Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to widen their stock swing arm ? I think someone has done so and is selling it on ebay . It has made me think about buying someones stock swing arm and attempting this MOD myself . Would need to now the clearance of the shaft though ? any thoughts ???

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Wow, that is pretty ballzzzzzy!! I would love to see it but I think you are now entering a scary area that is meant only for true professionals.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty possitive it can be done and someone has done it . There is a listing on ebay . Hey I am a crane operater in nyc and rebuilt two tower cranes wich required hundred of hours of cutting and welding in the supports and they never failed so I am confident it can be easily done . Just trying to get some feed back ?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also if you have a quick second there are three listings of swing arms on ebay all different colors . There is a listing for a black Sumo X i believe that its a stock swing arm modified by the seller . Check it out .

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
The sumo x is a stock arm modified by sumo x which is a company that makes the wide tire kit for the Fury.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at the pic on ebay and comparing it to the stock swing arm You get a good idea of what needs to be done . its easy to compare being that my i have my rear tire off . sent the rim to get widened at Kosman .

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Don’t have any pictures, but I have a Sumo-x swing arm and the 250 kit. There are notches taken out and he welds in extra support pieces to make it work.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah Im thinking You would have to add some support if Your taking out some metal . did they add the supports to the bottom of each side of the swing arm . I mean I can pick up a stock swing arm for a $100 and have a go at it .

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
I am planning to take mine apart this week, what measurements do you need. You know they are aluminum right ?

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
It is also made longer on one side!
That is a modified SUMO X swing arm on ebay.
There are also 2 stock swing arms on ebay for sale.
Do a side by side pic and look at the dif.
Better know what you are doing!!!!
Listen to clueless!!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok maybe you know more about Physics than I do but if one side of the swing arm is longer than the other wouldn't the bike ride crooked down the road ?!

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Ok maybe you know more about Physics than I do but if one side of the swing arm is longer than the other wouldn't the bike ride crooked down the road ?!
Its supposed to......

LOL, I know what your saying but if you look at the stock next to the modified swing arm it appears that they also extend one side?
Or I could have been looking at it drunk?

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Its supposed to......

LOL, I know what your saying but if you look at the stock next to the modified swing arm it appears that they also extend one side?
Or I could have been looking at it drunk?
If you are looking at just the swing arm, then yes the right is longer, the final drive has been removed

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So your saying not only are they widening the swing arm where u can clearly see where they modified it in those pics but they extended the swing arm as well ? Not arguing your observation but if they extended it this would make for a longer wheel base and would totally weaken the structure. Would be a death trap !

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I just spoke to Kurt from Sumo-X and he confirmed my exact thoughts the only widen your swing arm at the point where the tire would rub. No extension @ all.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Ok I just spoke to Kurt from Sumo-X and he confirmed my exact thoughts the only widen your swing arm at the point where the tire would rub. No extension @ all.
Told you I was drunk!
I do know a new torque arm comes with the kit! They don't modify your old one. So you will need a new one.
Just trying to help.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes the torque arm is the only other thing that would rub but you can by that separate at sumo-x or it can easily be made frome some stock .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts