Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just bought my first Fury! Loving it so far, but had a question. The exhaust that came on the bike was custom and instead of dropping straight down by the foot peg, it squiggles back between the covers (near my calf). It seems overly hot where it’s located, so I was wondering if a system like the cobra exhaust (that goes down by the foot peg) has any similar issues like that? I just don’t see why you’d purposely move it towards your calf rather than where the factory exhaust goes.
I appreciate any input, as I don’t want to buy a new exhaust system only to have a different issue. I’d never heard about Fury owners having exhaust issues, but based on the bikes I’ve rode in the past, this thing is radiating heat.

·
Registered
2011 Fury
230 Posts
Hey guys, just bought my first Fury! Loving it so far, but had a question. The exhaust that came on the bike was custom and instead of dropping straight down by the foot peg, it squiggles back between the covers (near my calf). It seems overly hot where it’s located, so I was wondering if a system like the cobra exhaust (that goes down by the foot peg) has any similar issues like that? I just don’t see why you’d purposely move it towards your calf rather than where the factory exhaust goes.
I appreciate any input, as I don’t want to buy a new exhaust system only to have a different issue. I’d never heard about Fury owners having exhaust issues, but based on the bikes I’ve rode in the past, this thing is radiating heat. View attachment 240505
All depends on the exhaust but yes you can get an exhaust that follows the existing alignment of the stock pipes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All depends on the exhaust but yes you can get an exhaust that follows the existing alignment of the stock pipes.
Thanks for the reply! I guess my question should've been more direct. Do Fury's have an issue with heat from exhaust, or is that more of a product from the way my exhaust is run?

·
Registered
2011 Fury
230 Posts
Not usually. I have the Vance and Hines slip ons with the stock head pipes and I was just out in 95*+ weather with no heat issues on my legs. It’s the exhaust that’s on your bike, right behind your calf I’d figure it would get hot too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the Cobra swepts and there is no heat issue at all with them.
Appreciate you chiming in. While watching all reviews on the Fury, no one said anything about heat, so I figured it could just be my issue with exhaust.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Appreciate you chiming in. While watching all reviews on the Fury, no one said anything about heat, so I figured it could just be my issue with exhaust.
It is, even though your pipes have heat wrap on them, an unshielded pipe runs extremely hot. The good thing about the Cobras is that the whole pipe is covered in a heat shield and to be honest, if you burn yourself on them, you were trying too. Those pipe on your bike are in a position were you constantly have to be careful. The ones I have are all under your feet.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Heat wrap really isn't much of a heat shield. The stock pipes are really well shielded, some after market ones not so much. I have Hacker Rippers and they get hot.

·
Super Moderator
3,530 Posts
so I was wondering if a system like the cobra exhaust (that goes down by the foot peg) has any similar issues like that?
The stock pipes are covered by a 3-sided heat shield from the engine to the muffler (the non-visible side is open). In critical areas where a rider might touch the exhaust there is an additional shield (meaning a second shield to over the first shield).

The Cobra Swepts have one shield, so are a little hotter in critical areas, but have a sleeker look.

Yours have a wrap on the exhaust pipes giving it a custom look and some protection, but there's not a three-sided heat shield so it's warmer than the others.

I just don’t see why you’d purposely move it towards your calf rather than where the factory exhaust goes.
The exhaust shape is well done and is bent to replicate a look where the exhaust doesn't have to be removed in order to access the stuff behind the side covers; in this case it's more stylistically done to show the chrome. Historically, if the timing needed to be adjusted, the side cover would have to be removed, meaning removing the exhaust pipes, meaning replacing the exhaust gaskets at $4 each (plus having an extra set of gaskets on hand to begin with) every time the timing was tweaked), which is a real pain in the @$$ verses just having to remove the cover (especially when putting everything back together). The Fury is EFI, so timing is set electronically and the cover is removed only to verify the timing, which is infrequent at best. The Fury also uses $10 exhaust gaskets that most people find reusable, so there's that... The other cover is to access the clutch basket which used to be much more common, especially on race bikes. Basically in your case it's a style thing, and very well done.

Maybe see if it grows on you. If not, someone will probably trade you a new stock exhaust for your pipes, to which you can add Cobra Slip-Ons and have awesome sound at moderate volume with excellent heat shielding.

--
Tails of my Trailer Park Lows
Since Independence Day is coming up it sounds like a war zone in the trailer park with all the fireworks going off. It's much easier to sleep with the constant sound of explosions verses the random shooting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The stock pipes are covered by a 3-sided heat shield from the engine to the muffler (the non-visible side is open). In critical areas where a rider might touch the exhaust there is an additional shield (meaning a second shield to over the first shield).

The Cobra Swepts have one shield, so are a little hotter in critical areas, but have a sleeker look.

Yours have a wrap on the exhaust pipes giving it a custom look and some protection, but there's not a three-sided heat shield so it's warmer than the others.

The exhaust shape is well done and is bent to replicate a look where the exhaust doesn't have to be removed in order to access the stuff behind the side covers; in this case it's more stylistically done to show the chrome. Historically, if the timing needed to be adjusted, the side cover would have to be removed, meaning removing the exhaust pipes, meaning replacing the exhaust gaskets at $4 each (plus having an extra set of gaskets on hand to begin with) every time the timing was tweaked), which is a real pain in the @$$ verses just having to remove the cover (especially when putting everything back together). The Fury is EFI, so timing is set electronically and the cover is removed only to verify the timing, which is infrequent at best. The Fury also uses $10 exhaust gaskets that most people find reusable, so there's that... The other cover is to access the clutch basket which used to be much more common, especially on race bikes. Basically in your case it's a style thing, and very well done.

Maybe see if it grows on you. If not, someone will probably trade you a new stock exhaust for your pipes, to which you can add Cobra Slip-Ons and have awesome sound at moderate volume with excellent heat shielding.

--
Tails of my Trailer Park Lows
Since Independence Day is coming up it sounds like a war zone in the trailer park with all the fireworks going off. It's much easier to sleep with the constant sound of explosions verses the random shooting.
Thank you for the detailed response! This makes a lot of sense. I don't anticipate ever doing work with the timing, so it's somewhat unnecessary for me to have access. I thought about trying to sell the custom pipes through eBay or something, and then snagging a set of the Cobra Swepts. Just trying to figure out the correct price to ask for them. They were custom made by CCS Choppers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bonjour
Sur ma moto, j'ai les Cobra. Le bruit est magnifique mais .... il y a plusieurs bémols avec les Cobra. Le pire est qu'ils touchent le sol dans les virages à droite. ça déstabilise la moto et ça fout la trouille. Le deuxième problème est le bruit, en Suisse cela commence à déranger et je le comprends. Je vais donc remettre les pots standards qui font moins de bruit et qui touchent moins vite le sol. Je vais tenter de vendre mes Cobra noirs.
Salutations

·
Registered
351 Posts
Not usually. I have the Vance and Hines slip ons with the stock head pipes and I was just out in 95*+ weather with no heat issues on my legs. It’s the exhaust that’s on your bike, right behind your calf I’d figure it would get hot too.
me too , have the V&H and love them, no heat issues I live in florida and rode everyday for 17 months

·
Registered
355 Posts
Bonjour
Sur ma moto, j'ai les Cobra. Le bruit est magnifique mais .... il y a plusieurs bémols avec les Cobra. Le pire est qu'ils touchent le sol dans les virages à droite. ça déstabilise la moto et ça fout la trouille. Le deuxième problème est le bruit, en Suisse cela commence à déranger et je le comprends. Je vais donc remettre les pots standards qui font moins de bruit et qui touchent moins vite le sol. Je vais tenter de vendre mes Cobra noirs.
Salutations
C’est compréhensible

·
Registered
2010 Sabre of Fury
450 Posts
If you like the pipes, they look pretty good from here. I got a clamp on shield from DEI
Made of the same material as the wrap but has is thicker and has standoffs to allow an air gap. You can ride for an hour and, don't get me wrong it's hot but you can rest your hand on it or calf and it's not bad. It really needs to be a straight section of pipe but it will bend around the outer surface of the pipe.

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Super Moderator
3,530 Posts
[Translated to English:]
Hello
On my bike, I have the Cobra. The noise is magnificent but .... there are several caveats with the Cobra. The worst part is that they touch the ground in the right turns. it destabilizes the bike and it scares people. The second problem is noise, in Switzerland it's starting to bother and I understand that. I will therefore put back the standard pots which make less noise and which touch the ground less quickly. I'll try to sell my Black Cobra.
Greetings
Please post in English. Posting both the original content and Google Translation is suggested. This is the common language this forum uses.

Translated to French:
Merci de poster en anglais. Il est suggéré de publier à la fois le contenu original et Google Translation. C'est le langage commun utilisé par ce forum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts