Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Dyno comparision done on my Fury with and without the baffles in. I have a HypoCharger with the L&M adapter, PCV controller, Cobra pipes. The blue curve is without baffles done last night and the red curve is with baffles. No other changes were made. It looks like I lost about 4 hp upto 3500 rpm then the curves cross. Let me know what you think.

scan0001.jpg

·
Registered
710 Posts
Thanks for posting. I have run my Cobras with no baffles from the first day I bought them. Now I don't have to wonder any more if they make a huge difference. Obviously, they don't.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Great info, MyFury, and very informative. I find it particularly interesting how flat your red AFR curve is; right in the sweet-spot, all the way up. Thanks for posting the data.

Cheers

·
Registered
108 Posts
Great info, MyFury, and very informative. I find it particularly interesting how flat your red AFR curve is; right in the sweet-spot, all the way up. Thanks for posting the data.

Cheers
When they did my PCv, they ran each cylinder afr separately. I had a too rich dip in afr at low rpm like your blue curve before it was adjusted, but only on the rear cylinder. Do you know if the probe was in the same pipe for both runs?

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's what I thought... I took my baffles out and it seamed to hurt the bottom end and help the top... I think cobras have more bottom end grunt with the baffles in...

If you mapped the pipes without baffles the top end would be better but maybe a few hp at most.... But you hit the rev limiter too soon......

Thanks for the post.....

·
Registered
108 Posts
The HP always falls off short of the rev limiter. Maybe it needs a bigger manifold and/or blower to feed it and help it breathe.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
The HP always falls off short of the rev limiter. Maybe it needs a bigger manifold and/or blower to feed it and help it breathe.
No, just needs more aggressive cam timing, but you can't do that until you figure-out how to rework the ignition timing-advance curve and the fuel-injector timing; i.e., it's all connected. That's why, with all of our sophisticated electronics, it's such a hard nut to crack. FWIW..............

Cheers

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
When they did my PCv, they ran each cylinder afr separately. I had a too rich dip in afr at low rpm like your blue curve before it was adjusted, but only on the rear cylinder.
The reason for that is, I'll submit, that the factory knew that, like all in-line twins, the rear cylinder would run a little hotter than the front, since it lives in the hot-air blow-back from the front cylinder. A fuel-rich cylinder runs cooler than a lean one. Run the rear cylinder at the same AFR ratio as the front and you run the risk of seizure. Harley's have had to deal with this asymmetry for many years; you either over-bore the rear cylinder, or you run the carb main-jets over-rich (with respect to the front cylinder's optimal needs) to compensate for the thermal over-expansion of the rear piston. Does all this make sense???

Cheers

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thunder Monster baffles

Has anyone tried the Thunder Monster baffles part number 2001? looks like this may be the way to go?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I don't have access to a dyno, but I could feel less low end power when I took the baffles out of my RAW Reapers. I put them back in but opend them up a little to reduce the whoosing noise they make. With the baffles in there is more snap and pulls evenly through the gear. Without the baffles the bike doesn't pull as hard at low rpm but comes on strong later.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Lousy video! IMO.

Cheers
Odd?
Out of the 50 or 60 exhaust vids i have watched that is one of the best.
No wind in th mic, clear. Very easy to here the difference with the new baffles in then with the stock. Much louder and deeper IMO.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not sure if he used the same pipe for both runs or not. I think I am going to try the thunder baffles and dyno the bike again to see if the low end improves. I will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm not sure if he used the same pipe for both runs or not. I think I am going to try the thunder baffles and dyno the bike again to see if the low end improves. I will keep you all posted.
I feel like you will notice the difference with those baffles. Those Big City Thunders are just what they claim. The sound is awesome and that video just not do them justice. Well worth the investment. Will probably end up being the best,cheapest one you've made to your bike.

·
Registered
182 Posts
hey guys if you had your bike tuned with baffles then remove them your going to see some power loss in the bottom end. as there is no power pulse wave.

now if you tuned your bike with out baffles then put them in. you will loose some bottom end also as your A/F ratio will be to fat. meaning to rich. having the bike tuned with out the baffles correctly there ill be little to no loss in bottom end power. and a nice smooth gain in the topend. also to note, its not all about peak power. its about having usable power. having a higher peak out put in your cruising range is what i look for. as this type of power increase means less down shifting to pull steep hills and when you throttle down into a turn and just power out of it with out having to down shift. also having a good strong power curve in your cruising rpm range. means better MPG's also. thats how im getting over 50 mpg's on my bike. and most bikes over larger cc cant keep up to me.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I installed the big city thunder baffles, p/n2001 in my Cobra swept pipes last night while I was changing out the rear rims. They went in real easy. I used the original mounting hole for the cobra baffle but I'm not sure if the new baffle is far enough in the pipe. The directions say 5 to 6 inches and its about 4 1/2. I ran the bike and yes they are loud. I will take it for a ride today and see if I notice and performance difference compaired to no baffle and if I can, I will get it dyno'ed again and compare it to standard baffle and no baffle. Keep you posted.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts