Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm posting this for anyone who needs a fix for the "Faceoff76- http://www.furyforums.com/forum/fury-tech-performance-chat/141-exhaust-mod.html". If this mod leaned out your mix too much, please read the following...

I drilled out the baffle and removed the catalyst yesterday and now my fury sounds awesome and has a little bit more juice.If anybody wants to do the same all its a pretty simple job.Just remove the 2 bolts from the bottom of the pipes that connects to the brace below the swingarm.Then loosen the 2 pipe clamps on the front of the silencer and pull em off.now you need a drill ,a half inch bit and 1 inch hole saw.take a flashlight and look into the back of the silencer and you see 2 small holes this is the baffle now take your half inch bit and drill it out,you might need a long set of needle nose to get the baffle out when it comes loose.Then take a flash light and look into the otherside and you will see like a honeycomb mesh looking stuff this is the catalyst.Now take your hole saw and cut this stuff out,becarefull not to mess up the crush ring around the pipe clamp.When you get this good and drilled out you will be able to see right through the muffler now.Now what you want to do do is slap that bad boy back on and fire it up and be amazed at how good she sounds.Enjoy

I did the above mod to see the effects on the exhaust (I'll be upgrading later anyway). It was not that difficult. Only I used a 3/4" hole saw instead of a 1/2" drill bit, to bore the center of the baffle out. That part went very easily. Boring out the mesh catalyst inside was a little more time consuming. It had to be hole sawed from both sides with the 3/4" hole saw so as to meet in the middle, and then remove the pieces (with a hooked metal coat hanger). Then I proceded to bore out larger with a 1-1/16" hole saw from the front end. The only tricky part is removing the sawed pieces afterward. Not bad just need patience and the hooked coat hanger. Then shake out the small pieces after.
Put muffler back on and go. Sounds good right? All this will make the bike sound great, (don't base it on faceoff76's you-tube video, it sounds way better in person).

However, this mod leans out my bike TOO much! (a look at the plugs will confirm this) It pops and backfires during deceleration. Not so good! So I found a way to put things back to semi-normal...

The spot where the 3/4" round plate with the 2 small holes (see above before pic), that was removed with a 3/4" hole saw in the begining, can be threaded with a 1/2"-14NPT PIPE TAP(not machine thread tap), buy two 1/2" BRASS pipe plugs, drill two 9/64" holes in each plug, (the same as the original round plate had), and thread the new plugs back in the newly threaded area where the original plate was. Now you're back to original sound, back pressure, and exhaust flow. Minus the mesh catalyst that was permanently removed of coarse. This fix will reverse the lean situation for anyone needing to revert back, like I had too. But you can still remove the plugs to make some noise if needed. ;)

This is a great way to quiet the exhaust if needed, then open it back up later if desired (provided you don't have a lean mix issue)

Hopefuly this helps anyone who needs to revert from doing this mod. (but hats off for trying!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
alot of horror stories with the taking baffles out, so for now i just drilled a bigger hole and its alot louder, not loud enough of course but works until vance & hines comes out with something......but it still sounds good and i don't have any other problems so content for now

·
Registered
886 Posts
just did the exhaust mod

I'm posting this for anyone who needs a fix for the "Faceoff76- http://www.furyforums.com/forum/fury-tech-performance-chat/141-exhaust-mod.html". If this mod leaned out your mix too much, please read the following...

I did the above mod to see the effects on the exhaust (I'll be upgrading later anyway). It was not that difficult. Only I used a 3/4" hole saw instead of a 1/2" drill bit, to bore the center of the baffle out. That part went very easily. Boring out the mesh catalyst inside was a little more time consuming. It had to be hole sawed from both sides with the 3/4" hole saw so as to meet in the middle, and then remove the pieces (with a hooked metal coat hanger). Then I proceded to bore out larger with a 1-1/16" hole saw from the front end. The only tricky part is removing the sawed pieces afterward. Not bad just need patience and the hooked coat hanger. Then shake out the small pieces after.
Put muffler back on and go. Sounds good right? All this will make the bike sound great, (don't base it on faceoff76's you-tube video, it sounds way better in person).

However, this mod leans out my bike TOO much! (a look at the plugs will confirm this) It pops and backfires during deceleration. Not so good! So I found a way to put things back to semi-normal...

The spot where the 3/4" round plate with the 2 small holes (see above before pic), that was removed with a 3/4" hole saw in the begining, can be threaded with a 1/2"-14NPT PIPE TAP(not machine thread tap), buy two 1/2" BRASS pipe plugs, drill two 9/64" holes in each plug, (the same as the original round plate had), and thread the new plugs back in the newly threaded area where the original plate was. Now you're back to original sound, back pressure, and exhaust flow. Minus the mesh catalyst that was permanently removed of coarse. This fix will reverse the lean situation for anyone needing to revert back, like I had too. But you can still remove the plugs to make some noise if needed. ;)

This is a great way to quiet the exhaust if needed, then open it back up later if desired (provided you don't have a lean mix issue)

Hopefuly this helps anyone who needs to revert from doing this mod. (but hats off for trying!)

well now the aftermarket is finally coming through with the louder pipes that we've all been waiting for. however, a quick look at my bank account confirmed that being laid off had taken it's toll. no aftermarket pipes for me. after reading all of the info on here about the exhaust mod, i decided to give it a try. i didn't want to go so big with the holes as to lean the bike out so i used a 1/2 inch bit to drill through the baffles and a 1inch hole saw with an extension for the drill like a socket extension that allowed me to drill all the way through the honeycomb from one side. no meeting in the middle was possible because i only drilled the baffles at 1/2 inch. i'd drill till the hole saw was bottomed out and then i took a small piece of metal rod and a hammer and tapped out the center to give the hole saw more room to cut. i got it all back together and here are the results: the volume when going down the road and giving enough gas to keep accelerating, is about double what stock was. when the throttle is balanced out and you're cruising at a steady speed the sound drops to the point where it almost seems to go away. it's great, it's only loud when i want it to be. there is also no popping or backfireing on deceleration. for anyone with a limited budget who wants more sound, i'd highly recommend this mod. just don't go bigger with the holes or you'll lean the bike out too much.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I just used a 1/2 drill bit to drill through the baffles. Stopped there. Even just doing that makes it pot a little on deceleration. Wouldn't do more myself for fear of opening it up too much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts