Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work nights and will often go for a late night ride. In these parts that can be dangerous. The local deer population are out and about doing what comes naturally. So I ride cautiously. I've come across plenty of deer on the road.

So I'm out riding late and come across a doe crossing the highway in front of me. I slow down because where there's one there is likely more. As I'm slowing down a horny buck enters the roadway in pursuit of the doe. He entered my lane and stopped. I've never seen a deer back-up so I tried to sneak behind him but unfortunately there wasn't enough roadway to make it. I hit the gravel shoulder and down I went.

It could have been worse. I also bent the forward controls on that side as well.

·
Registered
12,470 Posts
I hate those worthless creatures. They don't really taste that good. I wish they'd have an open season on them here. We're lousy with what a friend of mine calls them, "timber goats".

·
Registered
394 Posts
That is not that bad of damage. I have seen bikes get more damage than that by falling over, not even moving. That said....that sucks, but that is why you have insurance!

·
Registered
12,470 Posts
them suckers taste good if you know how to cook them.
I didn't say I wouldn't eat a white tail, but I'd rather have beef steak, or elk. Elk meet blows those deer outta' the water. Unfortunately, I've only eaten it once, but will never forget it.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Sorry about your bike. Glad you are okay. The deer pop. is bad here, too. I live in a rural area and am on high alert for them. My DH hit one on the way to work about a month ago.............BE careful out there.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Be glad you missed the deer. Hitting them can cause serious injury or worse.
Thats one thing I worry about when riding at night, sometimes you just can't see them soon enough. Im glad things wern't worse for you, and you are ok. The bike can be repaired.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, didn't come out to bad, a purple hip and bruised ribs. (right side of course) I was fully leathered (chaps included) and had a full face on.

BTW, as long as I need a new tank I think I'm going to have this one repaired and customized. Maybe another gallon?

·
Registered
12,470 Posts
Thanks, didn't come out to bad, a purple hip and bruised ribs. (right side of course) I was fully leathered (chaps included) and had a full face on.

BTW, as long as I need a new tank I think I'm going to have this one repaired and customized. Maybe another gallon?
Now that's what I'm talking about. I said before in another thread that you should be able to add another gallon to the tank and still keep the relative shape and nice lines that the smaller one has now. I hate having to stop every 100 miles to refuel. Let us know if you do that and how it turns out.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Saltydog;

It's obvious to me that you picked the wrong place to ride. Up where I live, all the deer are much better trained; see the following:

http://www.joe-ks.com/MultiMedia/DeerBikeJump.wmv

Seeing the pictures of your beautiful new toy all scuffed and skinned-up is almost enough to make a grown man cry. The good news is that you're OK, and your posting should serve as a poignant heads-up for the rest of us who live in deer country. Bad things CAN happen to good people.

Cheers

·
Registered
253 Posts
Does the insurance cover all of the custom paint and extras? I sure hope so. I really liked the paint on your bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts