Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received the Autotune and looks like a pain in the ass to install and since it will only look a one cylinder, it won't be very accurate. I am thinking about sending it back and just having the bike dyno'ed instead after the new air intake is installed. The Cobra pipes are already installed. You guys have any input? Is it worth installing?

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I allready have the DynoJet PC-V installed. Would this function with the fi2000 or do I replace it?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I just received the Autotune and looks like a pain in the ass to install and since it will only look a one cylinder, it won't be very accurate. I am thinking about sending it back and just having the bike dyno'ed instead after the new air intake is installed. The Cobra pipes are already installed. You guys have any input? Is it worth installing?
I took my Fury in to be dyno'd as the shop that did it placed my Cobras, PC V, and Spike Air Intake on to create the map for my upgrades. To me, it just made more sense to do everything professionally and get the bike dyno'd with new mods rather than installing an autotune and hoping for the best. If it's a money issue I understand but if it's not, I just can't figure out why people go through all this trouble when they can avoid it. Just my opinion.

Larry
New York

·
Premium Member
13,739 Posts
I took my Fury in to be dyno'd as the shop that did it placed my Cobras, PC V, and Spike Air Intake on to create the map for my upgrades. To me, it just made more sense to do everything professionally and get the bike dyno'd with new mods rather than installing an autotune and hoping for the best. If it's a money issue I understand but if it's not, I just can't figure out why people go through all this trouble when they can avoid it. Just my opinion.

Larry
New York
i agree with larry .if you have gone that far,why not do it right and get it right.keep the rubber on the ground.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love this forum but I am starting to second guess some the supposed expert opinions being posted.

I am not an expert on the fuel injection system but I can read schematics and manuals. I also worked on jet engines for 26 years. If anything I say is incorrect please reply with facts and where I can find it.

According to the service manual and schematics the cylinders are not sensored separately. A single sensor for each parameter is sent to the ECM and both cylinders are sent fuel according to the data. They are not individually programmed.

I read the Fi2000R installation guide and was amazed that you make adjustments based on feel. It states in the instructions "make one position increases until you feel the best performance in this range. Do this test a few times to make sure you have it right." Wow, making adjustments until it feels right doesn't sound very precise. The Fi2000R is also a single adjustment for both cylinders.

The PCV requires one of three options for set up. The PCV is also a single adjustment for both cylinders.

1. Download a map based on your modifications. Not many available at this time.

2. Go to a Dynojet Approved Power Commander Tuning Centers and have it dyno'ed. This would have to be done every time you make modifications.

3. Install AutoTune kit. Adjusts fuel to maintain target AFR based upon installed map. A single O2 sensor is installed in either exhaust and sends data to PCV. The advantage of the AutoTune kit is that it adjusts fuel flow changes due to outside temperatures and future modifications.

None of the fuel management options available at this time allow for individual programming of each cylinder.

Each bike performs a little differently even if set up with the identical modifications, so with any fuel management system a base set up will only get you close to ideal. Only by putting your bike on a dyno will you obtain the optimum results.

I have the AutoTune installed and it is working great.

Quit bashing what you don't understand and post useful facts!

Like I said earlier if I am incorrect in what I just said please let me know.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Glad to hear good things about the AutoTune feature.I just purchased it myself and when we get some decent weather here im gonna get my mechanic to install it and get it hooked up.PC now has a map for my set up which is the Cobra pipes baffles in with stock air intake so its great to hear somebody is happy with the autotune combined with the PCV.Happy holidays!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I love this forum but I am starting to second guess some the supposed expert opinions being posted.

I am not an expert on the fuel injection system but I can read schematics and manuals. I also worked on jet engines for 26 years. If anything I say is incorrect please reply with facts and where I can find it.

According to the service manual and schematics the cylinders are not sensored separately. A single sensor for each parameter is sent to the ECM and both cylinders are sent fuel according to the data. They are not individually programmed.

I read the Fi2000R installation guide and was amazed that you make adjustments based on feel. It states in the instructions "make one position increases until you feel the best performance in this range. Do this test a few times to make sure you have it right." Wow, making adjustments until it feels right doesn't sound very precise. The Fi2000R is also a single adjustment for both cylinders.

The PCV requires one of three options for set up. The PCV is also a single adjustment for both cylinders.

1. Download a map based on your modifications. Not many available at this time.

2. Go to a Dynojet Approved Power Commander Tuning Centers and have it dyno'ed. This would have to be done every time you make modifications.

3. Install AutoTune kit. Adjusts fuel to maintain target AFR based upon installed map. A single O2 sensor is installed in either exhaust and sends data to PCV. The advantage of the AutoTune kit is that it adjusts fuel flow changes due to outside temperatures and future modifications.

None of the fuel management options available at this time allow for individual programming of each cylinder.

Each bike performs a little differently even if set up with the identical modifications, so with any fuel management system a base set up will only get you close to ideal. Only by putting your bike on a dyno will you obtain the optimum results.

I have the AutoTune installed and it is working great.

Quit bashing what you don't understand and post useful facts!

Like I said earlier if I am incorrect in what I just said please let me know.

Well said.

·
Premium Member
13,739 Posts
:DSo it would appear but the exhaust and ignition timing are different (Service Manual).

At this time although not so for the Harley. Dynojet has indicated development of a two sensor input for "other" V-Twins (Telephone).
I would have said oxygen content in the exhaust. (I expect that you will agree without a reference?)

Agreed. See 2nd above.

Could use twin O2 sensors and an AFR meter for monitoring actual riding conditions.

Please elaborate. This would be very helpful to others. Where is your O2 installed? What exhaust and intake are you running?

I don't see any bashing on this thread :confused:. Just good folks looking to improve their ride.
dont remember bashing anybody.anyhow i have another place i can go.thanks

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
dont remember bashing anybody.anyhow i have another place i can go.thanks
Ah, come on 460brevill, don't pick up your marbles and go home! I'm serious.

Cheers, and Merry Xmas!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry to offend anyone. Not really, it usually fires up the conversation.

I started this thread a while ago about PCV with AutoTune. So I did let everyone know of my experience with AutoTune.

I understand that there is a difference between the valve and ignition timing of the cylinders but there are no sensors that differentiate between them. Thus it can not program each cylinder separately. It sends the same amount of fuel to each cylinder but at different times according to the data received from the sensors.

It does adjust the "oxygen content in the exhaust" by adjusting fuel flow. Outside temperature affects the "oxygen content in the exhaust." If you dyno your bike in the summer it will run lean in the winter when the air is more dense. With AutoTune it adjusts for these changes. This is important to me because I ride year round.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just FYI -
PCIII and PCV do allow for separate mapping of each cylinder if desired. In our testing we always look at both cylinders and if there is a large discrepancy between the two we will map each one independently. On most Metric cruisers this is NOT the case and you can have 1 fuel table for both cylinders. Harleys, Ducati's, Aprilia, Guzzi are a totally different story.

Right now the Auto tune kit for Metric cruisers only has 1 sensor so you can only monitor one cylinder at a time which as stated above is not really an issue. We should have the AT-300 available late January. This will allow any bike to monitor 2 cylinders and map simultaneously.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Autotune installed?

Some of you guys have the autotuned installed already; would you mind posting where you had the sensor installed, and also which map did you use? I mean, did you use a stock map that came with the autotune, or one of the cobra/baffled/unbaffled maps for the PC5 from S&S, or what? If I have the S&S map for speedster swept/s&s intake installed now in the PC5, does that serve as the base map for autotune also?

Had the autotune sittin' around in the box for awhile, thinkin' might just as well put it on but not sure the best approach.

Any info appreciated ...

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The front O2 sesor should be 4-6 inches from front head , easeist to run wire up and under head covers to connect to PCV . I beleive you have the PCV . With your laptop and PCV software , all you do is enable auto tune , thats it .

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
The front O2 sesor should be 4-6 inches from front head , easeist to run wire up and under head covers to connect to PCV . I beleive you have the PCV . With your laptop and PCV software , all you do is enable auto tune , thats it .
To avoid problems with reversion, the sensor needs to be located no more then 3 inches from the face of the exhaust port. Goes to accuracy. FWIW.

Cheers

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well, the AT instructions says that for 2 into 2 exhaust the sensor should be placed "approximately 6 inches from the exhaust port on the respective cylinder you wish to tune." meh ... I'm taking this to mean about 6" on the front cylinder from exhaust port, wherever you can put it to look best in terms of running wire to PC5 and not having the sensor sticking out more obviously than necessary. But a lotta times what I take something to mean and what it actually means vary widely; hence the post here.

On the map question, instructions say to use the map which most closely conforms to the actual intake configuration, which would mean using the S&S dyno'ed map for S&S air intake/Cobra swepts (baffled atm but will be unbaffled if I keep the pipes.) If I switch pipes I'm *assuming* I'd want to simply download the S&S stock fury map and use it for target AFR, since there might not be a dyno'ed map for that configuration floating around out there.

Dunno, kinda starting to wish for my old carburated bikes back ...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm buying some cobra of viper pipes along with a power commander and a new air filter i called my Honda dealer said they will install it for me for $300

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just FYI -
PCIII and PCV do allow for separate mapping of each cylinder if desired. In our testing we always look at both cylinders and if there is a large discrepancy between the two we will map each one independently. On most Metric cruisers this is NOT the case and you can have 1 fuel table for both cylinders. Harleys, Ducati's, Aprilia, Guzzi are a totally different story.

Right now the Auto tune kit for Metric cruisers only has 1 sensor so you can only monitor one cylinder at a time which as stated above is not really an issue. We should have the AT-300 available late January. This will allow any bike to monitor 2 cylinders and map simultaneously.
Well its about late February, any news anybody

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Wow just read this entire thread...:confused:...So i have a jet engine in my bike that cant read a map hmmmmmm Guess i'll just get a GPS...:cool:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts