Honda Fury Forums: banner

Engine noise/ticking

43K views 113 replies 49 participants last post by  stateline 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, this is a great forum, and much appreciated.
I was wondering if anyone has this same issue that I am experiencing?
At around 300 miles, I was hearing a slight ticking noise on acceleration,and it was even louder when the engine was very warm. I thought it may be pre-ignition, and upgraded my fuel. NO change. I notified my dealer, and he said that it was normal. Between 300 and 600 miles it became louder, and happened more often. At my 600 mile service, I again mentioned it, and they did the service, adjusted the valves, and said that all is alright. Now I have about 1300 miles on it, and hear the ticking almost all the time, now even at idle.
Some people have said that with this motor, this sound is normal. If it is in fact normal, then so be it, but I dont really like the way that it sounds. ( I guess new pipes may be in order, if it is normal)
Anyway, I thought that I would ask the people that would know best,...the Fury owners themselves.
Any feedback on this would be much appreciated.
Safe riding to all.

#2 ·
I have roughly 3100 miles on my bike.... and the ticking is loud IMO. I am no mechanic but I don't think its supposed to ticktickticktick. Sounds crappy and I hope whoever I bring it to for my next service makes it stop.

#10 ·
I have the same ticking. Took it to the dealer and they did a test ride and said it was normal for that engine. They suggested not switching to a synthetic oil until I had at least 4k miles on it.

I added the Cobra pipes and can still hear it.:mad:

#12 ·
Thanks to all of the replies, I guess that the noise is "normal"....Doesn't mean that I have to like it.
I love the bike, but one would think that with all the technology that Honda comes up with, they could avoid this.
At least I dont feel so alone anymore.
I noticed that someone has Cobra exhaust and still hears it,.... I still think that I will go with the exhaust anyway.....couldn't hurt!
Thanks again.
Safe riding!

This post has been deleted
#26 ·
I thought mine was an engine knock also. It happens when the engine is under a load. Especially when taking off in first, but it goes away once the revs are up. I also have the valve ticking, but this is a totally different sound when under a load. The valve ticking is constant until it gets hot, which is probably normal as most are saying.

#29 ·
That sound exactly like my 'problem'...

I never had that type of sound with my VTX1800C, I wonder if it is a unique issue to the 1300 motor?

I can't tell if it is truly gone after first gear because it's hard to hear with my helmet on. But running the bike up and down my subdivision, it seems to be only in first gear.

I didn't want to take it to the dealer and get told that every 1300 sounds like this...

#40 ·
A slight "knocking" sound is a typical characteristic of the single pin crank the Fury uses. Remember with a single pin, the cylinders do not fire exact opposite of each other, but inside only a slight second behind one another.

The valves can get a little out of adjustment, esp during the breakin period, all depends on how you ride the bike, etc. But I wouldn't be concerned unless you here a LOUD knocking, and notice a performance difference.

This post has been deleted
#41 ·
Wait until the first post with somebody telling us about their engine blowing up or flying apart. Then we will know for sure what it is.

My opinion is an engine should not knock. I don't care if a dealer says its normal or not. This is a new bike with a slightly different engine design and I'm sure they don't know beans about it either.

#42 ·
The "ticking" is, as mentioned before, valve chatter. Otherwise known as the "sewing machine affect" (also mentioned). It doesn't matter if its pushrod, ohc, dohc, etc. All engines make this noise to some degree. Some more than others. High performance engines are especially loud due to higher lifts and duration on the cam lobes.

#43 ·
Engine Knock

Glad to hear it wasn't just mine on both counts! After I performed the 600 mile valve adjustment I noticed the ticking, the valves seemed tight when I checked them as two intakes and one exhaust rocker needed to be loosened up. Now they tick.

The knock started at about 200 miles, just like everyone reports usually in first gear taking off with the engine at low RPM under load.

I installed a set of Cobra Swepts and a Power Commander 5, had the bike dyno tuned and low and behold the knock is gone! It must have been a lean condition that was curred with the PC? Either way, the knock is gone, the tick is there and the bike runs outstanding.

#44 ·
Glad to hear it wasn't just mine on both counts! After I performed the 600 mile valve adjustment I noticed the ticking, the valves seemed tight when I checked them as two intakes and one exhaust rocker needed to be loosened up. Now they tick.

The knock started at about 200 miles, just like everyone reports usually in first gear taking off with the engine at low RPM under load.

I installed a set of Cobra Swepts and a Power Commander 5, had the bike dyno tuned and low and behold the knock is gone! It must have been a lean condition that was curred with the PC? Either way, the knock is gone, the tick is there and the bike runs outstanding.
Big Block, when you figure out how to get the maps out of your PCV, lets us know... This KNOCK is getting annoying...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.