Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on this forum somewhere that someone cut 1 inch off the front shock springs to lower the front of the bike. Really? Any more info out there on this subject? I've got a few basic questions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I read on this forum somewhere that someone cut 1 inch off the front shock springs to lower the front of the bike. Really? Any more info out there on this subject? I've got a few basic questions.
Here's the two liner I referenced. I'm not sure if these two are still active members but from Aug 9 2013 Fury Forum member "Smokin Tyre Garage" asks Fury Forum member "Bwils2393" "Did you tell me you cut your front springs to lower it? How much lower? And Bwils2393 says "Yea I cut bout inch off". Good or bad, any more info on this subject out there? Maybe I should just try it to see what happens, and THEN get back to you all. What could possibly go rong? ...... err I meant Wrong.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the two liner I referenced. I'm not sure if these two are still active members but from Aug 9 2013 Fury Forum member "Smokin Tyre Garage" asks Fury Forum member "Bwils2393" "Did you tell me you cut your front springs to lower it? How much lower? And Bwils2393 says "Yea I cut bout inch off". Good or bad, any more info on this subject out there? Maybe I should just try it to see what happens, and THEN get back to you all. What could possibly go rong? ...... err I meant Wrong.
Now I get it! It's for when you're boasting a 23 or 26 inch, up front. images.jpg

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Since I don't see any answers to your question, I'll take a stab at it.
See the exploded diagram below.

Maybe this will give you a better understanding of the insides of the fork if you do decide to dive into this.

Without getting too into the weeds of the engineering and equations behind what you're going to do, in Lehman's terms, you are going to stiffen the ride. Spring rate is based on wire diameter, number of active coils, free height, material properties, blah blah blah.
When you remove active coils, you are effectively increasing the spring rate. Or K factor. The amount of force it takes to compress the spring 1".
Whether taking an inch off the spring is going to be really noticeable, well you'd have to run some numbers. Which I can't really do because I would need a spring out of the fork. Which I have at home, but I have other projects I need to be focusing on:)

That being said, you will shorten and stiffen the ride, it will handle differently because you are changing the trail of the fork (due to changing the angle of it, so). It would be more "responsive" to rider input since the trail gets

As well, with shorter springs, there's a chance internally that you could do some damage if you unloaded the fork quickly. as there may not be any pressure on the spring at full droop (if you try to wheelie).

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am pretty sure you can get a lowering kit for the front... it has smaller springs..

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
You do not need to cut anything, buy some PVC tubing , remove the spacers, parts 4 &5 in breakdown, measure them, cut the pvc 1 inch shorter and reassemble, you won't do anything irreversible , if you don't like it or want more/less, cut new spacers.Cutting the springs 1" will not lower the front 1", what it will do is change the rate of the front end suspension .

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
You do not need to cut anything, buy some PVC tubing , remove the spacers, parts 4 &5 in breakdown, measure them, cut the pvc 1 inch shorter and reassemble, you won't do anything irreversible , if you don't like it or want more/less, cut new spacers.Cutting the springs 1" will not lower the front 1", what it will do is change the rate of the front end suspension .
This is correct... cutting the springs will increase the spring rate making the front end more stiff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts