Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I just fitted a Tsukayu fairing with speakers. When I power on the amp with the ignition key, I get a low humming, hissing, popping feedback. It doesn't affect sound playback, but it is somewhat annoying every time I turn the bike on. From what I've read its ground loop feedback. I've tried attaching the amps ground to the battery, and various ground points around the seat area, etc, but nothing has worked so far.

Any ideas?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I tried the battery, various points on the frame. Disconnected all my other modules like run/turn/brakes, fuel controller, compressor, plasma rods, etc. I tried putting them all on the same ground point on the frame. Still no go. Only difference I heard was removing the run/turn/brake module made the noise lower. I'm going to try a ground loop isolator between the bluetooth connector and the amp next.

I'll need to disassemble the fairing compartment housing the amp and unplug stuff while powered to see where in the circuit its getting the noise from.

Registered
Ground loops with audio equipment generally happen when the source unit is grounded somewhere other than the amp ground. So I would check that out. You could try lifting the ground wire from your source unit, it will probably still work as it is grounding through the signal wire and source units don't draw much power. You mention a bluetooth connector so I would start with it first, disconnect the bluetooth connector from the amp and then see how much noise the amp makes. If it is still making the same noise then you can look for noise in the power supply. I've had some amps that would pickup all kind of engine noise through the power, even though they weren't supposed to in theory and in those cases I just used a noise filter and that fixed the problem.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the more I read all day long on this issue, the more your advice is sound. My system is basically a bluetooth connector going into an amp with the amp powering the speakers. No fancy touchscreens or radios. How the connector is grounded I don't know yet. I would expect both of them are coming through the same main wire. The interference starts as soon as I turn the ignition key on and doesn't change with the bike running. Moving the loose power cable out and away from the bike doesn't make a difference, so it 'almost' doesn't seem like a power supply issue.

Once music is playing via bluetooth you can't even tell the interference is there.

Registered
Yeah, the more I read all day long on this issue, the more your advice is sound. My system is basically a bluetooth connector going into an amp with the amp powering the speakers. No fancy touchscreens or radios. How the connector is grounded I don't know yet. I would expect both of them are coming through the same main wire. The interference starts as soon as I turn the ignition key on and doesn't change with the bike running. Moving the loose power cable out and away from the bike doesn't make a difference, so it 'almost' doesn't seem like a power supply issue.

Once music is playing via bluetooth you can't even tell the interference is there.
Where is the bluetooth connector? Is it mounted on the handle bars? How many wires does it have? Try disconnecting the bluetooth connector from the amp and see if you get any noise. You may end up using a ground loop eliminator or a power filter for the amp or bluetooth connector but let's see if we can narrow it down to the unit causing the problem. Back in the 90s I had to put a power filter on the factory head unit to get rid of engine noise even though it should not have needed it. Strange things happen to vehicle audio systems......

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Where is the bluetooth connector? Is it mounted on the handle bars? How many wires does it have? Try disconnecting the bluetooth connector from the amp and see if you get any noise. You may end up using a ground loop eliminator or a power filter for the amp or bluetooth connector but let's see if we can narrow it down to the unit causing the problem. Back in the 90s I had to put a power filter on the factory head unit to get rid of engine noise even though it should not have needed it. Strange things happen to vehicle audio systems......
Its the left channel source input causing the distortion. I'll try a single two channel loop isolator and hopefully that'll take care of it without needing a larger four channel isolator. Or its failing...

Registered
Its the left channel source input causing the distortion. I'll try a single two channel loop isolator and hopefully that'll take care of it without needing a larger four channel isolator. Or its failing...
If it's coming from one channel of the amp with nothing other than the speakers connected then you have a fault in the amp. Something is going bad.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So the two channel ground loop isolator took care of the problem with no discernable reduction in sound quality or volume. Kind of weird that it worked considering I tried using different sources and different rca cables in the channel while troubleshooting and they all produced interference. Of course, now a very very very slight hiss can be heard from the other channel if you stick your ear close to it... But there's no room in the compartment for a second isolator, so it's something I can at least ignore for now. Thanks macxpert.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts