Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All-

I just installed the RAW tail lights. I hooked it up to the wiring diagram with the exception of the tail lights. do i need to cap these off or actually ground them? They will work a few time then short out...I did not disconnect the battery as I am installing them, is this absolutely neccessary?

thx!

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
All-

I just installed the RAW tail lights. I hooked it up to the wiring diagram with the exception of the tail lights. do i need to cap these off or actually ground them? They will work a few time then short out...I did not disconnect the battery as I am installing them, is this absolutely neccessary?

thx!
Any wire that you are not using, that is not green (green is ground), make sure you don't need it and cut it off. Do not ground any of the other wires! You don't even need to ground the green wires, because those should already be grounded as well. (before you cut it off, read below)

Make an inch loop where you cut it, then tie it back, just in case you change to a different system later. (keep reading)

You may not have the same system that I have, but the concept is the same, basically a DIY, just listen to the instructions... watch the vid:

http://www.furyforums.com/forum/honda-fury-videos/2691-another-new-vid-rear-diy-led-install.html

Any questions, e-mail me or reply back to this thread...

Also, look at this, scroll down to the wiring part and it will help you figure out maybe where you are at (mainly page 13)...

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-e641b800.html

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I wired it pretty much mirror to your setup. the only thing i did do was cap off the ground and license plate bracket. did you disconnect the battery for your setup? The problem doesnt seem to start till I take the time to put the fender on. Maybe the fender is stressing the LED and causing to short? thought?

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Ya I wired it pretty much mirror to your setup. the only thing i did do was cap off the ground and license plate bracket. did you disconnect the battery for your setup? The problem doesnt seem to start till I take the time to put the fender on. Maybe the fender is stressing the LED and causing to short? thought?
Check all your wires and make sure none of them are shorting to ground, get the lights to work properly before you put on your fender.

I did not disconnect the battery for my setup, just turned the key off... I was trying to do a DIY in the video, so I wanted the lights available to me anytime I wanted to turn on the camera and show everybody.

It is not necessary to disconnect the battery so long as you are aware of the wires and what they do. As you saw, I was basically "playing" with the wires to make sure everything was hooking up properly as I was going along and even sparked (touched them) a couple of times on accident (which was not visible to the camera).

There are a couple trouble shooting methods that you can try to do:

First, inspect the area where the wires go into the LED array and make sure none of them are loose or frayed, from accidentally being too taught in your set up... Follow the wires up the line and make sure they are not accidentally touching the frame somewhere, where it might have cut into the cable slightly. Follow it to your bundle and make sure all of your wires are wrapped up properly.

Second, turn on the lights without that rear fender on and start wiggling the wires. ***If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it, might be the time to break it out.*** - Back to the wiggle, the area where you bundled your wires, make sure to almost grab the bundle and move it around, not vigorously but generously, to see if the problem may lay there.

Third: There may be a short in the LED assembly, which by putting the fender on and touching the LED assembly with the fender, it is causing the casing to flex and short out the wires. Putting on the fender slowly while the lights are on, should give you an idea of where the general issue is, if it happens in the area of the LED's, then it's probably the assembly or any wiring that you have in that area for the MOD, check those.
***IF this is the case, you will probably have to send back the assembly to RAW, contact them if this is the case.

Fourth: Also, could be the module. This is where it may get tricky to locate the issue. Again, putting on the fender slowly while the lights are on, should give you an idea of where the general issue is. If it happens as you hit the module, something is either loose in that area or it is the module (again, this is why I was "testing" them as I went along in the video... it was to test the module and to make sure I had the correct wiring as I went along)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I belive that I just did not adjust it correctly and the fender was stressing the LED's. I remounted them with a fingernail gap in between the fender and seem to be working great now. Didnt think they were so sensitive.

thx again!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
All-

thx!
I had a bad RBT module, did all kinds of wierd things. Just overlook all your work area for the wires and make sure no cuts through the casing and that your wires arnt grounding out, then try tilting the LED down and putting fender on, shouldnt be an issue with that though, and check to see if it still works (alot of times the fender rests up against the RBT module causing issues if its bad and it will help isolate possible issues) If your still getting issues, try running the light and lightly press around the RBT module incase there is an issue on that.

Mine worked, then put fender on and lost one side, sat on the bike lost the other side but got initial dead side back, pulled fender it worked, then bumped it with my knee as i was getting up and about ready to throw a temper tantrum like a 12 year old girl then noticed a freaky light show for a split second and realised the RBT was my issue.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
I belive that I just did not adjust it correctly and the fender was stressing the LED's. I remounted them with a fingernail gap in between the fender and seem to be working great now. Didnt think they were so sensitive.

thx again!
Awesome, one more thing that I would do if I were you... Turn back on those lights and push down on the bike to simulate yourself hitting bumps and going down the road. Make sure that your assembly or installation is sound before hitting the road, glad I could help. :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome, one more thing that I would do if I were you... Turn back on those lights and push down on the bike to simulate yourself hitting bumps and going down the road. Make sure that your assembly or installation is sound before hitting the road, glad I could help. :D
You guys are the best! thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts