Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if this was the right place for it - but it's not permanent and hopefully will give someone an idea of how to do this on their own.

Okay, here's the shots of the phone mount I made for the droid. I took one of these: Amazon.com: Motorola Car Mount Phone Holder for Droid: Cell Phones & Accessories

-pushed/Pulled the pin at the base that holds the lever, spring and suction cup to the base.

Once I had the base off I disassembled the pieces then sanded and filed down the base since it was dished to have two concave sections in line where the handlebar would be sitting. Test for fit.

Drill/dremel two slots into the base to pass a long piece of heavy duty velcro through. Make sure the velcro is way longer than you think you'll need so you can play with it to get the right fit and then cut to length leaving enough for two wraps around.

Pass it through and check fit again.

I then heated up my shapelock plastic SHAPELOCKand roughly shaped it to where I wanted it. Press onto the base over the top of the velcro. That locks in the velcro. I reheated and then ran out to the garage and smushed down onto the handlebar and made sure it was pressed up against the clutch lever. I went with it right next to the clutch lever for rotation prevention and also I'm able to wrap one of the velcro runs around the clutch cable mount to keep it from sliding sideways.

Let that harden back up while smoothing out the edges and making sure it's not wrapping around the handlebar. Once it hardened you would have to cut through it if it did. One thing I forgot about was that it bonds to plastic/rubber - that's why it sticks so well to the velcro. It actually started adhering to the switch cover insulation sleeve. Make sure you pull off the assembly before that happens or try a little grease on top of that.

Once it all cools - check fit again and build up some more with shapelock if you need to do so.

Reassemble and make sure the angle and everything is the way you want it on the handlebars.

I assembled the thing and wrapped the velcro over the piece the way it is on the bike without the handlebars so you can get a better idea.

Test at speed before using your phone on the mount for the first time.

Paint the shapelock base addition with any good quality acrylic hobby paint.

Check occasionally while riding and if it starts to move a lot make sure you pull over immediately.

80 MPH is not a problem nor does road vibration seem to be either. I did have to flip the arm backwards to get a proper viewing angle though. Just flip the nut and screw locations to do that. Don't forget about the phone if it starts to rain either. I'm sure you all can handle figuring out the charger/DC jack bits on your own. Post any improvements or your examples as you create them.

Photos on bike:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Added pics on the bike with the base mount painted - below in original posting

1 - 6 of 6 Posts