Honda Fury Forums: banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
There is a good possibility that some metal shavings from the holes drilled to attach the baffles are still in the pipe and just blowing around from the exhaust pressure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update. Took it to the honda dealer. Said to try changing exhaust gaskets. Did that and it's still there. Told me if it is something in the bottom end it will be expensive. Said there not easy motors to work on. I've tried everything I can do on my own.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Update. Took it to the honda dealer. Said to try changing exhaust gaskets. Did that and it's still there. Told me if it is something in the bottom end it will be expensive. Said there not easy motors to work on. I've tried everything I can do on my own.
A BBQ grille lighter is the easiest way to check for exhaust leaks.

Have the bike indoors if at all possible so there is no breeze/wind. Start the bike > light the BBQ lighter and move the flame around the header gaskets and any other connections on the pipe, like where the header pipes go into the mufflers, and see if the flame gets blown out.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Or cigar smoke...

·
Registered
12,173 Posts
Hi all. 2010 fury with 30000 kms. Engine started ticking after bike warms up after installing big city thunder baffles. I've check the valve clearance and seems fine. One was a little tight adjusted and still the noise is there. Anyone have any suggestions for me? Driving me nuts with the nice weather coming.
Just thought I'd add one more suggestion, just in case. Are you sure it wasn't "ticking" before you made the change? I bought my bike in 2009 and no matter what I've done to it since then, the engine sounds like a sewing machine going down the road, which is a normal sound for this engine. Maybe yours is making a different than normal sound, but thought I'd toss it out there.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Just thought I'd add one more suggestion, just in case. Are you sure it wasn't "ticking" before you made the change? I bought my bike in 2009 and no matter what I've done to it since then, the engine sounds like a sewing machine going down the road, which is a normal sound for this engine. Maybe yours is making a different than normal sound, but thought I'd toss it out there.
I was going to chime in and say the same thing. The exhaust can make some weird noises when indoors that are different than outdoors, depending on how the sound is reverberating. Cold bike sound will be different than warm bike sound. In garage will be different than out riding. Riding next to a retaining wall you usually hear everything (actually that's how I've diagnosed some brake issues on my vehicles!).

If you don't have any exhaust leaks per the flame test above, I wouldn't worry about it. Your baffles are going to create a different sound in the exhaust. Your valve lash is good. As far as oil, 10W-30 weight will be thinner at higher temps than the -40, so if there is -40 in there, it will "muffle" the tick more than 30 would. You said you checked the oil level so rule that out.

I've never heard the clutch make any "ticking" noises as described. I've been pretty deep inside the inner workings of our clutch as well.

I would just ride the thing and let er eat. You could remove the baffles that you just installed and see if you can hear the sound without them in...that would probably be a sure way of telling.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts