Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Give me reasons not to do it. I plan on getting the L&M spring, but if this would work, why not? Save $200...

Anyone with the lowering spring- is the spring shorter than the stock spring? Or does it have a different spring rate?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two reasons.

1. You're not in high school.
2. It's ghetto.
1. I actually just graduated ;)
2. From what I researched, not if it's done correctly.

$200 for a single spring seems a little steep when you can get a whole set for practically any car for less then that.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts

L&M blue on left, stock on right. I tried to cut some Goldwing springs to use for lowering and never could get the cut straight, tried the ole heat and squish, didn't work out too well either, if you hose your spring, you will need to buy a complete shock from Honda 800 something bucks, (they do not sell just the spring)or a spring from L&M. I would try to get one from someone who installed the L&M, and is sure they will not be going back to stock.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

L&M blue on left, stock on right. I tried to cut some Goldwing springs to use for lowering and never could get the cut straight, tried the ole heat and squish, didn't work out too well either, if you hose your spring, you will need to buy a complete shock from Honda 800 something bucks, (they do not sell just the spring)or a spring from L&M. I would try to get one from someone who installed the L&M, and is sure they will not be going back to stock.
The plan is to get the L&M spring and THEN cut the stock spring. If it works out, great. I'll sell/return the lowering spring. It'll not only save me $200, but anyone else out there looking for a simple solution to lowering the ass end of the bike. If it doesn't work out too well, I have the L&M spring to fall back on.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Spring rate is different, diameter is slightly larger and spring is shorter. Trust us $200 will not seem so high after cutting and modifying other springs with no success. We did all the work and R&D to save you the trouble. BUT if you insist we will sell you our stock spring for $75.

We know times are tough give us a call we will help you if we can.

LM

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spring rate is different, diameter is slightly larger and spring is shorter. Trust us $200 will not seem so high after cutting and modifying other springs with no success. We did all the work and R&D to save you the trouble. BUT if you insist we will sell you our stock spring for $75.

We know times are tough give us a call we will help you if we can.

LM
I am purchasing your spring first. Who knows? Maybe I will have success. If not, there goes the $200 I planned on spending in the first place.

The stock spring would just collect dust in my garage anyway. Why not try something new and completely plausible?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I am purchasing your spring first. Who knows? Maybe I will have success. If not, there goes the $200 I planned on spending in the first place.

The stock spring would just collect dust in my garage anyway. Why not try something new and completely plausible?
The engineering answer to your question is this: anytime you cut coils off a spring, the remaining spring will be "stiffer" (have a higher spring rate) than the original. This may not be a problem, if you're still within functional parameters; if not, you're going to have one helluva hard ride! FWIW.

PS: Pull out your engineering reference manuals and look-up "Spring Rate".

Cheers

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
call me crazy but aren't there lowering kits out there that already do this?
oh, wait, yes, there are.
seriously kids, lowering the bike, extending the rake, chopping the rear fender height all go towards giving the Fury a nice look...
notice i did not add " and feel".

You think that puppy rides firm now, go ahead and chop that spring by hand...
Someday, after you've hit the ripe age of 30, you'll bend over to pick up another beer and your back is going to go---"POP"

enjoy.

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
seriously kids, lowering the bike, extending the rake, chopping the rear fender height all go towards giving the Fury a nice look...

Someday, after you've hit the ripe age of 30, you'll bend over to pick up another beer and your back is going to go---"POP"

enjoy.
i did cut my spring befor i got the lowering kit.felt like a friggin hardtail.got rid of my kidney belt years ago AND want go that way again.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

enjoy.
I'm completely fine with how the bike rides now. The stock seat works fine for me too. I guess that's what being young does for me. Even if it does ride hard, you think I'm gonna keep that setup for another twelve years? If it's a completely terrible ride, I'll go ahead and get the lowering spring. If it's noticeable, but not too bad, I'll keep it for a little while. It's not like I can't go back to stock/new spring setup. I'm getting another stock spring to mess around with.

Like I told L&M, the stock spring would just sit in my garage collecting dust. Why not give it a shot?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i did cut my spring befor i got the lowering kit.felt like a friggin hardtail.got rid of my kidney belt years ago AND want go that way again.
How much did you cut off?

I only plan on taking off the very minimum as I already have the Tony Mod done to my bike.

·
Registered
93 Posts
daRe,

I think what they are all trying to tell you, is that your bike is gonna ride like shit when your done. They aren't telling you this because they THINK its going to ride like shit. They are telling you this because they KNOW your bike is gonna ride like shit. A hard tale is no joke. You will feel EVERY little bounce in the road. Not just a little either, a LOT. I have heard of guys from the old days, pissing blood, from riding to far on a hard tail.

So, you asked for advice, and the guys are giving it to you. My suggestion. Take their advice. I know I would. That is the wonderful thing about being 42. You have NO problems learning from other peoples mistakes.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
daRe,

I think what they are all trying to tell you, is that your bike is gonna ride like shit when your done. They aren't telling you this because they THINK its going to ride like shit. They are telling you this because they KNOW your bike is gonna ride like shit. A hard tale is no joke. You will feel EVERY little bounce in the road. Not just a little either, a LOT. I have heard of guys from the old days, pissing blood, from riding to far on a hard tail.

So, you asked for advice, and the guys are giving it to you. My suggestion. Take their advice. I know I would. That is the wonderful thing about being 42. You have NO problems learning from other peoples mistakes.
I have two springs. I'm gonna cut one and install it. If the ride is truly that hard, I'll replace it with the other. Is that really that bad of an idea?

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts

Hmmm, that's a good idea.. I have a spring for sale if anybody would like to PM me about it and give it a go at doing it yourself, we'll talk about funding when you PM me :D

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After thinking a lot about it at work, I'm going to mill MAYBE an eight of an inch off of both sides of the spring. That way it will still seat correctly on the shock.

And again, if it doesn't turn out the way I want, I'll simply swap out the springs.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
After thinking a lot about it at work, I'm going to mill MAYBE an eight of an inch off of both sides of the spring. That way it will still seat correctly on the shock.

And again, if it doesn't turn out the way I want, I'll simply swap out the springs.
Way to be innovative.. Got nothing to lose and something to gain..
The ride will tell you of the success...:)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts