Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure people living in California or any other quake prone location feel earthquakes all the time, but for someone living in Kansas, it's quite an interesting and exciting experience. Within the past seven years, I've heard people talk about mild movement in this area, which any quake experienced people may call tremors, but I never felt anything because I guess it didn't reach my place 20 minutes away.

I was sitting here at my desk on the second floor and felt the building "shudder" and it made my body move back and forth slightly and it lasted several seconds so I looked over at my bottle of water and saw the water sloshing back and forth a little. It was an amazing feeling. I've never felt anything like that before without being in a car or a boat, but to be in building and feel yourself rocking back and forth, man that shit was cool.

I immediately stood up and went to the next office over and asked the gal in there and she said she felt it too and then I asked 4 or 5 other people and they said they felt it also, but one guy I asked who was downstairs said he felt nothing.

My first earthquake.......it was barely a jostle and lasted just a few seconds, but it was still pretty neat.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Built a cabinet for my dry goods in my room at the YMCA.
When quake started with a YANK, doors flew open and dry goods flew across room.
Shaking continued for another 15 seconds with me standing in doorway and me becoming more frightened every second after the first five.
Wikipedia says it was a rolling earthquake after initial shock. 1987 Whittier Narrows earthquake.
NOT FUN!

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
The first earthquake my family felt was in Fremont CA back in March 2002. I remember it because my ex was on the toilet when the earthquake hit, scared the shit out of her.....literally. We went outside clear of the building but none of the locals came out so I figured it can't be that bad or the locals would be running out of their homes. We got used to the quakes after a while but all the same I took the shortest bridge in the Bay Area (Dumbarton) to work and back in case a quake hit while I was on the road.

·
Registered
12,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About an hour later some guy looked it up and said there was a 4.4 quake somewhere down in Oklahoma around the same time we felt it here in Kansas so it was definitely an earthquake. They say it's due to all the fracking they do, forcing liquid into the ground to push out natural gas.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
About an hour later some guy looked it up and said there was a 4.4 quake somewhere down in Oklahoma around the same time we felt it here in Kansas so it was definitely an earthquake. They say it's due to all the fracking they do, forcing liquid into the ground to push out natural gas.
In 1982 they also said the planet would be 20°F warmer, too hot for half the crops to grow, and civilization would be dying off from starvation and dehydration if we didn't stop Global Warming (apparently caused by hairspray).

In 2000 "con-trails" from airplanes was causing a greenhouse effect and we had to end all air travel or we'd literally get roasted to death. (Don't know why we couldn't move North, but whatever...)

In about 2015 they said polar bears were dying because the polar ice caps were receding and they had no ice to hunt seals on. They were still saying that in 2017. I noticed summers were rainy and quite a bit cooler, despite "Global Warming."

In 2018 the glaciers were growing at record rates because of "Climate Change." (They should have called it "Global Cooling.")

Every year "the experts" blame crime on guns (inanimate objects) and say they have to confiscate them to make us safe. Yet government has tons of guns and won't take down violent gangs or protect our borders from MS-13 members. Meanwhile lawfully armed citizens defend themselves from criminals, sometimes simply by going armed in public and not being an "easy target."

----

So let's look at this fracking thing. Water in, gas out, resulting in equilibrium.

People are really, really tiny insignificant little beings. We have trouble changing anything in our environment over the long haul--even the Chernobyl fallout zone is being overtaken by nature, and that was a major catastrophe. The Gulf Oil Spill--huge disaster we had no idea how to fix, suddenly brought to an end by bacteria we didn't know existed--totally mopped up in record time making "the experts"...unnecessary.

Can fracking cause a shift in the tectonic plates? Not even close--we can't lift part of the continent with our little water pumps. Plates under tension might slip a bit sooner than they would otherwise, but we're not "causing" the situation, the situation already exists. More than likely we're helping prevent a sudden "snap" and huge, huge natural disaster.

Abandoned buildings near the Chernobyl power plant. Nature is reclaiming the land.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can fracking cause a shift in the tectonic plates? Not even close--we can't lift part of the continent with our little water pumps. Plates under tension might slip a bit sooner than they would otherwise, but we're not "causing" the situation, the situation already exists. More than likely we're helping prevent a sudden "snap" and huge, huge natural disaster.
I've heard people say that we never had any earthquakes here before they started fracking, but I don't know. I think there is some fault line close around here. I'm inclined to agree with you that the fracking isn't causing any major damage and maybe like you said, if anything, it may be helping it release a little at a time instead of eventually having a large shift, resulting in rolling my single wide mansion off Hermit Hill and down into the gully.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
First one I felt here in California was the 1994 Northridge quake that dropped the I-14 on the I-5. I lived an hour and a half away, and felt it pretty strongly.
Man that was some quake. I was on vacation and staying in Beverley Hills when it hit. Shook the shit out of the hotel and scared the crap out of my cousins who thought we were going to die.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm sure people living in California or any other quake prone location feel earthquakes all the time, but for someone living in Kansas, it's quite an interesting and exciting experience. Within the past seven years, I've heard people talk about mild movement in this area, which any quake experienced people may call tremors, but I never felt anything because I guess it didn't reach my place 20 minutes away.

I was sitting here at my desk on the second floor and felt the building "shudder" and it made my body move back and forth slightly and it lasted several seconds so I looked over at my bottle of water and saw the water sloshing back and forth a little. It was an amazing feeling. I've never felt anything like that before without being in a car or a boat, but to be in building and feel yourself rocking back and forth, man that shit was cool.

I immediately stood up and went to the next office over and asked the gal in there and she said she felt it too and then I asked 4 or 5 other people and they said they felt it also, but one guy I asked who was downstairs said he felt nothing.

My first earthquake.......it was barely a jostle and lasted just a few seconds, but it was still pretty neat.
Unfortunately I didn't get to "feel" this one, we were running around town picking up some things for the daughters graduation. This biggest I've felt happened a few years ago when the largest quake recorded in Oklahoma measured 5.8 that shook the walls and rattled the cabinets. The mother in law was down for a visit and left the next day, ironically, she was here over the weekend as well.

·
Registered
12,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately I didn't get to "feel" this one, we were running around town picking up some things for the daughters graduation. This biggest I've felt happened a few years ago when the largest quake recorded in Oklahoma measured 5.8 that shook the walls and rattled the cabinets. The mother in law was down for a visit and left the next day, ironically, she was here over the weekend as well.
Had I not been sitting still I doubt I would've felt this one, but I don't know for sure.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts

Maybe not large shifts in entire plates, but you can't deny the fact that here in DFW we had major new fracking ventures all around the area beginning in 2008 and have reported as much as a dozen seismic events within a 7 day period period between then and now. Prior to fracking, there might be a seismic event once every 10 years and we were lucky if it was strong enough to actually be felt/noticed by anything other than a seismometer..

I don't think that's simply coincidence.

Not saying that fracking is going to cause 6.8 super-destructive event, but it DOES cause shifts in the ground that trigger mini-quakes. For an area that doesn't really sit on the edge of major plates, I think there's still something of importance to consider in our impact on the planet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts