Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that we've rebuilt our bikes to look nothing like when they were purchased, I would like to push towards another subject:

Would it be practical/possible to replace whatever is being used for engine mounts with a more resilient and absorbing mount material?

Is there anything out there worth considering?

· Premium Member
6,029 Posts
forgive my ignorance but what are you trying to accomplish by changing the mounts?
Aye... the ride is very smooth and basically vibration free as it is... Could always do the steel idea... rotfl, Hardley, here we come!

· Premium Member
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
forgive my ignorance but what are you trying to accomplish by changing the mounts?
heck, i'm the ignoramus, here. it's probably obvious to everyone else but me.

i don't like the high rpm vibes after 70mph. I read somewhere that Vtwins, by their very nature, vibrate.

I was hoping that a more creative method of damping the vibes via engine mounts would take a few ticks off the old vibe-ometer.

· Premium Member
6,029 Posts
heck, i'm the ignoramus, here. it's probably obvious to everyone else but me.

i don't like the high rpm vibes after 70mph. I read somewhere that Vtwins, by their very nature, vibrate.

I was hoping that a more creative method of damping the vibes via engine mounts would take a few ticks off the old vibe-ometer.
Find a smoother road? Lol... :p

I don't feel it, then again... I wear gloves everywhere, so that may be it?! Don't know, but I've only felt the vibration on bumpy roads and vibrating beds... so... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

· Premium Member
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Find a smoother road? Lol... :p

I don't feel it, then again... I wear gloves everywhere, so that may be it?! Don't know, but I've only felt the vibration on bumpy roads and vibrating beds... so... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
hmm, smoother roads--now why didn't i think of that?
dang--

· Registered
305 Posts
The 52 degree single pin V-Twin is always gonna vibrate (it's also what gives it that nice lub-dub cadence), and Honda did a good job with the dual balancers...

But

I have never had a bike with handlebars that 'buzz' as much as these do (and the left side vibrates worse than the right). Even with gel gloves on, and the ISO grips with end weights i can have fingers go numb in 20 or 30 minutes.

Would love to figure out a way to get about a pound of lead in the end of each bar...that should quite em down.

· Registered
3,345 Posts
Old school: There are 3 simple ways, Jay Cee

1. Packing them with play sand for weight and to absorb vibes.
2. Packing them with lead shot, for loading shotgun shells or scuba weights, or led BB's and play sand mixed.
3. Packing them with soft lead rod, and play sand.

Use a vibrating sander, with out paper, or place just motor or edge against bars to pack sand. Then use plug in end.

· Registered
3,391 Posts
Now that we've rebuilt our bikes to look nothing like when they were purchased, I would like to push towards another subject:

Would it be practical/possible to replace whatever is being used for engine mounts with a more resilient and absorbing mount material?

Is there anything out there worth considering?
Softer tires???:D
I know, I'm being a smart ass.

While I'M typing this a Honda commercial came on TV advertising the Saber, interstate, and Stateline. Saying "New from Honda?" Where the hell is the FURY?

· Premium Member
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmm, maybe it is the handlebars that need 'softening'. yeah, so, maybe a thin rubber or plastic/rubber mat under the Cannellas?

now, with more thought behind this: The mirrors are the most distracting vibe I experience.
I'll ponder this; lots of interesting (sand--?!) idears out there.
thanks guys.

· Premium Member
6,029 Posts
hmm, maybe it is the handlebars that need 'softening'. yeah, so, maybe a thin rubber or plastic/rubber mat under the Cannellas?

now, with more thought behind this: The mirrors are the most distracting vibe I experience.
I'll ponder this; lots of interesting (sand--?!) idears out there.
thanks guys.
I'll ponder you have to live with it... ;)

· Registered
3,093 Posts
Guys ... THEYRE CHOPPERS! They are gonna vibrate and shake a little. I dont even notice the vibrations above 70. Course, i usually take the back roads so as to not go 70. I like to cruise doing 55. But sitting at a red light, and have the tank vibrate a little, or watch the turn signals bounce ever so slightly .. thats what makes this bike cool IMO.

Now Harleys ... they are a completely different story. A friend at work started his up yesterday, and i have never seen a bike shake so violently! Im surprised he still had teeth in his mouth.

· Registered
2,152 Posts
......A friend at work started his [Harley] up yesterday, and i have never seen a bike shake so violently!........
Amen to that! Harley hasn't figured-out counter-balancers yet. But, then, they've only been working on the problem for a hundred years! LOL.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.