Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here is my plan.

i have a airbrushing kit and i am going to get some high temp engine paint. im going to mask off the fins on the engine with some thin tape then spray the rest of the engine black. once that is done im going to use my dremel to sand / polish the lips.

you guys think it will look good vs painting the whole thing black?

also does anybody have a blue fury with the engine already blacked out? i have been waiting to see what it will look like.

i have the chrome kury covers on the lower section so we are just really talking about the fin sections.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Flat black on the jugs, cast iron gray on the cases and polish the fin edges.
That is how I am doing mine.

It would look something like this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm thinking to do the same thing. There is no need to mask off your fins if you are going to be sanding and polishing anyway; save yourself the work.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
They guys on the VTX forums sand and polish the fins, mask them off with fine line tape or pin stripe tape and then paint the motor. If you paint then sand and polish I think you will run a big risk of removing a lot of paint on the edge and will have to repaint anyway.

If I ever get around to doing mine I will be using gloss black to match the rest of the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
i admire your ambition...all of you. go forth and do not tary. we await your results.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
They guys on the VTX forums sand and polish the fins, mask them off with fine line tape or pin stripe tape and then paint the motor. If you paint then sand and polish I think you will run a big risk of removing a lot of paint on the edge and will have to repaint anyway.

QUOTE]

+1 you risk chipping the paint if you sand/polish after, plus you have a big mess to clean. Go to the VTXOA.com site in the How To there are threads on painting engines. Too bad there isn't a How To here.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I wouldn't do it if I had a blue fury . Maybe I would think of doing it in a matching blue but not black . IMO.....

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the only thing i have to base it on it the red stateline that i have seen with the blacked out engine. looked good

·
Registered
140 Posts
other than steves photoshop blue fury, the only link i have found on a colored bike is Hilti's maroon one referenced in the FAQ... http://www.furyforums.com/forum/fury-tech-performance-chat/484-blacked-out-engine.html. i like Hilti's pics particularly because it shows the top half w/ polished fins, with the lower half still left to do. so gives an idea the difference in looks between the 2 at one time.

i have a matte silver... if my d*mn exhaust pipes would ever come in i plan on attempting to do mine in a flat black (no polished fins) to match my flat color scheme.

Too bad there isn't a How To here
maybe you and richard could start that next in the DYI section for us? :D i still appreciate that tool thread you helped with.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good find mountain man. there is a good how to from big hitter. i will compile my own when i get her down in a couple weeks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts