carry FULL coverage on ALL my vehicles BECAUSE the other guy probably doesn't have any .... DUMB ASSES!! (Besides, I'm 'retarded' now so the 'working folks' pay for my living ... it don't come out of my pocket!)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
@Vic Thank you! No I haven't installed the flasher relay yet and may hold off on it. The only video I could find even showing anythiang that may be helpful was this one for a CBR and he gets into that main big white connector that lives in the headlight which I'm staying away from for now.

Also whoever installed the Dakota Digital Gauge didn't do a great job and the signal indicators on the gauge do not work, I'm suprised as much of it works as it does becaause I see the hack job they did on it. Tach, speedo, and neutral light seme to work. Clock displays but I have to set it each time.

If anyone has ordered extended throttle/clutch cables I could use some help there. The brake line was easy enough and I htink its a bit long to tell the truth.

·
Super Moderator
6,146 Posts
@Vic Thank you! No I haven't installed the flasher relay yet and may hold off on it. The only video I could find even showing anythiang that may be helpful was this one for a CBR and he gets into that main big white connector that lives in the headlight which I'm staying away from for now.

Also whoever installed the Dakota Digital Gauge didn't do a great job and the signal indicators on the gauge do not work, I'm suprised as much of it works as it does becaause I see the hack job they did on it. Tach, speedo, and neutral light seme to work. Clock displays but I have to set it each time.

If anyone has ordered extended throttle/clutch cables I could use some help there. The brake line was easy enough and I htink its a bit long to tell the truth.
Just put some resistors across the output of the flasher can and it will work with LEDs. You'll need something like 6 ohms and 50W rating or you could just by a LED flasher can and swap it over with the stock flasher can.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
I installed a new flasher relay years ago.. it's under the seat, not in the headlight can. Easy to do, and while we don't have to really worry about flash rate here in TX (anymore... it used to be a law years ago), there are other states that do care and it's a good idea to never give those states a reason to pull you over. Mine is an ELFR-1.

On the off-topic, US laws are a bit scattered as a whole because they are all defined by each state, insurance being the previous example. Here in TX, you don't have to carry insurance IF you can show proof of financial responsibility. I forget what the dollar figure is, but it's something like $300k. I find it easier to just have insurance rather than the 'proof' of financial responsibility because most cops wouldn't even know where to start with that.

EDIT: typos and verfied the version of my flasher relay + link.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.