Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. 2010 fury with 30000 kms. Engine started ticking after bike warms up after installing big city thunder baffles. I've check the valve clearance and seems fine. One was a little tight adjusted and still the noise is there. Anyone have any suggestions for me? Driving me nuts with the nice weather coming.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Hi all. 2010 fury with 30000 kms. Engine started ticking after bike warms up after installing big city thunder baffles. I've check the valve clearance and seems fine. One was a little tight adjusted and still the noise is there. Anyone have any suggestions for me? Driving me nuts with the nice weather coming.
When you checked the valve lash was the engine stone cold?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had a problem with the side chrome cover where you put the key in.. I have a 2010 and someone stole the gromit's that held it in and put shitty ones in it... when i rode the bike it sounded like i was gonna need a valve job, the faster you go the more it rattles.(more of a tap tap). 2 on the side and the 1 at the bottom. take the cover off see if it stops.. drove me crazy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After going out and re listening the noise seems to be coming from the bottom right side of the motor.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Pull off the right side clutch cover (easy) and do a visual check. If nothing easy pull apart the clutch discs.

Hopefully nothing deeper in the motor.

Check your oil level , confirm 10w30.

Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pull off the right side clutch cover (easy) and do a visual check. If nothing easy pull apart the clutch discs.

Hopefully nothing deeper in the motor.

Check your oil level , confirm 10w30.

Good luck
Anything in particular I should look for in there? Oil level good. Just changed with brand new oil

·
Registered
415 Posts
Check for exhaust leak 1st, yes...after warm up could start leaking.

Oil level check is bike level...dipstick not screwed in.

Multi viscosity is important 10w30, if tick is subtle maybe 10w40 ??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check for exhaust leak 1st, yes...after warm up could start leaking.

Oil level check is bike level...dipstick not screwed in.

Multi viscosity is important 10w30, if tick is subtle maybe 10w40 ??
Dealer gave me 10w40. Was ticking before the change and after. Bike was level and dip stick not screwed in.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Kbuskill is probably most knowledgeable about the Fury.

If not exhaust leak, the clutch cover will probably need to come off.

Good luck

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
It's possible for ticks to go away when the metal gets hot and expands, closing up the hole.... I suppose it could work the other way as well.

If you suspect the clutch I would try pulling the clutch lever in while it is ticking and see if the noise changes.

10w30 for cooler climates... 10w40 for warmer climates is the recommendation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's possible for ticks to go away when the metal gets hot and expands, closing up the hole.... I suppose it could work the other way as well.

If you suspect the clutch I would try pulling the clutch lever in while it is ticking and see if the noise changes.

10w30 for cooler climates... 10w40 for warmer climates is the recommendation.
Thanks. Will try pulling the clutch lever in tomorrow. Pretty cold here today. Maybe I should drop the oil and switch to 10w30 then. Not sure why the honda dealer would give me 10w40 if it's not recommended. I'm in Ontario Canada so still pretty cold here.

·
Registered
415 Posts
It's possible for ticks to go away when the metal gets hot and expands, closing up the hole.... I suppose it could work the other way
If you are sure noise is from right side.

Am thinking along the line of checking the teeth on clutch basket maybe small debris wedged in tooth..when gets hot , expands, then ?

I think he said noise present at cold start but gets louder when warmed up.

Plan on taking the clutch cover off.

Take it to service dealer and have them listen to it for a second opinion.

Might be normal engine noise that you are not used to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you are sure noise is from right side.

Am thinking along the line of checking the teeth on clutch basket maybe small debris wedged in tooth..when gets hot , expands, then ?

I think he said noise present at cold start but gets louder when warmed up.

Plan on taking the clutch cover off.

Take to service dealer listen to it for opinion.
No noise at start up. Only once it heats up. Torqued exhaust bolts and still there. Going to take it to honda dealer and let them have a listen when It warms up a bit here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thought of doing that but I've read many people have installed those baffles and haven't heard of anyone else have the same issue. Also the old baffles did not survive the removal so putting them back in is not an option for me.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Wow , maybe they are not positioned right or wrong baffles and causing high back pressure, and then the exhaust leak...but only after hot ? Maybe after period of time and it builds up ?

IDK.

OK, I know I'm just grasping for straws.

So I'll quit posting and wait for the final solution.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts