Honda Fury Forums: banner

Custom Paint Job

16K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  Wawa fury 
#1 ·
Looking for feedback on what is a reasonable price for a custom paint job on the bike.
I checked into seeing what a custom paint job would be and found they quoted me $2400 and a three week down time.

I've seen their work and it's first rate.
Looking at red ghost flames and skull on the tank and fenders.

I'm curious to know if this is a reasonable price from others who went down the custom paint job path.

Let me know
Thanks
Tony

#3 ·
The cheapest I've seen two color graphic custom jobs is $1500. What you are looking at probably would be in the $2k range. Ghost flames are pretty basic what would determine the price would be the amount of detail in the skulls and how many.

This guy is pretty close to you, I hear his prices aren't to bad.
Home

#6 · (Edited)
All that airbrush artwork takes alot of time, doesn't sound out of line for what I have seen.
"Good paint jobs aren't cheap, and cheap paint jobs aren't good"
Custom Motorcycle Painting | Custom Painter can give you a close quote and is highley spoken of on the VTXOA.
I paid 1200 (local painter)for my VTX, cobalt blue w/ghost flames 2 fenders and 1 tank

same guy charged me 500 for Fury tank and rear fender real fire flames on stock base color

#7 ·
Tony they seem highly quallified, but that will be your judgement, but with any artist or any thing custom, the most IMPORTANT thing is being able to COMMUNICATE to the artist exatly what you want. Words can have different meanings to different people. Any visual aids, pictures of similar jobs that you can find anywhere, pictures of graphics, flames, ect, that you want will help the artist understand your needs. Pictures are trully worth a thousand words in this case. Good Luck, I am sure she is gonna look PURDY!:)

#10 ·
I talked to Pamela Shenteau which is nationally known and one of the best and if they clear coat and keep my original base color but go wild with the work I am looking at 4500.00. I have had cheaper estimates but her work is 2nd to none. That is my last mod after I go 250 tire kit. would have been dumb to do it and then replace both fenders and have to pay again.

Airbrushing Airbrush Artist Custom Motorcycle Harley Auto Paint Painting

#16 ·
I've been too busy to really take the time to be on the Forum and frankly, I miss it. I read every day but with painting, there is not much time to contribute right now. But I thought I would put my 2 cents worth in on this one.

When I paint a custom paint job I wet sand the entire piece, listen to the customer and try to give them more than they expect. Airbrushing scenes or pictures takes a LOT of time. Just the materials cost hundreds not to mention utilities, equipment, effort and all the little things that can go wrong when painting with automotive paints. :(

Some want the artwork to be bright and stand out like a cartoon. Some want the art to be 'blended' and faint. Some want it both ways and some will never be pleased.

Custom paint job costs depend on the amount of detail required. "Real Flames" are quick and relatively easy and some will charge more than I feel they are worth. Taped flames are a little more difficult with layouts and pinstriping if needed.

The most expensive are the ones that hand you a picture and want you to detail that on their bike!

The minimum I charge is $400 for basic work. This cost covers my material, labor and must be completed in a two day period. The most I've charged is $15,000 for a complete scene on a Boss Hoss that took almost 6 months to complete!

Here is an example of a fairing I just completed last night. This VET is a very dear friend and he handed me a picture and wanted that picture on his bike. He also wanted the American Flag and all to be blended into clouds.

Here is a pic of the product. Regular cost ... $1500. What I charged him....$0.00. What he gave me....FREEDOM! I needed to give something back to the Vets and this is my way to do that.

Now about the paint job. I was not happy with the result. It took 40 hours of painting, over 20 colors and over $200 in materials to complete. I replicated the picture just fine, added the flags, smoked the clouds and then screwed up the lettering.

He thought it looked perfect. I see all the imperfections. This is what makes artwork expensive. Trying to please yourself is much harder than pleasing your customer. :eek:

Everyone's idea of what they want on their bike is different and painters or artists don't read minds. My suggestion is to find an artist, tell them EXACTLY what you want and then give them some flexability to insert their own talent. Tell them what you want to spend and let them suggest a value for your dollar.

Ok, back to painting.

Attachments

#19 ·
#25 ·
I airbrush...

I agree with 'Painter' post mostly...

I how ever do a full color sketch of the piece, design or graphic to make sure the customer and i are on the same page... down side is no one want t pay for a sketch and once i do one so many people take it to a painter in their state to have it done... and usually are not happy with it.

Here are my step in choosing a paint sceam/artist...

1. Look at magazines and books (tattoo books, car mags, bike mags, etc...)
2. Whats your budget? (a good painter will work with you on your concept/sceam and come up with ideas to achiev it and staying in your budget)
3. Think about resale. (a paint job can make or break your resale. Ladys wanting a pink roses on her bike will kill the resale. Having custom ghost, tribal, pinstripping, etc... done clean and neat can increase the appeal)
4. The artist. ( 9 painters all have their nitch. Some are great at tapped flames but could do a true flame fro crap. some are great at portraits but dont make it flow with the curves of the bike. PS. Portraits kill resale!!! Ask to see all types of their work. Me personaly have been behind the brush for 14 years and started with t-shirts at the beach and have progressed through murals, cars, guitars, helmets, body paint (my favorite!) and of cource bikes!)
5. Optical tricks/effects. ( talk to the artist about pearls, metal flake, kandy colors, etc... a simple ghost flame can look 5x better with a peral/metal flake in the clear coat which is easy to add to the clear and just costs a little bit more for the material. Example: a black bike with blue or red pearl lookskiller in the sun as well as a silver base with blue or purple! (pearls and metalics are great for resale! as long as it doesnt look like you dumpe kids glitter bag all over it.)

But listen... dont take my word for it... I'm buffing out my work on my own fury and will have picks up tomorrow. your be the judge if i have some experience or am just full of crap.

Latta

#29 ·
Pics are below
Very nice Easy! I always enjoy looking at true talent! Most don't have any idea how much time and effort goes into a 'custom paint job'. Some of the prices posted seem pretty high to me and some seem low. Go figure.

I have been frantically working on my Fury's paint and hope to have something done to post in the next few weeks. Trying to paint in between customer's jobs presents it's own problems.

I agree with all you've said on this thread and hope that all who want a custom paint job are happy with the result. No modification can add more value to a bike than custom paint!;)

However, remember that one should look at the overall appeal of the paint for resale value. Not too many keep a bike forever and the wrong choice can greatly reduce the resale price. :cool: