Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. I am a new forum member who brings 40 years of motorcycle riding and shade-tree mechanic experience to the table. My wife Jenny also rides. She recently sold her HD Fatboy and bought a Honda Fury. Although I (teasingly and lovingly) called her a traitor, I really think this bike is just "too cool"...except for the anemic exhaust...and I had to address that problem. So I did a little fabbin'...not a big deal in the end, just one of those journeys where you're not real sure where you will end, just sure that you're going! I bought a set of Vance and Hines Cruzers for the VTX 1300, part number 31467 figuring even tho' Honda had went to FI and "special cams" and all that other stuff the heads were probably the same. I also figured that as choked down as the airbox is there probably would be no issues with the mix (because I wasn't messing with the intake) giving me drivability issues. Ended up I was right on both counts. Whew!!! Three hundred bucks NOT wasted! heheheheh Any way, the bike sounds great now - like a little chopper should - not "loud loud" but a very throaty rumble. Sounds a lot like my 1200 Sportster that has V&H pipes with "street baffles"...real real close. So if you're still with me, here we go. All you need to do is fab a mounting bracket out of 3/16" steel stock. You will attach to the OEM frame bracket that is there now with the same two bolts. Once the pipes are aligned and attached to your new bracket, the assembly attaches to the factory mount. You can install and remove the new system in one piece, same as you do the old system...which may be handy should you have a warranty issue in the future and a picky service department. I used the V&H bracket that shipped with the pipes ONLY as a template to establish the hole spacing relationship between the two muffler bodies. Then you fab the bracket, put a slight bend in it, massage it 'til it fits like a glove, primer and paint it, do the final install and say "Hey, that wasn't too bad and damn...this thing runs and sounds good! Pictures are attached. This is definitely worth the $$ and the effort AND with the increased size of the V&H head pipes the seat of the pants performance gain is noticeable. You don't have to reinvent the wheel either...just fab a bracket that isn't "out there" yet. No popping, no bluing, runs great. I'm "good to go" with this mod. Damn it Honda...you've just about hooked me.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! Looks real nice....great handy work. Might have to get me some pipes and try that... only wish I had a small shop :\
Thank you! A good alternative to a small shop is a good (and patient) friend that you can swap work with. All said, counting primer and paint, I have maybe twenty-five bucks and 3 to 4 hours time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jenny here - of OJGP
I am very blessed - GP of OJGP always purchases fantastic bikes for me, does all the work on them including keeping them immaculate. Can't get better than that. The exhaust was a HAVE TO for him for me and really made a huge difference.

How do you find the # of # (500? wouldn't that be nice) for the Fury?

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
That turned out really good! The pipes look 10 times better and looks like the bike went on a diet, as you dont have that huge chrome cover for the mufflers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey OJGP.....Why don't you get into manufacturing some brackets for the rest of us!:D Sounds like a great idea to make a little $ on the side.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thank you! A good alternative to a small shop is a good (and patient) friend that you can swap work with. All said, counting primer and paint, I have maybe twenty-five bucks and 3 to 4 hours time.

so when are you gonna selll these brackets to the less fortunate? Looks f-ing awesome man. I am definately gonna look into this

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey OJGP.....Why don't you get into manufacturing some brackets for the rest of us!:D Sounds like a great idea to make a little $ on the side.
heheheheh Don't have the time to or I would. I have "shared" many little "ideas" like this over the years and will continue to so. Sometimes you can't buy something for a mod and you just have to "come up" with it. I remember the very early days of VROC when the Vulcan Classic 1500 first came out and there was NOTHING out there regarding exhaust, airboxes, jetting, etc. The comaraderie we built in those early days led to a magnificent club today. We can learn a lot from each other. This new Fury reminds me of those days. I don't have any designs on anything other than lending fellow riders a hand.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jenny here - of OJGP
I am very blessed - GP of OJGP always purchases fantastic bikes for me, does all the work on them including keeping them immaculate. Can't get better than that. The exhaust was a HAVE TO for him for me and really made a huge difference.

How do you find the # of # (500? wouldn't that be nice) for the Fury?
Jenny,
The last 3 digits of your VIN # give your number. Refer to this thread for further discussion...Thanks to your old man for the exhaust mod- nice bike, mines black too with solo seat.
http://www.furyforums.com/forum/honda-fury-general-discussion/203-vin-number.html
Regards
JS

·
Registered
107 Posts
heheheheh Don't have the time to or I would. I have "shared" many little "ideas" like this over the years and will continue to so. Sometimes you can't buy something for a mod and you just have to "come up" with it. I remember the very early days of VROC when the Vulcan Classic 1500 first came out and there was NOTHING out there regarding exhaust, airboxes, jetting, etc. The comaraderie we built in those early days led to a magnificent club today. We can learn a lot from each other. This new Fury reminds me of those days. I don't have any designs on anything other than lending fellow riders a hand.
Thanks for sharing the design man. That is what the brotherhood is all about.

·
Registered
147 Posts
mounting mufflers

I bought some mufflers for my fury that are made for vtx 1300 from xchoppers.com and they sound very good and like you had to fab my own brackett but my question is did your mufflers attach to the stock pipes without any problems. The mufflers I received are a quiet bit bigger than the pipes and I have had to do some fab work with that as well. My bike sounds like I want it too but im still getting a small exhaust leak where they attach to the pipes. The pipe without the brackets are only 100 bucks shipped is the only reason I bought them but they do make your bike sound like a bike should sound. Still trying to eliminate the leak Ill pull them off for the third time to see what I can do. If you had to do any fab work so they fit the pipes better and would like to share what you did Id appreciate it.

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
More pics?

The Vance and Hines Cruzer exhaust is a perfect compliment to your beautifuly styled chopper. I look forward to someone tackling a reduction in the rather large air intake assembly possibly routed over top of the front cylinder head?

My main reason for this post is to beg more photos from different angles of your brilliant graft of the VTX 1300 Cruzers. Thank you for your contribution!

p.s. Here is a link to V&H VTX 1300 Cruzers: Vance & Hines: Performance Exhaust Systems

·
Registered
158 Posts
The Vance and Hines Cruzer exhaust is a perfect compliment to your beautifuly styled chopper. I look forward to someone tackling a reduction in the rather large air box possibly routed over top of the front cylinder head?

My main reason for this post is to beg more photos from different angles of your brilliant graft of the VTX 1300 Cruzers. Thank you for your contribution!

p.s. Here is a link to V&H VTX 1300 Cruzers: Vance & Hines: Performance Exhaust Systems
Hi garc,

Sorry to divert from the thread, but is that FJ in your avatar still up and running ? The FJ1100 was my first >100hp bike, I still have fond memories of the experience. I still enjoy seeing them around :)
Now, back to your regularly scheduled program...

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
is that FJ in your avatar still up and running ?
Can't say for sure.*

Rode the FJ for 12 years with Metzler Comp Ks and open glass packs after the 4-1-2 collector. Owned 10 "750+ roadsters" and a couple of "scramblers" over 40 years and the FJ was simply amazing! Comfortable, reliable, loads of roll on torque and very sticky on corners for a 600 lb MC. 20K miles with original chain and never touched the motor beyond oil changes. Favourite ride was Ortega Hwy in Orange County, CA (near where I lived for 10 yrs).

*I built my retirement home on 10 acres in 2002 and traded in the FJ and a 60 mph speed boat for a tractor.

Ironically, OJGP & I had similar issues with exhaust style and sound!

·
Registered
17 Posts
OJGP...... Just ordered the pipes from dennis kirk, they should be delivered the 24th. Thanks again for sharing your mod.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought some mufflers for my fury that are made for vtx 1300 from xchoppers.com and they sound very good and like you had to fab my own brackett but my question is did your mufflers attach to the stock pipes without any problems. The mufflers I received are a quiet bit bigger than the pipes and I have had to do some fab work with that as well. My bike sounds like I want it too but im still getting a small exhaust leak where they attach to the pipes. The pipe without the brackets are only 100 bucks shipped is the only reason I bought them but they do make your bike sound like a bike should sound. Still trying to eliminate the leak Ill pull them off for the third time to see what I can do. If you had to do any fab work so they fit the pipes better and would like to share what you did Id appreciate it.
The V&H Cruzers replaced the entire system. The OEM Honda head pipes were (in my most humble opinion) too damned small anyway! So, as said before, it's a relatively easy task to make a bracket and the improvement in sound and performance is well worth the "price of admission". With over a thousand miles on the exhaust system there is no bluing, no flat spots, no issues, plugs look good, and the FI self-adjusted almost immediately.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Greetings all. I am a new forum member who brings 40 years of motorcycle riding and shade-tree mechanic experience to the table. My wife Jenny also rides. She recently sold her HD Fatboy and bought a Honda Fury. Although I (teasingly and lovingly) called her a traitor, I really think this bike is just "too cool"...except for the anemic exhaust...and I had to address that problem. So I did a little fabbin'...not a big deal in the end, just one of those journeys where you're not real sure where you will end, just sure that you're going! I bought a set of Vance and Hines Cruzers for the VTX 1300, part number 31467 figuring even tho' Honda had went to FI and "special cams" and all that other stuff the heads were probably the same. I also figured that as choked down as the airbox is there probably would be no issues with the mix (because I wasn't messing with the intake) giving me drivability issues. Ended up I was right on both counts. Whew!!! Three hundred bucks NOT wasted! heheheheh Any way, the bike sounds great now - like a little chopper should - not "loud loud" but a very throaty rumble. Sounds a lot like my 1200 Sportster that has V&H pipes with "street baffles"...real real close. So if you're still with me, here we go. All you need to do is fab a mounting bracket out of 3/16" steel stock. You will attach to the OEM frame bracket that is there now with the same two bolts. Once the pipes are aligned and attached to your new bracket, the assembly attaches to the factory mount. You can install and remove the new system in one piece, same as you do the old system...which may be handy should you have a warranty issue in the future and a picky service department. I used the V&H bracket that shipped with the pipes ONLY as a template to establish the hole spacing relationship between the two muffler bodies. Then you fab the bracket, put a slight bend in it, massage it 'til it fits like a glove, primer and paint it, do the final install and say "Hey, that wasn't too bad and damn...this thing runs and sounds good! Pictures are attached. This is definitely worth the $$ and the effort AND with the increased size of the V&H head pipes the seat of the pants performance gain is noticeable. You don't have to reinvent the wheel either...just fab a bracket that isn't "out there" yet. No popping, no bluing, runs great. I'm "good to go" with this mod. Damn it Honda...you've just about hooked me.

Did you buy the pipes online are locally. If they were bought online can I get a link please.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
68 Posts
can you post an at scale templete for the bracket I ordered my set of pipes today and would love to have a templete to go by

1 - 20 of 59 Posts