Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We wanted to get some stopping power and happened to have two rear calipers. So. Why not?

·
Super Moderator
3,407 Posts
I notice the banjo bolt is sitting idle....

Why not put two calipers out back:
  1. Requires dual hoses and a Y connection on a bike meant to be minimalistic.
  2. More parts to clean, more to chrome...
  3. Doubles the pedal travel distance, which in itself isn't a bad thing, but the front brake leaver travel is now nowhere in relation, so it's an ergonomic issue.
  4. Loss of feel. The rear brake isn't exactly "tight" like on a race bike (understandably), however this exacerbates the issue.
  5. The rear brake with one caliper is way more sensitive than the front brake, so the disproportion becomes greater. Since it's fairly easy to lock up the rear in an emergency braking situation, why add more ability to lock up the rear???
In a panic grab the front brakes can be locked, so there's thought behind how much pressure the leaver requires for braking; still, it would be nice to have a better feeling braking system with lighter front actuation.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well. I'm not a chrome guy. I'm also not a bolt on guy. Or a follow the crowd guy. Isn't that the reason to get a Fury over an 883?

1. That's obvious and cheap.
2. Mine is, a daily driver. I don't need chrome.
3. I'm not running a front brake.
4. Dual caliper increases piston strength. A 34mm rear caliper piston is pretty common even on sport bikes. So. It's an unfair comparison at any level to compare our anemic cruiser to well, anything. lol.
5. Again. An unfair comparison. Seeing as this is a part I created for MY bike. I'm aware of the lockup. Which. Is why I cruise and not ride bumpers. I wanted, a cleaner looking handlebar and 26" front wheel. I feel, like you're projecting or generalizing a certain kind of Fury rider. Rather than, celebrate an accomplishment. Keep buying overpriced dealer stuff so they, can, ride Harleys after work. ???

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well. I'm not a chrome guy. I'm also not a bolt on guy. Or a follow the crowd guy. Isn't that the reason to get a Fury over an 883?

1. That's obvious and cheap.
2. Mine is, a daily driver. I don't need chrome.
3. I'm not running a front brake.
4. Dual caliper increases piston strength. A 34mm rear caliper piston is pretty common even on sport bikes. So. It's an unfair comparison at any level to compare our anemic cruiser to well, anything. lol.
5. Again. An unfair comparison. Seeing as this is a part I created for MY bike. I'm aware of the lockup. Which. Is why I cruise and not ride bumpers. I wanted, a cleaner looking handlebar and 26" front wheel. I feel, like you're projecting or generalizing a certain kind of Fury rider. Rather than, celebrate an accomplishment. Keep buying overpriced dealer stuff so they, can, ride Harleys after work. ???
Not my thing but as a fellow fabricator, I totally appreciate the work done. You should put a second caliper on the front too just to say you can and did! Lol! Good job

Btw... nice air seat I see peeking out there

Reactions: Oddie

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
@Oddie

I wouldn't use a Y- connection/hose...

I would get a double banjo bolt and stack the lines on the forward most rear caliper and just run a short hose between the two calipers.

Like this...

rps20190809_193901_553.jpg
rps20190809_193928_590.jpg

Much cleaner that way IMO.

Good job on being different... that's what it's all about.

As an FYI... you might check into the "foot brake" master cylinder from an ABS Fury as the piston inside them is a larger diameter (by about 33% if my memory serves me) which would handle 2 calipers better.

The ABS bikes run a dual piston rear caliper and a 3 piston front caliper and the "rear" (foot) master cylinder operates the dual piston rear caliper as well as the center piston of the front caliper on those ABS bikes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Oddie

I wouldn't use a Y- connection/hose...

I would get a double banjo bolt and stack the lines on the forward most rear caliper and just run a short hose between the two calipers.

Like this...

View attachment 235045 View attachment 235046

Much cleaner that way IMO.

Good job on being different... that's what it's all about.

As an FYI... you might check into the "foot brake" master cylinder from an ABS Fury as the piston inside them is a larger diameter (by about 33% if my memory serves me) which would handle 2 calipers better.

The ABS bikes run a dual piston rear caliper and a 3 piston front caliper and the "rear" (foot) master cylinder operates the dual piston rear caliper as well as the center piston of the front caliper on those ABS bikes.
We did the double banjo.

I'm using a 2007 FLHR foot brake to clean up all that mess by the radiator. Oh. We also shimmed a Hayabusa fan over the stock one. Arizona, is hot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not my thing but as a fellow fabricator, I totally appreciate the work done. You should put a second caliper on the front too just to say you can and did! Lol! Good job

Btw... nice air seat I see peeking out there
Ha. Thanks. We considered it but, I wanted to do an older style.

Thanks. The air ride is off a 70's Harley setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts