Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure who's who and what's what when it comes to ethanol EXCEPT that when it does come to boats, ethanol-laden gasoline IS the enemy.

So, I recently searched for a list of ethanol-free gasoline stations because I am definitely not happy about paying $1.25-$1.60 more on the water to fill up the boat.

Here is a site where you can find out if there is a station near you for ethanol-free gasoline:
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

I paid $4.09/gallon for 89 octance ethanol-free gasoline whilst other stations in the area are charging $3.89 for the same octane with the high fructose corn syrup additive; just so you have a price-point.

I'm thinking I'm going to keep a 5-gallon jug of 87-octane ethanol-free gasoline here for the Fury, since most of my riding can be done within range of one tankful of fuel. If I have to fill up at a regular station - so be it. But, if I can keep a fresh batch of pure gas here for her in most instances - that has to be better.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
I know people are having a lot of trouble with small engines because of the ethanol. We had a chainsaw that wasn't very old blow up this winter because of it. If you have ethanol gas that sits in a tank for a long period of time it will sink to the bottom. It also collects moisture. We have 2 large storage tanks and our supplier suggested that we fill it up with E free 89oct because we only fill them once or twice a year. The otherday the E free 89 was more than diesel. The trouble with that is that my supplier gets it out of Ohio so there is the extra expense of trucking it that much further than getting it from the local refinery. The local refinery won't sell them straight gas. If anything it should be the cheapest out there. They don't have to put anything in it so there shouldn't be any extra process.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Ok I have asked this question before and never got a response so I will try again.
Where I live there is no longer any ethanol free gas. You have 91 and 96 and that is not octane levels that is percentages ethanol in the gas.
Now my question is what happens to the Fury when you are running ethanol?? Will I wind up burning valves or hurting the injectors. Or will the fact that this is a fuel injected engine and I have the fi2000 that there is no trouble burning it. I do realize that when I leave the bike sit for long periods that I need to drain the tank. Any thoughts on this.

·
Registered
111 Posts
What additives, if any are you guys using? I haven't used any yet, but I'm thinking that maybe every third tankful I'd start using something to keep the engine clean and help remove the crap.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
I run a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner threw everything I own at least once between oil changes if not more. They do have some additives out there that are suppose to help with this high ethanol gas but I haven't tried any yet.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Use ethanol free gas!!!!!!

I am lucky enough to have an ethanol free station here in Lakeland. its on the corner of Florida ave and Edgewood and its 91 octane. its the only fuel I run in the bike and the lawn equipment. solved a lot of fuel problems. Don't believe what "they" say about it being a safe additive. After only a few weeks it starts to break down and becomes a great solvent for fuel lines and non-metallic components that clog injectors and carb jets. I let my Maga V65 sit for a few months with that shit in my tank and all 4 carbs are a mess. Have you noticed how often you need to replace fuel lines and priming bulbs on you weed eater and chain saws? Its the ethanol that eats them up. The additives don't help much either. Use ethanol free gas!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
well now, i'll be darned--yes, i've replaced the fuel lines and primer bulbs in some cases--in others, i've just tossed the machine into the rubbish pile.

holy shmoley, thanks for the tips, guys!

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
WE have NO choice.......

here in the communist state of NY.........................our more than openly corrupt officials know what is best for us.............rant over...............t

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, now I KNOW I'm going to keep this stuff around for the Fury when at all possible.

One thing - Thailand Dan - where did you buy your Fury? If in Thailand, maybe Honda alters some components to be more viable in such a place with that fuel product.

Also, any chance Ethanol from, say, switchgrass is different than that produced from corn?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Ok I have asked this question before and never got a response so I will try again.
Where I live there is no longer any ethanol free gas. You have 91 and 96 and that is not octane levels that is percentages ethanol in the gas.
Now my question is what happens to the Fury when you are running ethanol?? Will I wind up burning valves or hurting the injectors. Or will the fact that this is a fuel injected engine and I have the fi2000 that there is no trouble burning it. I do realize that when I leave the bike sit for long periods that I need to drain the tank. Any thoughts on this.
if it is 91% ethanol per unit of fuel it is bad if your engine isnt built/tuned for it. You gotta have the right fuel lines and push much more fuel then just gas.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I have a 2005 Mustang GT , In the owners manual in the fuel section it states DO NOT use fuels with ethynol . Im shit out of luck , there are no fuel stations around without it . Go figure .

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
OK, now I KNOW I'm going to keep this stuff around for the Fury when at all possible.

One thing - Thailand Dan - where did you buy your Fury? If in Thailand, maybe Honda alters some components to be more viable in such a place with that fuel product.

Also, any chance Ethanol from, say, switchgrass is different than that produced from corn?
Well I did buy it in Thailand but it was imported from Japan. There are some differences in it from what is in the states. I guess I need to look at what fuel they use in Japan.And the ethanol is made from Cassava and lots of sugar.

if it is 91% ethanol per unit of fuel it is bad if your engine isnt built/tuned for it. You gotta have the right fuel lines and push much more fuel then just gas.
No No its 91% methanol its 91% gas 9% ethanol.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts

It is still made from cellulose. Alcohol will dry rot anything plastic if left in for a long period of time. It will also scale up aluminum. We run methanol in our race engines. When we are done racing we purge the whole system with gas to prevent these types of problems. Even doing that I need to replace plastic fuel lines and diaphrams every year because they get rock hard.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
the main issue with ethanol is the fact it wicks out moisture from air where it gets water in the tank. there is a treatment you can run in boat engines, i forget the name but its some blue stuff and we have a case in the keys with the boat JIC we cant find non ethanol gas. the boat sits on the water and when we use it we have no issues

1 - 16 of 16 Posts