Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I don't have those tires but are you sure you just didn't run over something that could have put that cut in the tire as that looks like a cut not dry rot?

Reactions: BakoFury

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't have those tires but are you sure you just didn't run over something that could have put that cut in the tire as that looks like a cut not dry rot?
Both tires look to have a cut on both sides of the tread also. So a single cut, IMHO, would require the tire to be pretty much flat to cause such.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Yeah something definitely not right as I zoomed in on the pictures and can see more detail. Weird thing is that I have the same tires from the factory and mine are from 2010 and not had any issues with them, I definitely would get them changed out before riding.

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
How long have you had that one tire? It looks old. I would replace it. I personally am running Metzlers, have had great luck with them, love the tire. Someone on here that hadn't ridden them tried to post a punch of cut and paste bullshit from from the internet about how bad they were, but I love them.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I wonder if this happens if the tyre gets frozen, some of you live in places where it snows. Hedgehog might be a good person to ask as I recall he rode his bike in all sorts of low temperatures. Clueless may have seen more than one of these come through his shop so you might want to ask him as well.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Yeah, freezing won't do that, same with mine. It looks old. In the tread grooves you can see more small cracks. Most manufacturers recommend replacement after 5 years, regardless of tread. Tires actually age slower at lower temps, as the oxidation that ages them slows down at lower temps.

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just because one buys a "new" tire, it may NOT actually be a new tire. "All Dunlop tires also specify the date of manufacture on the sidewall. It is important to pay attention to these dates as tires can become unsafe if they are stored too long or in poor storage conditions. On the side wall next to the U.S. DOT tire identification number you will find a 4-digit number. The first 2 digits indicate the week of its manufacture and the last two are for the year. In our example the 0916 translates to the 9th week in the year 2016."

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
It's not just Dunlop. They all have it. A tire made a year ago is considered fresh. Think of the supply chain that it takes to manufacture a vehicle in another country, ship it to you, be at your dealer, get your attention, and get purchased. Same thing applies to batteries.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Arid conditions cause gaskets, seals, and bushings to need more frequent replacing, too. Have a friend who moved from Gainesville, FL to Henderson, NV and her Jeep starting dripping fluids like crazy within the first year there.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Well if it's not a temperature, under inflation or manufacturing fault I can't help but wonder if you pissed someone off. An ex wife or girlfriend would be on the top of a suspect list.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It looks cut from afar, but up close it is jagged. I would expect a cleaner edge if it was vandalism/revenge/mischief.

Some of it does look like dry rot cracks. That is pretty wild for a manuf. flaw.

What is the manuf date?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies....appreciate it. The first picture is of the front tire that was on my 2012 Fury when I purchased the bike. The bike had 20,000 miles on it so I kinda thought the tire was probably the original tire which also explains the dry rot going on. The second picture is of the new tire that I just purchased and had installed in June 2020. It's really strange that both the old & new tires would develop a split in the same place.
I am still trying to find the manufacture date....not having too much luck finding it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I remember several years ago, Firestone had undergone some cooperate changes and tire quality suffered tremendous losses due to quality. Dunlop could have done the same thing, cut overhead cost and quality suffers. I know a lot of riders that swore by Dunlop 10 years ago, now they run a different tire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the replies....appreciate it. The first picture is of the front tire that was on my 2012 Fury when I purchased the bike. The bike had 20,000 miles on it so I kinda thought the tire was probably the original tire which also explains the dry rot going on. The second picture is of the new tire that I just purchased and had installed in June 2020. It's really strange that both the old & new tires would develop a split in the same place.
I am still trying to find the manufacture date....not having too much luck finding it.
Finally found the manufacture date on the new tire: 0517

·
Registered
98 Posts
Finally found the manufacture date on the new tire: 0517
Usually 3 years is the cut-off date, based on research I did when I was looking at car tires. Last time I bought a set (but 3 get 1 free) 3 tires were dated the same, the fourth was dated 5 years PRIOR! (Took the 'questionable' tire back and got a fourth 'date matching' tire) SO BE CAREFUL!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts