Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went for the Ebay purchase of the spike intake and decided to mod the bracket, following a couple other threads on here.

First thing when I got the intake was to take a look at the circular adapter, and see what holes were going to be used and which ones needed to be blocked off.

The 2 outermost holes and the half moon slot will be covered. I found some plastic plugs that filled a 1/4-20 hole at a local hardware store that worked perfect. They just snap into place. The half moon hole I just put some gorilla tape on the backside of the adapter and called it good. I use gorilla tape for ghetto tubeless setup on my MTB rims and it works great, so I figured it would work fine here.

There are (2) holes that are on top of each other. One of these I used for the 1/8 NPT fitting as you can see below, and the other one was plugged off with the same plastic plugs as above. The photo shows the entire barb of the fitting, but I ended up having to cut that back so there were only 2 barbs left because it ends up interfering with a small screw on the TB.

Here are some photos showing everything.

Now notice all the white paint on the back? That's whiteout. It's how I aligned to drill for the bracket hole. With the supplied support bracket, if you bolt to the factory support location (lower, between the cylinders), there is about a 1" gap between the bracket and the back of the circular adapter plate. So to mark where to drill that hole, I threaded the stock bolt in about 2 threads with the bracket attached (lower mount) and basically used the bolt as a projected guide. I got everything set up op how I thought it should sit, applied whiteout to the top of the support bracket, and slid it along the bolt until it came into contact with the back of the circular adapter. It left a nice paint mark on the adapter from the bracket, and that's where I drilled a hole for a 10-32 threaded bolt (the bracket has 2 10-32 pre drilled and tapped holes in it, but you can only use 1 of them, the top one).

With this drilled out, I could now start assembling.

This photo shows how close the breather hose is to the screw on the TB, the reason for hacking part of the barb off

I hand cut a gasket for between the TB adapter and the intake adapter plate

Here you can see the aluminum spacer I used to attach the adapter to the supplied bracket. It's 3/4" long. I ended up having to bend the bracket a bit to get it to mount flush to each surface.

Here is the intake plate mounted to the adapter with the gasket in between. You can see the lower part of the bracket hanging down there. I screwed the OEM bolt in but kept it just barely snug, as well as the bolt that went through the circular adapter plate that attached to the top of the bracket, until I set everything how I wanted it, then tightened it down.

One thing to note: with this setup, you will want a lock washer or something to space the factory bolt out from the lower part of the bracket. The reason is the factory bolt has a bore that goes through the bracket, and hits hard on the factory mount. the bracket thickness is just shy of this shoulder on the bolt, so you can never tighten the bracket down snug. Spacing the bolt out doesn't allow the shoulder to contact the bolt mount, rather the head of the bolt+ the lock washer sandwich the bolt and apply all the force so the bracket won't spin.

A view from the front:

Part 2 next post....

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Part II

I also cut a gasket for the plate to intake interface:
It may be worth noting that I had to buy a M5x.8 tap to chase the threads of the flat adapter plate

Installed the intake elbow. I noticed when I mounted the spike housing on the elbow, the filter was flopping around in there. Fixed that with some weatherproofing foam which took up the slack nicely. It has adhesive on one side. Will not interrupt flow as the ID of the filter is inboard of the foam anyway:

Plate adapter to intake elbow, showing the gasket. It sucks you can kind of see it, but oh well, my cutting wasn't precision...

Better view of the gasket locations from the top:

And a few pics of the final result:

Feel free to hit me up with questions, I'm sure I left something out. Hope this can help anyone deciding to go this route!

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
krash I just wanna say fantastic write up m8 >:)

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
krash I just wanna say fantastic write up m8
Thank you! It's funny as I scrolled down to comment I really noticed how high our rears stick up on these bikes...ok man looks like I'm gonna have to lower her now...

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
Thanks krash, nice write up.

I have a few of these spike intakes from China, they were so cheap and free shipping to Japan I just kept buying, returning and buying again till I got a fairly nice chrome one. I have a boss hypercharger now but I've wanted to be able to switch sometimes.

>:)

Tigger

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great write up! Detailed descriptions with visuals to go with. Awesome job. Thank you Krash.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
No problem! Hopefully it can be useful for anyone who want's a $60 intake + a few extras.

I took the Cobra Powerflo off to put this on purely for cosmetic and the direction I want to go. It does sound really nice though. You can definitely here it pulling in air more so than the Powerflo. My butt dyno can't tell any performance difference. None lost or gain. The gaskets are working well...I did the soapy water trick around the gaskets to look for leaks, and I couldn't see any, so that's solid as well.

I hit some pretty nasty potholes that the state of WA refuses to fix (they don't do chit for the roads around here) and the intake stayed put. So bracket setup is working well.

I also made a rain sock for that just-in-case scenario if I got caught in a terrential downpour, out of some ladies leggings (shoulda seen the look on the cashier girls face when I bought those in all my MC gear, priceless...). I know it's not necessary to make, but eases my mind. I rode with the sock in the dry just to see if it starved anything, and nah it was the same. So that should work if I feel the need.

The quality of the spike intake, I'm surprised it's a pretty solid setup! The only thing that threw me a curve ball that I didn't expect was taking up the slack of the filter in the spike cover with the weather stripping. Maybe someday I'll paint it matte instead of gloss black, or just rough it up and apply a satin clear coat to it. That would probably be the way to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Part II

I also cut a gasket for the plate to intake interface:
It may be worth noting that I had to buy a M5x.8 tap to chase the threads of the flat adapter plate

Installed the intake elbow. I noticed when I mounted the spike housing on the elbow, the filter was flopping around in there. Fixed that with some weatherproofing foam which took up the slack nicely. It has adhesive on one side. Will not interrupt flow as the ID of the filter is inboard of the foam anyway:

Plate adapter to intake elbow, showing the gasket. It sucks you can kind of see it, but oh well, my cutting wasn't precision...

Better view of the gasket locations from the top:

And a few pics of the final result:

Feel free to hit me up with questions, I'm sure I left something out. Hope this can help anyone deciding to go this route!
Thanks for that legend..from Australia...installing one on my fury this weekend

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that legend..from Australia...installing one on my fury this weekend
No worries! Dang that brings back some memories of the old look of my bike!

Reactions: Gizmo and Rayray

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello. Wonderful work. I have a question. So how many screws do you hold the adapter on? And where did you connect the hose from the second cylinder? Thank you
Post #1 shows everything I did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts