Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
I don't think it's all that hard if you have the interface and software to do a reflash. One of our members from South Australia knew a guy who reflashed his ECU back in 2011. He would not tell me who it was as the guy who did the reflash wanted it kept quiet.

Registered
2010 Sabre of Fury
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes this seems to be "Skunkworks" kind of work. I contacted a guy who dyno tuned an old members Fury, Cookster. He said he didn't have the equipment for our bikes. I sent pics of his bike on there dyno and the dyno sheet then was informed they used a Power commander to tune it. I'm waiting to hear if there is fan temp adjustments, idle,or way to raise rpm in selected gears.

Registered
Yes this seems to be "Skunkworks" kind of work. I contacted a guy who dyno tuned an old members Fury, Cookster. He said he didn't have the equipment for our bikes. I sent pics of his bike on there dyno and the dyno sheet then was informed they used a Power commander to tune it. I'm waiting to hear if there is fan temp adjustments, idle,or way to raise rpm in selected gears.
Power Commanders have NO fan temperature adjustment or true idle control... guys have attempted to lower the idle by cutting fuel in the idle tables but the ECU commands the IAC valve and just readjusts to compensate for it.

Registered
Power Commanders have NO fan temperature adjustment or true idle control... guys have attempted to lower the idle by cutting fuel in the idle tables but the ECU commands the IAC valve and just readjusts to compensate for it.
Thanks for the heads up

Super Moderator
Confirmed. The Dynojet Power Commander 5 is nice for what it does, but it is a piggyback controller, so changing the idle speed by cutting the duration of the fuel squirt alone is risky as the Engine Control Module is going to see the RPM decrease and try to push it back up. (I haven't tried to cut RPM via the PC5 because I don't want to risk creating a lean condition and melt the rings given @Kbuskill sent me his ECM after mapping it for my bike.)

Changing the fan setup outside the ECM is via a potentiometer-based fan controller, fan kit, Arduino add-on board, or a custom controller circuit. The $20-30 Chinese controllers are not reliable, you might want to stick with something like one of these:
(I'll suggest controllers should almost always be put in a waterproof/dustproof "relatively cool" enclosure, meaning space requirements can be a huge concern, which means Fury owners might need to mount these in a metal enclosure tied to frame brackets on the underside of the bike near the oil filter to keep them cool IF a compressor isn't already occupying that space.)

--
Trailer Park Rules
Children must be supervised at all times (keeping them on a leash or dog run is not considered "supervision").

Registered
2010 Sabre of Fury
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone know the maker of the software Don Guhl used?

Registered
2010 Sabre of Fury
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well so much for that !!
Re: Web Contact Form Guhl Motors

Inbox

Don Guhl <[email protected]>
10:48 PM (6 minutes ago)
to powgenman
We use and have developed our own proprietary software and hardware for programming ecus.
Thanks,
Don Guhl

Get Outlook for Android

Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021, 9:33 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Web Contact Form Guhl Motors

Registered
Well so much for that !!
Re: Web Contact Form Guhl Motors

Inbox

Don Guhl <[email protected]>
10:48 PM (6 minutes ago)
to powgenman
We use and have developed our own proprietary software and hardware for programming ecus.
Thanks,
Don Guhl

Get Outlook for Android

Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021, 9:33 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Web Contact Form Guhl Motors
I don't really believe that.

If I were to speculate, I'd say the interface is a modified on board diagnostics interface. The software is probably a modified version of some sort of dyno tuner software that comes from a dyno manufacturer. Writing software from scratch is a long and time consuming process and one I doubt anyone without a background in programing would take on. If you hired a developer to do a custom application for you it will cost way more than any small or medium business could pay.

Registered
2010 Sabre of Fury
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not giving up yet馃
I'm researching the software and who may have or use it. It does exist. More on this as soon as I can make a factual statement with names and contacts. 馃槑

Super Moderator
Where I work we have standard software and controllers (unrelated to ECUs) that we "tweaked" a bit over time, and after hundreds of "tweaks" we have:
  1. Highly customized stuff.
  2. A mess.
I'd guess Don probably has a highly-skilled guy in-house that "tweaks" the software with him, and has worked with vendors for years on hardware/software modifications.

--
Tails of my Trailer Park Lows
Cops doing paperwork "after the event" with their blinky lights still on is just gloating.

Registered
Well another dead-end. 馃槙
View attachment 240646
At the risk of sounding obvious, it may well work with our ECUs even though they have to tried it. Do they have a similar Honda with the same engine? I'm thinking about the Saber, Interstate & Stateline. Also auto makers tend to reuse their parts, so It's possible the same ECU is used in a number of twin cylinder bikes Honda make or have made. If we can find out which ones we may be on to something.

Registered
2010 Sabre of Fury
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've researched this and found that there are 2 different ECU s used in the VT1300 series.
There is the 49 state legal 38770-mfr-673
And the 50 state legal 38770-mfr-773.
They appear to be VT1300 only.

Reactions: Gizmo

Super Moderator
At the risk of sounding obvious, it may well work with our ECUs even though they have to tried it. Do they have a similar Honda with the same engine? I'm thinking about the Saber, Interstate & Stateline. Also auto makers tend to reuse their parts, so It's possible the same ECU is used in a number of twin cylinder bikes Honda make or have made. If we can find out which ones we may be on to something.
As a note, tuning by the seat of your pants is, well, crap. You need a dyno, which is some way to actually measure what you did other than:
a.) gritting your teeth and squishing your face into a contortion closely replicating a 100 year old tortoise and taking your best guess, or
b.) blowing up your engine, which is definitive proof you made things worse than you made them previously. 馃榾
You can read this article to get some insight into my meaning.

There is hope, something called OpenFlash Tablet. Will this alone solve your problems? No. You still need access to rewrite the fuel tables (maps) inside the ECU, and that's a feature locked by the manufacturer. In fact, reading the tables is locked too (apparently Honda doesn't want the Chinese to copy them like they copied most of their carbureted motors so they could make cheap knock-offs, go figure).

So what do you do? I don't know, although one solution is to pay me a lot of money for little-to-no-results, saving you the time and effort of failing on your own. This way you can have the satisfaction of trying and failing with only a minimal amount of effort expended, thereby giving you more time to fail at other things. 馃榾
(Well, that and not actually ruining your motorcycle.)

The Car Hacker's Handbook

Registered
2010 Sabre of Fury
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very tru Hedge. I won't be the one doing the tuning. There a a few Motorcycle tuning shops here in central Florida. Seems they do Harleys or crotch rockets. But have alot of experience in "the Art" of tuning. If I can find someone to take it on. I might even buy the software. If I can have my bike tuned at least close to the Guhl tune they would have a copy to use for others.

Registered
2010 Sabre of Fury
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Kinda had hopes for this guy.馃槓
Unfortunately, we do not offer ECU Reflashing for this model.
[mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 10:24 PM
To: .com
Subject: Reflash of Honda VT1300

I am looking to have a reflash done. I would need Idle speed adjustment Cooling on/off temps changed, gear selected rpm limits removed top end rpm increased and fuel / ignition mapping for power & torque. Motorsports used to offer this service by mail to a lot of guys in the Fury Forums. He has now discontinued remapping. I was hoping that you could offer this service for a fair & honest price.
Please respond,. Thank you for your time & expertise
Powgenman

Reactions: Gizmo
1 - 20 of 38 Posts