Honda Fury Forums: banner

Engine overheat?

8K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  furious_blue 
#1 ·
So today I was trying to maneuver through a small space, I was riding for a while before hand, and all of sudden the engine cut off on it's own. And No matter what I do, I can't restart it. So I just parked it and visited a friend near by for a while, when I came back it started up fine.

Is there some temperature that the engine would cut off at? I was a bit surprised that it would cut off like that....

#2 ·
mine did that one time and my honda shop said that it was because the temp sensor needed replacing because of the new vibration of my exhaust he replaced it and not a prob since

#3 ·
Hopefully clueless will see this,he's a Honda mechanic so he could probaby answer it for you. I k ow that mine hasn't shut-off and I did a ride one time that was a 12 mile parade that took an hour. My engine was HOT ( middle of may in Texas) but it didn't shut off,but my fan was on almost the whole time.

#6 ·
always ask a mechanic if the bike car truck scooter..lol.. is new.... my 97 shadow i did the moter but id never mess with my baby she to new

#8 ·
So today I was trying to maneuver through a small space, I was riding for a while before hand, and all of sudden the engine cut off on it's own. And No matter what I do, I can't restart it. So I just parked it and visited a friend near by for a while, when I came back it started up fine.

Is there some temperature that the engine would cut off at? I was a bit surprised that it would cut off like that....
No, that would stop coolant flow to the motor and be counter productive to the cooling system. If the fan just kicked on, the engine was at approx 207 degrees (F)

mine did that one time and my honda shop said that it was because the temp sensor needed replacing because of the new vibration of my exhaust he replaced it and not a prob since
When I read this earlier I thought "Sounds like BS to me " So I looked it up in the shop manual and now it Sounds more like BS than before. (from the shop)
The sensor is located in the thermostat housing, which is on the oposite side of the bike from the exhaust, and the housing is mounted to the frame.

Actually my fan came on right before the engine shut off..... as soon as I hear the fan came on the engine just went dead.....
Did you get a MIL code flashing on the speedo ? If the sensor is bad, the fan will be on all the time, and the bike will be hard to start when cold, and run poorly till it heats up. Your dealer can hook it up to an HDS and see if there is a code in the system. I would go for a ride of a few blocks, go home and let the bike sit and idle till the fan kicks on and see if you can duplicate the fault, I would also check the charge of the battery and the connections to the battery.

#9 ·
No, that would stop coolant flow to the motor and be counter productive to the cooling system. If the fan just kicked on, the engine was at approx 207 degrees (F)

When I read this earlier I thought "Sounds like BS to me " So I looked it up in the shop manual and now it Sounds more like BS than before. (from the shop)
The sensor is located in the thermostat housing, which is on the oposite side of the bike from the exhaust, and the housing is mounted to the frame.

Did you get a MIL code flashing on the speedo ? If the sensor is bad, the fan will be on all the time, and the bike will be hard to start when cold, and run poorly till it heats up. Your dealer can hook it up to an HDS and see if there is a code in the system. I would go for a ride of a few blocks, go home and let the bike sit and idle till the fan kicks on and see if you can duplicate the fault, I would also check the charge of the battery and the connections to the battery.
I didn't get the flashing, but I had the Oil sign stayed on when that happened.

The bike started up fine today... so the more I think about it, I might have stalled the bike since I was doing the maneuver on a sloped area. And I might have try to start it when it was in gear... I don't know if the bike actually prevent you to start it when it's in gear.

I dunno, I was a bit frustrated yesterday and a bit surprised, it might all turn out to be my operating error but the engine was shut off so smoothly it didn't felt like a stall.

I will have the shop look at my bike soon.

Thanks for your advices. I really appreciate it.

#11 ·
hey clueless i get your a mechanic.. but my comment wasnt bs.. my local shop told me that was the prob and my invoice shows what they replaced.. so as for my comment its genuine ... as for the honda mechanoc that told me the prob maybe he full of shit but as for me what i posted is what i was told............

#12 · (Edited)
Was the bike in gear and the kick down when you tried restart?

PS sickandtwizted; Clueless did not doubt you were told that, he said, BS from the shop,

quote;clueless
After you are here for a while you will find that Clueless is the real deal, always helpfull, and does not go around slapping people.

#14 ·
It may just be a false impression, but it seems my radiator fan runs more frequently since adding the Irate Tribal cover. Less air flow and more metal to heat up? Even on relatively cool easy rides. Maybe I should have gone with the wire mesh version, but I have not had any problems with extreme overheating.

I do like the kickstand light that is on the older Shadows. Seldom an issue, but sometimes the idiot lights help with quick checklists.

#17 ·
I'm not sure about the vacuum thing don't really know what it means, but i only gas-ed up once since I got the bike...

I never took the seats off, but the other day when I was cleaning the bike, I noticed that the dealer did not put on the side cover on correctly which leaves a gap right in the middle. So I took it apart and put it back on correctly.

#18 · (Edited)
Clueless, wasn't there something posted about the sharp edges on the cover install clips on the cover cutting or clipping some wires behind the cover causing a grounding, power, starting issue?

PS Posted by Captainfester, 07/06/2010
Ride side removable panel scraped and cut through a couple of the wires in the bundle near the shock load set knob. Now bike won't start! Gotta bring it to the shop.
Guessing it was from taking off and putting back on the side panel. Mine started to cut into my wires a couple of months ago, put some electrical tape over it though before it caused any type of serious damage to it and has effectively protected them since then... What he also may have to do is cut that zip tie that is holding that wiring harness there, in order to give him some slack with the harness, so he can move it around when putting on the side panel, I also did this and now can move my harness over when I go in and mess with the shock settings and now I can slip it on within a couple of seconds because of this

Posted by Imwright 07/10/2010
Cut 1/2 way through a green wire with mine. Went to check and see if my Diode was the same as a CBR i was working on and noticed it started to cut. I have only had that cover off and on maby 5 times since i got the pipes. I undid the ziptie, the front t holder tie that is electrical taped on, and shaved the nub down a touch. wondering if there is anything else to help prevent this.

#19 ·
Clueless, wasn't there something posted about the sharp edges on the cover install clips on the cover cutting or clipping some wires behind the cover causing a grounding starting issue?

PS Posted by Captainfester, 07/06/2010
Ride side removable panel scraped and cut through a couple of the wires in the bundle near the shock load set knob. Now bike won't start! Gotta bring it to the shop.
Guessing it was from taking off and putting back on the side panel. Mine started to cut into my wires a couple of months ago, put some electrical tape over it though before it caused any type of serious damage to it and has effectively protected them since then... What he also may have to do is cut that zip tie that is holding that wiring harness there, in order to give him some slack with the harness, so he can move it around when putting on the side panel, I also did this and now can move my harness over when I go in and mess with the shock settings and now I can slip it on within a couple of seconds because of this

Posted by Imwright 07/10/2010
Cut 1/2 way through a green wire with mine. Went to check and see if my Diode was the same as a CBR i was working on and noticed it started to cut. I have only had that cover off and on maby 5 times since i got the pipes. I undid the ziptie, the front t holder tie that is electrical taped on, and shaved the nub down a touch. wondering if there is anything else to help prevent this.

I will have the dealer check it when I go in to pick up my plate next couple weeks.

Thanks for looking up these information Mental. You have been most helpful.

#21 ·
:confused:sounds like what clueless said makes the most sense (the battery terminals) when the fan kicked in there was a sudden power draw if battery was not fully charged due to loose wiring , caused the engine to cut off when he tryed to restart the engine was warm and loose wiring may not have been making a good connection due to expansion and contraction !
If not it sounds good any way LOL.:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.