Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Fury is new. Only about 300 miles on it and I'm having problems shifting gears. More on the down shift but a little on up shifts. My bike doesn't want to down shift beyond 3rd gear and many times to shift into 1st I have to clutch it 2 or 3 times. Shifting to 1st at a stop "clunks" more than I think it should. The clutch lever seems adjusted OK. Down shifting shouldn't take 3 or 4 tries per gear. I'm not being too easy with the foot either. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks spawn ... I did read the faq about swaping the levers. Thought that pertained to the popping out of 5th gear issue.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My Fury is new. Only about 300 miles on it and I'm having problems shifting gears. More on the down shift but a little on up shifts. My bike doesn't want to down shift beyond 3rd gear and many times to shift into 1st I have to clutch it 2 or 3 times. Shifting to 1st at a stop "clunks" more than I think it should. The clutch lever seems adjusted OK. Down shifting shouldn't take 3 or 4 tries per gear. I'm not being too easy with the foot either. Any ideas?
Clutch might be dragging... dealer should check it out. How fast are you going when you shift up or shift down? If you're going super slow when you shift up, it isn't going to shift as clean as when there are more revs when you shift. If you're going real slow or not moving when you shift down, its not going to shift, you've got to shift down while you're slowing down. First from neutral is going to clunk. When you're coming to a stop, sometimes you can go from 2nd to neutral as you stop, depending on how you're riding. If you're in neutral at a light, you'll get a clunk as you drop into first, and probably smaller clunks in 2nd and 3rd if you're going slow. Also, downshifting will be smoother if you match the revs with the speed when you shift. If you upshift at a little higher rpms, the shifting will be smoother. If you just putt around, bordering on lugging the engine, normal shifting will be rough and noisy..... (from my opinion and experience)

But get a dealer to check for normal operation to make sure you're not trying to live with something mis-adjusted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It might be me. It's been a couple years since I had a street bike and I know there has been other stuff to relearn. I'll get the dealer to check it at the first service. Shouldn't be but a few more days if it quits raining here.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Thanks spawn ... I did read the faq about swaping the levers. Thought that pertained to the popping out of 5th gear issue.
There's a couple more in there as well, but the 5th gear issue has to do with all gears, it just seemed to happen to people more with 4th and 5th gear. I'll change the FAQ to represent that, thanks for the enlightenment and go get it fixed at the dealers :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
It might be me. It's been a couple years since I had a street bike and I know there has been other stuff to relearn. I'll get the dealer to check it at the first service. Shouldn't be but a few more days if it quits raining here.
Do it now, don't wait til first service. These bikes run so beautifully that you shouldn't have to put up with something not being right.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Do it now, don't wait til first service. These bikes run so beautifully that you shouldn't have to put up with something not being right.
I agree you should get to a dealer ASAP. Other than the light clunk into first, mine shifts like butter. Much smoother than my Shadow 1100. Some bikes just need a little more de-bugging than others. But you don't want to take a chance on something that may cause damage if left unchecked.

·
Premium Member
13,704 Posts
sometimes if you dont keep rpm up it will shift sluggy.if this dosent help go to the dealer.

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
If you're going real slow or not moving when you shift down, its not going to shift, you've got to shift down while you're slowing down. Also, downshifting will be smoother if you match the revs with the speed when you shift.
This is exactly what I was going to bring up. It sounds like this is what is happening.

I sometimes still catch myself forgetting to downshift until I'm going way too slow. If the bike is in 5th gear and you're about to come to a stop, the downshifting is going to be very difficult. When I forget to downshift until it's too late, I have to let the clutch out a little while I'm trying to shift down. Real pain in the ass.

I've experienced this on every bike I've ever owned.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
This is exactly what I was going to bring up. It sounds like this is what is happening.

I sometimes still catch myself forgetting to downshift until I'm going way too slow. If the bike is in 5th gear and you're about to come to a stop, the downshifting is going to be very difficult. When I forget to downshift until it's too late, I have to let the clutch out a little while I'm trying to shift down. Real pain in the ass.

I've experienced this on every bike I've ever owned.
The pain in the ass?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Sometimes I have a hard time shifting from Neutral to first when at a light. I learned that when it doesnt go into gear just let the clutch out and do it again. That always works. Sounds like you have a bigger problem and you should have it looked at. Sometimes I dont even feel it go into first like my harleys did. With them you feel and hear the gears from neutral. Not with my bike though.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Yeah, definitely hit up the dealer to check that out. There should be no weirdness like you're experiencing. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The Clunk Into First Gear Is A Designed In Feature From Honda... They And I Think It Is Something That Choppers Are Supposed To Do. :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts