Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was cleaning up my bike and noticed the cover on the rear head right side by exhaust is melting a bit was wondering if I may have an exhaust leak but don't know what's the best way to check it out?????? I have Cobra swepts, the bolts are tight and don't really see any exhaust on the cover any one else have any similar problem?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yea, mine is too. Im running MFR mongos

Sinister1

·
Premium Member
6,184 Posts
I had the Cobra's as well & when MFR took them off I had the same upper right flange leak on rear and lower right leak on the front. He said that the dealer didn't change the gaskets and that's ok in his pipes cause he uses OEM flanges but if the flange changes so should the gasket ! The dealer gave me a new cover ;) I check it with a stick of incense often now.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the Cobra's as well & when MFR took them off I had the same upper right flange leak on rear and lower right leak on the front. He said that the dealer didn't change the gaskets and that's ok in his pipes cause he uses OEM flanges but if the flange changes so should the gasket ! The dealer gave me a new cover ;) I check it with a stick of incense often now.
I'll give the incense a try I changed the gasket when I put my pipes on over a year ago. I clean my bike almost every time I ride but I didn't notice this till last week so I checked the bolts and there all snug. Thought maybe the cobra pipe is just hot but like I said this is pretty new "I think"

·
Premium Member
6,184 Posts
I clean & polished as well and the area the back leaked from I was amazed I didn't see the melting or soot !! The MFR pipes I run now have lots of cleaning & inspection room. My flange bolts were not tight at the time we changed. My temp at the flange is around 600*fh and hasn't effected the new cover at all.
You said the bolts are snug but are they at the torque value the service manual calls for ? I thought I had mine tight and was totally surprised when I put a torque wrench on how off it was.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I clean & polished as well and the area the back leaked from I was amazed I didn't see the melting or soot !! The MFR pipes I run now have lots of cleaning & inspection room. My flange bolts were not tight at the time we changed. My temp at the flange is around 600*fh and hasn't effected the new cover at all.
You said the bolts are snug but are they at the torque value the service manual calls for ? I thought I had mine tight and was totally surprised when I put a torque wrench on how off it was.
I'll check the torque tomorrow and see what's up.
Thanks

·
Registered
516 Posts
Oh boy....Now I gotta go look at mine!!!....Its like every time I watch a Dr show, I find myself with a new disease!!..Everytime somebody in here posts about a new find on their bike, I gotta go check mine! Lol!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I noticed mine last summer. no biggy cuz u cant see it unless u look right up in there

Sinister1

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
While waiting on paint to dry I ran across this thread and I will throw my 2 cents in for what it is worth.

I've put on several (yep... more than I can count on my fingers and toes) bike exhause systems and only had a problem with the first one! A buddy then showed me what I did wrong!

1. There is a 'crush gasket' in the cyl. the pipe must make contact with it all around.

2. If you mount the header pipe first without supporting the exhaust everything will be cockeyed! When you tighten it seems snug but actually it is crooked enough not to make full contact with the gasket.

3. Aftermarket pipes sometimes will not sleeve fully into the gasket making the use of a double gasket necessary.

If any of the above situations are present, you can torque all you want but will never seal the exhaust!

Mount all bolts loose when installing. Snug the header pipe into the cyl. and against the crush washer by hand....hold tight while snuging the muffler bolts.
Then tighten the header bolts and then the muffler bolts. Torque headers then muffler.

Retighten after 50-75 miles. When changing exhaust always replace crush gaskets. There you go. Worth 2 cents.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts